Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > 420A DSM Tech > 420A Bolt-on Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

420A Bolt-on Tech: Intake, exhaust, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc - specific to 2G N/T DSMs. New Members must limit their 420A tech posts to this forum.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 06:49 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 294
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 1

Car shakes at 60mph and above?

Ok so i was on the highway going a steady speed at about 45-50(it was raining) so the highway started to become less curvy and there was barely any traffic so i started go fast and once i hit 60 and went faster the car would shake(not TOO much but to the point were it was kinda uncomfortable to drive at that speed). But i'm pretty sure its not my tires because when i let go of the gas it doesn't shake at all but once i put my foot on the gas the car shakes again(60 or over).

I'm guessing maybe bushing, motor mounts or tranny mounts might be the problem?

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:59 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 269
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 0
How about when you hit the brakes? If it gets worse when you hit the brakes it could be warped rotors. Its probably not motor or tranny mounts they would cause the car to shake at lower speeds. Look towards your tires yeah i know but just have them balanced it really will help! and if that dosent solve the problem it maybe in your suspenion. Bad strut will cause a tire to bounce at hiway speeds, causeing serious vibration or shaking even causes the car to wander sometimes

Last edited by rarest_90_DsM; 06-10-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 06-10-2010, 07:11 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 330
Classifieds Rating: 4
Could also need an alignment. Does the car pull to either side when you let the steering wheel go? Unbalanced tires like rarest said could also be the issue. Ive never had a motor mount cause my car to vibrate at high speeds but i could be wrong.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

When i brake the steering wheel will shake alittle but not the whole car so I'm guessing my rotors are probably warped alittle. I don't need a alignment because once i let go of the steering wheel it goes straight so I'm good on that. So I'm gonna go and get my tires balanced and post up the results here.

Thanks alot for the fast responses guys

Old 06-10-2010, 07:33 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 474
Classifieds Rating: 7
Send a message via AIM to SexyDSM95
If your rotors are warped you would feel some vibration in the brake pedal. Almost like it's boxing with your foot. Do you have aftermarket suspension (coilovers) that may not be dialed in correctly? No strange clicks or sounds when turning, right?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyDSM95 View Post
If your rotors are warped you would feel some vibration in the brake pedal. Almost like it's boxing with your foot. Do you have aftermarket suspension (coilovers) that may not be dialed in correctly? No strange clicks or sounds when turning, right?
Yea i do get the vibration in the pedal also but its not that bad. And no the suspension system is stock. And no clicks or sounds when turning.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:45 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 330
Classifieds Rating: 4
Do you hear any kind of grinding noises? Had a bad wheel bearing cause some wicked vibrations on the highway a few times also.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Honestly i don't know about the grinding noise because my windows were closed because of the rain and the exhaust gets pretty loud at around 2.5k to 3k rpm(which was about where my rpm's were when i was on the highway)

Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 474
Classifieds Rating: 7
Send a message via AIM to SexyDSM95
Checking the wheel bearings doesn't take much. If you are getting your wheels balanced, could always get them to check. Rotors could also be warped as mentioned before.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 09 Subaru WRX
Timeslip: 14.943 @ 91.350
Tech Posts: 1,034
Photos: 15
seen this in multiple situations and it ended up being the tires, normally not inflated correctly, hope you get everything figured out though

Old 06-10-2010, 08:36 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

thanks for the reply's I'm gonna go get them balanced and tell them to check the bearings and also get them at the right psi(if they are uneven or too low or high psi).

Old 06-10-2010, 02:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 69
Photos: 4
Yeah, I would say definitely the wheel bearings. I had a really bad wheel bearing on one of my cars before. When I would get above 45-50mph my steering wheel would vibrate A LOT and the car would shake, when I let go of the steering wheel it wouldn't really pull to any side but it would still shake the steering wheel. When I would step on the brakes I could feel the vibration in the pedal also. It got so bad on mine that the tire wobble wouldnt allow the caliper to apply enough pressure for the brakes to work efficiently, I would have to double pump the brakes sometimes. Once I replaced the wheel bearing, the shaking, vibration, and the noise stopped...and I regained full pressure on my brakes again.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 126
Photos: 5
Before you start taking stuff apart, look for obvious stuff on the tires, like chunks of tread missing, bulges, flat spots and uneven tread wear. How old are the tires? When was the last time you rotated them? Are they inflated properly (and evenly)? Always start with the basics first!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 1
tires will vibrate even when not accelerating. driveline issue is what you have. a bad cv joint will shake at accelleration and will not when you let off. motor mount can do something simular too. warped brakes only when braking and alignment only if tires are worn badly or severely out of alignment not just a little, Drive line is where the problem is, based on the info you provided...

Old 09-14-2010, 08:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,016
Classifieds Rating: 9
what if we are getting these shakes at about 80mph?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 606
Photos: 9
Classifieds Rating: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysonseclipse View Post
tires will vibrate even when not accelerating. driveline issue is what you have. a bad cv joint will shake at accelleration and will not when you let off. motor mount can do something simular too. warped brakes only when braking and alignment only if tires are worn badly or severely out of alignment not just a little, Drive line is where the problem is, based on the info you provided...
+1 It's either in the drivetrain or the wheel bearing. I'm leaning more towards drivetrain. If it were the bearings, it would pull to one side....BUT if it is your bearings, the easiest way to check that is to jack up the front end and try to wobble the tire back and forth from the top and bottom. If it wobbles from the top and bottom it's the bearing, if it wobbles from left to right it's the tie rods. Like PGarland said, check the obvious things first. The first step in diagnosis is visual inspection.

Last edited by LD25Delta9; 09-15-2010 at 12:36 AM. Reason: wrong terminology....man I'm bad at that.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2005 Cobalt SS S/C
Tech Posts: 171
Photos: 17
I had bad wheel bearings in my GSX and it shook so bad, but it was also my cheap ass rims that fit for shit. have em balanced, and check the allignment, just cause it don't pull does not mean it's not off toe wise.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:55 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 1
********99BoostedRS, DID YOU ever resolve this situation??? what was the fix.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Nope i still have it wasnt able to get my tires balanced or get a wheel alignment because i had to get a new alternator. Im gonna try and get them balanced and get a alignment tomorrow. Everything checked out good except for my passenger side inner and outer tie rod which i replaced both of. I did all the possible tests i can (jacked up the front checked the axles for ripped boots or play and also did the 6-12 oclock and 3-9 oclock wheel test and it had no play what so ever and etc) And also the obvious checked the tire pressures.

Iíll come back on tomorrow once i get everything done.

Hope it solves the problem.

Thanks to everyone for their input

Old 01-02-2011, 05:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,016
Classifieds Rating: 9
has this been fixed yet? Ill be tearing into mine to fix a similar but not as severe of problem soon!