The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

radiator smoking, any ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Dan

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 6, 2002
none, Nebraska
my radiator just started smoking recently. I checked the under the cap, there was coolant there so i know it's not low. The temperature gauge is normal. I cleaned all the debris out of the radiator and it still smokes. What else should i check?

it started leaking coolant today, never did that before when it was smoking. I think it's coming from the radiator but i can't check cause theres like 8 freakin inches of snow outside. I hope i don't need a new radiator. And the rear passenger brakes started smokeing today. It was hot enough that when i through snow on the rim it would melt and steam. looks like more work... damn car....

Instead of "smoking", do you mean you could see steam or water evaporating from it??

If that is what you meant, then you probably had a leak which allowed hot coolant to evaporate out of (steam). Now, with the pressure on that leak, it has gotten big enough to allow more coolant to come out at a time (so now you can see the leak).

If your radiator is in fact smoking, and not what I described above, I can only think that somehow oil is getting onto the radiator from somewhere. However, I can't believe that the radiator would get so hot as to burn the oil off and produce smoke. Also, I can't imagine that you would be splashing so much oil out of somewhere and not notice that.

Jake

yeah thanks halvorja, that could be it. It definitely doesn't smell like oil.

ok this is pissing me off. For a while my radiator stopped smoking (or steaming). Now it's starting up again. My radiator doesn't leak or anything i thought it did before but it was just coolant coming out of the overflow tube on the resovoir. I replaced the thermostat, let the car run for a while, i could see coolant flowing so the thermostat must haved opened. I let the car run for a good 30-40 min and the radiator did not smoke (or steam) so i thought i had it fixed. Later on i go to work, park my car and i see the dreaded smoke (or steam) come up around the head lights (god damn it). The place where i work is only like a half mile from my house so i can get there in less than a minute if theres no traffic. What could be causing the radiator to do this after a half mile trip but be fine if i let the car idle for 30 min or so.

What could be causing the radiator to do this after a half mile trip but be fine if i let the car idle for 30 min or so.
Any car just idling will bring the coolant up to the temp at which the thermostat opens but since there is really no load on the engine it doesn't generate much more heat or pressure. Your trip to work, short as it is, may be enough to build up a few pounds of pressure and squirt out some coolant.

It seems like you do need a new radiator or at least a repair. Try some StopLeak in the meantime. It will take care of small leaks.

Rick - '91 GSX

Well it's not leaking any coolant yet. I try to check the coolant level in the radiator 2 or 3 times a week, it's always at the top. Even if i drive my car for an hour or so, when i get home I'll check the radiator and theres never any coolant dripping. Whats the Stop Leak stuff, is it something i just pour into the radiator?

thanks

I had this exact same problem, it was a slight leak near the center of the radiator, in one of the coolant tubes, I tried barsleak to no prevail, I replaced the radiator and it is ecxellent now, after all my repairs I am very close to haveing a new car, thats what I get for buying a car that sat for 18mos.

Maybe I'll just check out the local junkyards for a radiator. I remember the last time i was there I saw 3 or 4 lasers. Are the 1g 2.0L NT, the same as the turbo ones? Is there anyway to tell from looking on the outside of the radiator if it's good or not. Also anyone know how much a new one would run from like Autozone or CAP?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back