The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

420a bedplate

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joat09

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 1, 2008
Galesburg, Illinois
I'm looking for any information on removing the bed-plate on a 420a. I have all bolts removed that I can see. It seems like there is something holding it up. I have everything that bolts to the bed-plate off, including the a/c compressor,mains,rods are off. Is there a special technique to removing the bed-plate? Any help would be great at this point.

I'm looking for any information on removing the bed-plate on a 420a. I have all bolts removed that I can see. It seems like there is something holding it up. I have everything that bolts to the bed-plate off, including the a/c compressor,mains,rods are off. Is there a special technique to removing the bed-plate? Any help would be great at this point.

The bedplate frequently remains wedged on the positioning dowels even after you remove all of the bolts. Simply strike it a few times with a rubber mallet and it'll fall right off.

VelocitàPaola;152170420 said:
The bedplate frequently remains wedged on the positioning dowels even after you remove all of the bolts. Simply strike it a few times with a rubber mallet and it'll fall right off.

Thank you. I was thinking it had to be on dowel pins. I did try prying it off though with a pry bar, and it wouldn't come down.

Thank you. I was thinking it had to be on dowel pins. I did try prying it off though with a pry bar, and it wouldn't come down.

In that case, definitely be sure you removed the oil filter housing like Diamondrev suggested.

If the plate has never been taken off, they're a pain. But as stated, hitting with a rubber mallet helps out a lot and even then can still take a good amount of work and time before it pops off.

I'd advise against any sort of sharp metal tools to pry the bedplate off... you really don't want to deeply scratch the mating surfaces.

HAHA! I didn't pry it apart like you guys think I did. I just wanted it to move a small apart. I hit it with a deadblow a few times and a friend and I took the bedplate off equally from the dowel pins. Thank you for warning me though.

can the bedplate be removed with the engine and trans still in the car?

Be a pain in the ass but yes. Why do you want to take just the bed plate out?? Replace bearings or what?

Also holy thread revival dude LOL.

Edit - also don't forget you need to move everything that's in the way to get it out also.. Almost easier to unbolt engine from trans and take the whole thing out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back