The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 420A EGR delete

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99eclipseman

Proven Member
Sep 29, 2013
Canton, Pennsylvania
I did the egr delete by making my own block off plates and now I throw the egr code! How do I get this to shut off now since I did the delete? But still am throwing the EVAP purge control valve and it's been replaced! The car defiantly runs better now but one that EVAP code kicks it runs like shit once again! I gonna pull the lines tonight to see If they r clogged or not, because the egr was about plugged soild!!! Car ran like a top but started doing all this when I changed the oil and put sea foam into it!!!:banghead:

i have a question, i drive a 420A also, i dont understand what "deleting" the egr valve means or what it even dose? can you give me a round off of what it is? and also what is the EVAP? thanks

EGR Valve = Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve. It's recirculates exhaust back into the intake so it can be burned again by the engine. It improves emissions but hurts performance.

"Deleting" the EGR is just removing the valve and installing block-off plates.

The EVAP is the system that captures fumes from the gas tank so they can be burned by the engine. Again, it's an emissions thing.

I didn't notice a difference in performance with it. But what is the sensor ontop of the canister right next to the passenger sude motor mount? I tested it with my ohm meter and got nothing?!?!

if i were to pull my motor apart to see if my car has block off plates what should i be looking for? How many?

You don't have to pull the motor. There's a metal tube on the drivers side of the head that runs up to the intake manifold.

And to get the check engine light to go away you have to solder in a 5v resistor. There's a write up on it somewhere.

ok, thanks. i bought my car with a full Megan racing system the only thing that is coming off the exhast is the two O2 sensors

If its that easy to egr delete ,I think ill try the resistor for egr. and block it off

EGR Valve = Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve. It's recirculates exhaust back into the intake so it can be burned again by the engine. It improves emissions but hurts performance.

"Deleting" the EGR is just removing the valve and installing block-off plates.

The EVAP is the system that captures fumes from the gas tank so they can be burned by the engine. Again, it's an emissions thing.

Can you explain how the egr hurts engine performance? From what I understand the egr valve is only open during light throttle when vacuum is high. By introducing exhaust gases into the combustion chamber it is helping overcome some of this vacuum and in turn saving fuel by not making the engine work as hard. Under heavy loads or "WOT" however, the egr valve will remain closed. In my opinion, deleting an egr valve is a waste of time and one could experience higher cylinder wall temperatures due to the exhaust gases not being introduced into the cylinder. Whether or not, anything would come from this I can't say. But what I can say is deleting the egr is a waste of time as you won't see any performance gains or "hp" from doing so and you certainly will get worse gas mileage, in addition to your MIL.

I deleted my egr when I went turbo because of boost leaks coming from the solenoid attached to the head. Differnet peolple will tell you different reasons why you should/shouldnt with no real evidence to back it up. It may just be me, but I prefer only cool air going into my combustion chamber. I also like the fact that my intake manifold stays nice and clean on the inside so I dont have to clean it up as often from the carbon buildup. I feel like my engine bay stays cleaner to but that might just be in my head and that hot tube isnt burning any wires anymore.

If you have the egr soleniod unplugged it will throw a code if you go to radioshack you can get a resistor and put it in the two ports in the connector and tape it up and it wont throw the code then... heres the info for the resistor 100ohm wirewound resistor 10watt pn#271-0135

Can you explain how the egr hurts engine performance? From what I understand the egr valve is only open during light throttle when vacuum is high. By introducing exhaust gases into the combustion chamber it is helping overcome some of this vacuum and in turn saving fuel by not making the engine work as hard. Under heavy loads or "WOT" however, the egr valve will remain closed. In my opinion, deleting an egr valve is a waste of time and one could experience higher cylinder wall temperatures due to the exhaust gases not being introduced into the cylinder. Whether or not, anything would come from this I can't say. But what I can say is deleting the egr is a waste of time as you won't see any performance gains or "hp" from doing so and you certainly will get worse gas mileage, in addition to your MIL.

