The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Broken Oil Pan Bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OblivioAssebit

10+ Year Contributor
May 15, 2009
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
So I was working under my car and noticed I had oil seepage around my oil pan gasket. As I looked closer it looked like one of the bolts wasnt tightened all the way because there was a bit of a gap. So I grabbed my 1/4" ratchet with about a 3 inch handle and tried to tighten it. Well, it snapped will all of about 2 fingers worth of pressure. I didnt over tighten them when I replaced my gasket, and I used a torque wrench, nor did I use nearly enough strength to snap that bolt.

Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get that broken bolt out? And should I use grade 8 next time or is that too strong? I dont want to crack the block with a bolt thats stronger than the block. I plan on pulling the pan anyways to weld on my return bung. Also is my gasket reusable. I swore I read that somewhere. Its pretty new. I did my rebuild last spring. About a year ago.

i forget the proper term, but they make a special tool to get broken bolts off, think they are called a "tap" or something, my brain isnt working at the moment. Another way would be to take your oil pan off and get it that way, although you would have a lot of oil going everywhere, could probably drain most the oil through the oil filter. Best of luck!

i forget the proper term, but they make a special tool to get broken bolts off, think they are called a "tap" or something, my brain isnt working at the moment. Another way would be to take your oil pan off and get it that way, although you would have a lot of oil going everywhere, could probably drain most the oil through the oil filter. Best of luck!

An easy out? The drill bit that.."drills" in the opposite direction? I was thinking one of those but I dont have a lift so everything I do is going to have to be on jackstands And I dont know if I can get a drill to fit up and down to get it out. I am taking out my oil pan no matter what tho. I need to tap it for my turbo set up.

my advice to you about the gasket is if it was reusable i wouldent re use it get a new one that way youll have a good and proper seal and not leak fluid== i think they are reusable some one correct me if im wrong but ill buy a new one to be on the safe side...

i just did my crank scraper today so i got to see my old oil pan gasket, they look very solid, i dont think it would hurt to reuse it, its not like a valve cover gasket or IM/TB gasket, it looks like they have washers in it around the wholes, and by how sturdy it is, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a fine layer of metal throughout the whole thing. But speaking of which, if you are going to take your oil pan off, might as well install a crank scraper :p

yes are pan gasket have a steel inner core and spacers on the bolt holes to keep from crushing the gasket. i have reused my pan gasket it was solid and had no ware, so i cleaned it with brake cleaner and put a small bead of RTV on both sides and I still have no leaks...

An easy out? The drill bit that.."drills" in the opposite direction? I was thinking one of those but I dont have a lift so everything I do is going to have to be on jackstands And I dont know if I can get a drill to fit up and down to get it out. I am taking out my oil pan no matter what tho. I need to tap it for my turbo set up.

You can easily lift the vehicle high enough to clear a drill with bit. You don't need to use a drill to extract the screw with the easy-out; I would actually recommend against it. Once you drill the bolt, place the screw extractor into it and give it a very gentle tap with a hammer to get it started in there, then turn it out by hand. I use a t-handle tap wrench with screw extractors, but you could use a standard wrench of some sort as well.

If you cannot get it and are willing to remove the oil-pan, clean the block on both sides near the hole with the broken bolt, then heat the block with a torch. This will make it much easier to get the broken screw out.

If that doesn't work, purchase a helicoil (or equiv.) kit and use that.

I would not use a grade 8 bolt (class 10.9) for fear that it would be stronger that the block. Stick with a class 8.8 in this case. It's generally better to break a bolt than to strip the threads out of a bolt hole, IMO.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back