The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

battery relocation n/t specific

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gudz519

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 4, 2009
boston, Massachusetts
hey everyone i have searched but all i can find is relocation for turbo models and 1st generations. my question is what is the best and easiest dyi way to relocate the battery in our cars. i know the risks of gases and the nhra track rules. i am just simply looking for the how to directions on relocating it to my trunk. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks :thumb:

everything will be same, doesn't matter what engine is under the hood.

I dont think there are step by step directions everyone will have a way of doing theirs running wires, where to mount things, i found lots of stuff on google.com battery relocation general for just about any car, even a camry.

well through my extensive searching i seen alot to do with fuses and distribution block also some going to the alternator i guess i was looking for more of a graph to maybe guide me through i just dont know where to start i know where i want to run the wires and the gauges i am just not sure how to start and the proper way to set it up

Well like i said i looked on google.com look here for battery relocation im sure there is a thread on it.

i already informed those who are helpful that i did extensive research on google and am still stuck feel free to not re-post as i am looking for help not for someone to tell me to do something i have already tried thanks.

i already informed those who are helpful that i did extensive research on google and am still stuck feel free to not re-post as i am looking for help not for someone to tell me to do something i have already tried thanks.
I was going to post a bunch of links, but I figured this was easier;

2GNT.com Forums - Board Main - Forum listings

I like this one also;
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/355343-battery-relocation-car-audio.html

And I like this one for explanation/understanding considerations;
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/350806-2g-battery-relocation.html

I think that may be enough to give you all the info you so seek.

MB

thanks guys so i guess you just cant run the wires straight back? why do you need so many fuses and why does it have to go to the alternator?

To avoid problems just do what the examples and threads show, you sure you want to do this.?

YES is there a reason why i shouldn't? i know some one with a 420a talon who literally did the easy way and has had no problems i am not interested in a cut off switch what is the purpose of attaching it ti the alternator? the stock system isn't setup that way

YES is there a reason why i shouldn't? i know some one with a 420a talon who literally did the easy way and has had no problems i am not interested in a cut off switch what is the purpose of attaching it ti the alternator? the stock system isn't setup that way

the extra fuses and circuit breakers are put in place for extra protection.

a cut-off switch is mounted on the rear to comply with NHRA and other racing regulations.

many people also rewire the alternator with a larger gauge wire because of the length of the wire getting to the trunk. the longer the wire, the more resistance there is for current to flow.

thanks for all the help guys i think im going to shoot for it i have seen a couple charts ill just study them

thanks guys so i guess you just cant run the wires straight back? why do you need so many fuses and why does it have to go to the alternator?

You need to add at least one large fuse because you're adding so much more wire. The battery can supply hundreds of amps of current, so if the main wire ever shorts, the results will be catastrophic.

The battery is connected directly to the alternator in the stock configuration. You should study the wiring schematics before attempting this:

Download Useful Files - SymTech Laboratories

quick question if i copied the exact graph from the first thread what would i do to not incorporate the kill switch?

Why don't you want to do that kill switch? I mean it'd be nice and easy to do it all at once, unless you don't plan on running your car at the track ever.

true it just seems more difficult does anyone know what the black zero gauge wires are that look like an antenna kind of?

true it just seems more difficult does anyone know what the black zero gauge wires are that look like an antenna kind of?

...............those are grounds.........

Sorry, at first I was like "really?" but I realized i should clarify to be useful. The one comming off the battery is your neg batt cable to the frame/block ect, ( if relocating to your hatch it would be the rear shock tower, structural bracing, ect) the one coming off your starter would be usually mounted to the block or one of the bolts that hold the starter to your bellhousing. seen it done both ways.

Last edited:
...............those are grounds.........

Sorry, at first I was like "really?" but I realized i should clarify to be useful. The one comming off the battery is your neg batt cable to the frame/block ect, ( if relocating to your hatch it would be the rear shock tower, structural bracing, ect) the one coming off your starter would be usually mounted to the block or one of the bolts that hold the starter to your bellhousing. seen it done both ways.

thanks very much for clearing that up that makes it a lot more understandable.

sorry is the one coming off the starter onto the kill switch all connected to the power source off kill the battery and the line going into the distribution block off the switch is that going into the same hole as the alternator?

doesnt the outlet for the fuel pump relay a ground?

thanks very much for clearing that up that makes it a lot more understandable.

sorry is the one coming off the starter onto the kill switch all connected to the power source off kill the battery and the line going into the distribution block off the switch is that going into the same hole as the alternator?

doesnt the outlet for the fuel pump relay a ground?

Please reorganize your thoughts into comprehensible sentences. We try to be more lenient about spelling and grammar in this part of the forum, but you won't get the help you want if we can't understand you.

The entire chassis of the car is a ground. Find a suitable spot, grind or sand off any paint and attach the battery's negative wire.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back