The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

impedence of injectors

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleaning

Probationary Member
Mar 4, 2003
MarylandUS
I also own a na eagle talon and was trying for find out some other information on my other car and thought that you guys might be able to help me.

The problem is that I need bigger injectors on my Saab. This though is not an easy task for the budget tuner. I have gotten this far so far and thought that you might be able to fill in the rest. The ford injectors work on the car and from my understanding will also work on "some" dsm's. The injectors on the car are of low impedence. The stock injector specs are listed below if this informatin is to any help.

Type
Bosch EV1-3E, Red 4-hole

Resistance/Temperature
12.0 +/- 0.35 ohms at 20 deg C

Flow Capacity
176 +/- 14 mL
Note: Per 30 sec.

I want to upgrade the injectors to the dsm 450cc injectors. Again I understand that this not a true dsm tuner question but thought that you might be able to help out another dsm owner.

Thanks in advance for any help that one may be able to lend here. :confused:

not possible.. first of all.. 12 ohms injectors are hi impedance.. low impedance injectors are 2-3ohms... thats low impedance...
thats the impedance 450cc injectors on dsm has... second.. the form and fitments of injectors are not compatible at all.. dsm injectors are japan made nippon denso nothing in comon with bosch injectors found in saab... even if it would be the same phisical construcion puting low (2-3ohm) impedance injectors on ecu that controls hi (12-16)impedance injectors would kill ecu in a few seconds :)
one more thing... low impedance injectors are driven peek and hold pulses 4a current to open it and 1a to hold it... hi impedance injectors are saturated.. they use 1-2a current to open and hold it no current jumps found on low impedance injector drivers....

so.. if you want injectors for the saab you'll have to order new one specialy made for you.. venom can do that they have spec of injectors for all cars and can make any flow numbers injectors
but... after you change injectors you'll have to control fuel injection you'll need something like afc (i know saab's do use hot wire air meter and you'll have atleast to modulate that signal) but to gain good results you'll have to put stand alone ecu.. but when you put one.. you can change to low current injectors but still bosch phisical forms.. not nippon denso :)

Good points!

I did some calling around and searches to find out more information which I found very little.

The high impedence injectors can be changed to low impedence by using volvo resistor packs. These can be found at either a salvage yard or the dealership. Volvo used high impedence injectors on their cars but their ecu could only handle low impedence so this resistor pack was made to convert the high impedence to low impedence injectors. It also seems that this maybe on the mr2 but I really do not know much if anything about that. Anyone know this answer?

In terms of size......I still do not know?

Dont' we have a resistor on DSM's, what's the purpose of that, and how can you tel if you have low or high impedence injectors. Lets say someone sends you a set adn you want to know? Thanks

Originally posted by whitegst97
Dont' we have a resistor on DSM's, what's the purpose of that, and how can you tel if you have low or high impedence injectors. Lets say someone sends you a set adn you want to know? Thanks

Go buy an multi-tester from Sears for like 20/bucks and measure the resistance across the terminals on the injector.

Mike

and it should be 2-3 ohms or something like that? Thanks a lot for your help i should do that when i get my injectors

You have it backwards. You add a resistor to use a low impedance injector in place of a high impedance one. DSMs do this. The DSM ECU is set up with a high impedance injector driver, but the DSM injectors are low impedance. So they added a resistor pack. If you use a DSM injector, you'd just need to add a DSM resistor pack.

As far as the other stuff goes, you have to make sure you get the right type of injector for your application. Some are top feed, some are side feed. The electrical connector may or may not match up. I have seen compatible connectors on euro bikes, euro cars, japanese cars, and american cars. It really is application specific.

Brad

Originally posted by cleaning
The high impedence injectors can be changed to low impedence by using volvo resistor packs. These can be found at either a salvage yard or the dealership.

Originally posted by whitegst97
and it should be 2-3 ohms or something like that? Thanks a lot for your help i should do that when i get my injectors

Yep, mine all read 2.3 ohms on all four FWIW.

Mike

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back