The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

AFX ECU and your other thoughts Here's the build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powellds2

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 3, 2007
Baker City, Oregon
Thinking of getting an AFX ecu for my wife's mtx 95. I was wondering everyone's thoughts of doing this as a plug and play vs running ms2. I don't really have any experience with ms2 yet, so I was thinking of just throwing an AFX on there and being done with it. Here's the mods to the car... it's still sitting in the garage but should be a all motor beast once finished putting it together. If you see anything on my list that will not help or something that is missing, please add to it. :) btw, this is my wifes race car.

Eddie Fierro pnp head
Stock size ss valves
Crower stage 3's
Crower springs and retainers
AEM Cam gears
12:1 comp JE's
Eagle or stock rods, haven't decided yet.
South Bend stage 2 modular clutch
Stock trans with quaife
Hoping for a elds setup here on the forums soon.
AMM Intake manifold
Modern 60mm tb
Honda 1/2 radiator
ram intake
DC Header (looking for something better, thinking a megan or obx style 4-1 might be better)
Crank scraper
N2MB WOT box and 2 Step
New water pump, oil pump, t belt etc...

This car is mainly just for track use. I did leave the heater core in the car, but took everything else to make it lightest as possible for the 1/4 mile. I'm just throwing around the idea of using an AFX vs ms2 because of the ease of plug it in and go.... How much more will ms2 get me? Will it be worth it for me? I installed ms2 on my turbo 420a car and am having my buddy help me tune it. Thoughts? I am open to all comments! :)

Really if you assemble the MS2 yourself it will actually be cheaper than the $600 AFX.

Well, they're only $390 on the website, but let's say I could find one cheaper. If price wasn't an object... Would the afx be a good way to go? I think I read somewhere that after the afx "learns" the car, it's almost as good as a good tune with ms.

AFX is the best (and i believe only) plug and play on the market. Its really nice, now sure how well it will work with 12.1cr though. With that being said, you will get more out of MS than you would the AFX, but it requires more work.

There's a guy on Facebook Kevin at skyed ecu. He does all the neon 420a and Srt4 flashed ecu's. He recently is getting into the 420a eclipse calibrations and from his rep he tunes better then the afx ecu.

I've had the afx ecu on my car with a built motor my mods are in my profile. My afx only lasted about a year till I ran into an injector driver problem. I took my car in to install and dial in my safc. I was told one cylinder was learner then the other 3 so they couldn't do anything till I fixed that. My Rev limiter was more like fuel cut right at 6900 rpm. Also my idle wasn't the best. I swapped in a stock ecu and my car ran way better then before. Solid idle and way smoother through out the power band.

Mark bullet has proven the afx to be really close to a professional tune. But Alot of people have gotten bad ecu's according to them. I wish I would of bought ms the first time since now down the road it's my only smart choice. You can get Alot more power out of Ms then a stock/afx ecu most definitely.

I'm working on a way to allow owners to tune/reflash the '95 420a ECU yourself. Actually, you already can tune them (just not reflash yourself, yet). I have the files posted on my google site - https://sites.google.com/site/calsbyshelgame/

They're in the 'Neon' section. The '95 Neon uses the same (Chrysler) ECU as the 420a.

Actually, I need to update the site. I now have a 420a 5-speed cal that isn't posted. I need a 4-speed cal to round out my collection.

As already mentioned, Kevin is handling the '96+ stuff.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back