Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > 420A DSM Tech > 420A Bolt-on Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

420A Bolt-on Tech: Intake, exhaust, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc - specific to 2G N/T DSMs. New Members must limit their 420A tech posts to this forum.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 29

warped head

i ran it hot and warped my head about a year ago..still runs fine but im tired of the shaking when it idles. im picking up a new head tomorrow for 150. good price?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 6,590
Classifieds Rating: 29
Send a message via AIM to LiquidX
What's done to the head? Is it a good core, does it have the full valve train?

97 ṰŖlΩИ ṰƧɨ Λ₩ƿ

Old 10-10-2011, 12:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 302
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 0
If it checks out I dont see why not.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-10-2011, 12:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: 1985 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Tech Posts: 5,258
Classifieds Rating: 17
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO
Has it had a recent Valve job?
Has it been surfaced? if so how?
Has it been checked for warp?
Why is the head off?

Honestly, I think for not much more money you can have your head rebuilt.
I would guess around $200
Then you know what you have.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Probationary Member

its in perfect condition, no warp...but no valve job or anything. i want to get it ported because im looking at a turbo kit for 420a. should i just get mine rebuilt? what would be better?

scratch that..i just asked him. he had it rebuilt

Last edited by HTG; 10-10-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 10-10-2011, 01:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 68
Photos: 5
$150 is not a bad price...I would try to bargain what you can though. It never hurts to try that. You can also start checking some local machine shops in your area and start getting quotes on having your head resurfaced. They may need to look at it first though to determine. All depends on how bad it is warped. Otherwise you're better off just getting the used head that is ready to go.

Also, you don't necessarily need to have the head ported for a turbo setup on your 420a. They're are plenty of people who have made very good numbers on a stock valve train.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 345
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 1
I pulled a 4g63 head off at the junk yard for 50. but around here (indiana) there's a machine shop that says they charge 75 to resurface it, not including valves and what not. So 150 done is probably a great deal.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,963
Classifieds Rating: 19
Reputation: donniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
How do you know your head is warped?

Old 10-10-2011, 02:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 503
Photos: 6
Reputation: Shake_Zulla is pretty helpful and trustworthyShake_Zulla is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Buying one saves down time, depending on how busy the machine shops are you might be waiting a couple days.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Probationary Member

i know its warped cause i ran it hot for a minute, shop told me i didnt do too much. but thank you guys for the input. im gonna go ahead and get this one. hopefully i can knock 20 or 30 off of it. and xcasbonx. im not trying to pull like 30psi or anything. maybe a stage 2 like 6-10. i dont need to get it ported?

Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 68
Photos: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTG View Post
and xcasbonx. im not trying to pull like 30psi or anything. maybe a stage 2 like 6-10. i dont need to get it ported?
If you're not going to go much more than 6-10, heck even 15psi. You're going to see significant gains with the turbo alone. The 420a head already flows well. You're better off saving that money for the port/polish and putting it towards your turbo, or some required maintenance.

Also depending on how many miles are on the car, you may look into replacing the timing belt and its components (belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, oil pump), when swapping the head over.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Probationary Member

i recently had all timing belt and components replaced, except for the oil pump. so ill save the money for the turbo kit. im looking at 2 right now. any input on them?

Custom Race T3T4 T3 T4 TurboCharger Turbo Boost Kit | eBay

Talon ESI Eclipse GS Neon RT 420A 2.0L T3/T4 Turbo Kit | eBay

Old 10-11-2011, 03:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: 1997 ford f250
Tech Posts: 6,315
Classifieds Rating: 36
Send a message via AIM to bryanwheat
If it isn't leaking or burning coolant than there is no reason to suspect a warped head. You should do a leak down and cooling system pressure test before assuming that the head is warped.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

He may have warped a valve when he blew the HG
That would cause it to run rough

Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 37
Quote:
i recently had all timing belt and components replaced, except for the oil pump. so ill save the money for the turbo kit. im looking at 2 right now. any input on them?

I've never read anything good about the ebay kits, but I could be wrong. Last I read the second one, the fast way racing kit, had a manifold for a 420a neon which is different than ours. I may not be right though.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: 1997 ford f250
Tech Posts: 6,315
Classifieds Rating: 36
Send a message via AIM to bryanwheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusSVO View Post
He may have warped a valve when he blew the HG
That would cause it to run rough
There was nothing said about a blown head gasket. He said that it got hot, and it runs weird now. Just because it got hot doesn't mean that it blew the gasket or that the head is warped. If there is no coolant leaking into the cylinders, no combustion pressure pushing coolant out the overflow or no oil or coolant mixing than there is like a 0 percent chance that the head is warped or the head gasket is blown. It is relatively stupid to just assume that the head is warped and causing it run weird without any symptoms of a warped head or a blown head gasket.

Before buying a head do a compression test, leakdown test, and a cooling system pressure test as i stated before. IF they all show fine than you do not have anything wrong with the head and you are going to be throwing a different head on there for nothing and not fixing the problem.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
DSM N/T Moderator

Tech Posts: 4,792
Photos: 21
Classifieds Rating: 6
Quote:

Turbo kits, and eBay kits in particular, have been discussed many times before. Please search the forums to find the answer to your question.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Quote:
i ran it hot and warped my head about a year ago..still runs fine but im tired of the shaking when it idles. im picking up a new head tomorrow for 150. good price?
Well Brayanwheat, the OP said warped head... So that is what I based my info off
Yes I will admit I jumped the gun on the blown HG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanwheat View Post
There was nothing said about a blown head gasket. He said that it got hot, and it runs weird now. Just because it got hot doesn't mean that it blew the gasket or that the head is warped. If there is no coolant leaking into the cylinders, no combustion pressure pushing coolant out the overflow or no oil or coolant mixing than there is like a 0 percent chance that the head is warped or the head gasket is blown. It is relatively stupid to just assume that the head is warped and causing it run weird without any symptoms of a warped head or a blown head gasket.

Before buying a head do a compression test, leakdown test, and a cooling system pressure test as i stated before. IF they all show fine than you do not have anything wrong with the head and you are going to be throwing a different head on there for nothing and not fixing the problem.

Here your 0 percent of a blown HG is wrong, you forgot that a HG can blow from cyl to cyl and not push coolant, will not mix oil water, or get coolant in a combustion chamber.

Think of the HG failing between two adjoing cylinders, so all that happens is compression swaps from one cylinder to the other thu the blown HG

BTW, that will allow an engine to run weird at idel, but when RPMs increase, it will not be as noticable

But the thing you did get right, the OP does need to run a compression test and/or Leakdown test.
either one of those will show a compression failure of the HG