Youre absolutly wrong. When i blocked off my egr, i went from 24mpg, to almost 30mpg. And u can feel an instant gain in accelaration!!!

Youre absolutly wrong. When i blocked off my egr, i went from 24mpg, to almost 30mpg. And u can feel an instant gain in accelaration!!!

If you went to 24 mpg to 30 it was not because you removed a good working EGR, it was because your egr was bad. I get 30+ mpg all the time in my talon. EGR recirculates exhaust gas into the intake to help cool cylinder temperatures. The exhaust gas that recirculates is "inert", meaning that there is no oxygen left to burn. This is how it cools the cylinder temperatures. It doesn't REBURN as someone else stated. This control and emission called NOX (nocks) or nitogens of oxygen. The higher the cylinder temp the more likely you will get detonation which your knock sensor will sense and retard your timing to stop pre-detonation.

Point being your egr was probably open all the time causing the oxygen needed for combustion to be less, causing misfires and loss off performance. When the EGR is working properly you should not feel a loss of gas mileage or performance.

I am an ASE certified technician with 10 years of certified experience.

That's why people run e85 and meth so they don't have to worry about burning too hot. They make egr kits for a good reason. Egr gunks up an engine quicker which leads to more parts failing in the long run. From what benefits you have from an egr hooked up, there's more down sides to it on a performance engine bottom line.

If you went to 24 mpg to 30 it was not because you removed a good working EGR, it was because your egr was bad. I get 30+ mpg all the time in my talon. EGR recirculates exhaust gas into the intake to help cool cylinder temperatures. The exhaust gas that recirculates is "inert", meaning that there is no oxygen left to burn. This is how it cools the cylinder temperatures. It doesn't REBURN as someone else stated. This control and emission called NOX (nocks) or nitogens of oxygen. The higher the cylinder temp the more likely you will get detonation which your knock sensor will sense and retard your timing to stop pre-detonation.

Point being your egr was probably open all the time causing the oxygen needed for combustion to be less, causing misfires and loss off performance. When the EGR is working properly you should not feel a loss of gas mileage or performance.

Apparently they give away a.s.e cert's in cracker jack box's in the sticks of indiana, and they learn absolutly nothing in 10yrs on the job. Not even common cents!!! Lmao!!!

If you went to 24 mpg to 30 it was not because you removed a good working EGR, it was because your egr was bad. I get 30+ mpg all the time in my talon. EGR recirculates exhaust gas into the intake to help cool cylinder temperatures. The exhaust gas that recirculates is "inert", meaning that there is no oxygen left to burn. This is how it cools the cylinder temperatures. It doesn't REBURN as someone else stated. This control and emission called NOX (nocks) or nitogens of oxygen. The higher the cylinder temp the more likely you will get detonation which your knock sensor will sense and retard your timing to stop pre-detonation. Point being your egr was probably open all the time causing the oxygen needed for combustion to be less, causing misfires and loss off performance. When the EGR is working properly you should not feel a loss of gas mileage or performance.

This is accurate.

That's why people run e85 and meth so they don't have to worry about burning too hot. They make egr kits for a good reason. Egr gunks up an engine quicker which leads to more parts failing in the long run. From what benefits you have from an egr hooked up, there's more down sides to it on a performance engine bottom line.
That's mostly an aesthetic thing. A lot of professional racers and enthusiasts have been looking into re-installing their EGR systems in the past few years for the reasons Lgangler mentioned. There's a small carbon deposit issue to contend with, but that means you have to take the manifold off and clean it out every, what, 15 years? It's not as big a deal as I think you're making it out to be...

You could just install the large EGR block off plate between the EGR valve and cylinder head essentially blocking it off and then just leave everything else on and plugged in. Would still pass visual emissions then and wouldn't throw a code
I dont have inspections. And my check engine ligh is stuck on anyways from deleting the evap garbage. I just ordered some egr blockoff plates, installing on Thursday.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back