Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > 420A DSM Tech > 420A Bolt-on Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

420A Bolt-on Tech: Intake, exhaust, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc - specific to 2G N/T DSMs. New Members must limit their 420A tech posts to this forum.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 139
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 0

Broken Oil Pan Bolt

So I was working under my car and noticed I had oil seepage around my oil pan gasket. As I looked closer it looked like one of the bolts wasnt tightened all the way because there was a bit of a gap. So I grabbed my 1/4" ratchet with about a 3 inch handle and tried to tighten it. Well, it snapped will all of about 2 fingers worth of pressure. I didnt over tighten them when I replaced my gasket, and I used a torque wrench, nor did I use nearly enough strength to snap that bolt.

Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get that broken bolt out? And should I use grade 8 next time or is that too strong? I dont want to crack the block with a bolt thats stronger than the block. I plan on pulling the pan anyways to weld on my return bung. Also is my gasket reusable. I swore I read that somewhere. Its pretty new. I did my rebuild last spring. About a year ago.

Visit OblivioAssebit's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 09 Subaru WRX
Timeslip: 14.943 @ 91.350
Tech Posts: 1,034
Photos: 15
i forget the proper term, but they make a special tool to get broken bolts off, think they are called a "tap" or something, my brain isnt working at the moment. Another way would be to take your oil pan off and get it that way, although you would have a lot of oil going everywhere, could probably drain most the oil through the oil filter. Best of luck!
View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-04-2010, 12:40 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 139
Photos: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotowntalon View Post
i forget the proper term, but they make a special tool to get broken bolts off, think they are called a "tap" or something, my brain isnt working at the moment. Another way would be to take your oil pan off and get it that way, although you would have a lot of oil going everywhere, could probably drain most the oil through the oil filter. Best of luck!
An easy out? The drill bit that.."drills" in the opposite direction? I was thinking one of those but I dont have a lift so everything I do is going to have to be on jackstands And I dont know if I can get a drill to fit up and down to get it out. I am taking out my oil pan no matter what tho. I need to tap it for my turbo set up.
Visit OblivioAssebit's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-04-2010, 08:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 223
Classifieds Rating: -2
my advice to you about the gasket is if it was reusable i wouldent re use it get a new one that way youll have a good and proper seal and not leak fluid== i think they are reusable some one correct me if im wrong but ill buy a new one to be on the safe side...

Old 05-04-2010, 09:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 09 Subaru WRX
Timeslip: 14.943 @ 91.350
Tech Posts: 1,034
Photos: 15
i just did my crank scraper today so i got to see my old oil pan gasket, they look very solid, i dont think it would hurt to reuse it, its not like a valve cover gasket or IM/TB gasket, it looks like they have washers in it around the wholes, and by how sturdy it is, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a fine layer of metal throughout the whole thing. But speaking of which, if you are going to take your oil pan off, might as well install a crank scraper

Old 05-05-2010, 03:20 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 179
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 1
yes are pan gasket have a steel inner core and spacers on the bolt holes to keep from crushing the gasket. i have reused my pan gasket it was solid and had no ware, so i cleaned it with brake cleaner and put a small bead of RTV on both sides and I still have no leaks...

Old 05-05-2010, 03:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
N/T DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 2,683
Photos: 18
Send a message via AIM to Locke Send a message via MSN to Locke Send a message via Yahoo to Locke Send a message via Skype™ to Locke
Quote:
Originally Posted by OblivioAssebit View Post
An easy out? The drill bit that.."drills" in the opposite direction? I was thinking one of those but I dont have a lift so everything I do is going to have to be on jackstands And I dont know if I can get a drill to fit up and down to get it out. I am taking out my oil pan no matter what tho. I need to tap it for my turbo set up.
You can easily lift the vehicle high enough to clear a drill with bit. You don't need to use a drill to extract the screw with the easy-out; I would actually recommend against it. Once you drill the bolt, place the screw extractor into it and give it a very gentle tap with a hammer to get it started in there, then turn it out by hand. I use a t-handle tap wrench with screw extractors, but you could use a standard wrench of some sort as well.

If you cannot get it and are willing to remove the oil-pan, clean the block on both sides near the hole with the broken bolt, then heat the block with a torch. This will make it much easier to get the broken screw out.

If that doesn't work, purchase a helicoil (or equiv.) kit and use that.

I would not use a grade 8 bolt (class 10.9) for fear that it would be stronger that the block. Stick with a class 8.8 in this case. It's generally better to break a bolt than to strip the threads out of a bolt hole, IMO.