The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Stereo has power...but won't turn on... any ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metasonic

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 15, 2003
rochester_MI
Stereo has power...but won't turn on... any ideas?
OK- I just bought my GSX.. It has the infinity sound system, tape player with the 6 cd changer. The cd changer has been taken out, and it has the tape player still in. It gets power, shows the clock, ect.. but it won't turn on when i push the power button (volume knob in) I've checked just about all of the fuses.. Any idea what it could be? Also which fuse would it be? the only radio fuse i could find was under the hood, and it was grouped with another fuse, both were good. thanks.

On my 1G sometimes my radio or CD won't turn on despite the clock being on. Pulling the fuse out and reseating sometimes help, but I kinda doubt this is your problem too.

Originally posted by cucumber
I was going to say fuse, but that's not the dilemna.

Check your ground wires.

check the ground? i dont think so the whole head unit wouldnt work if the ground wasnt hooked up, he can see the time so u have to know the ground is hooked up then..... anywayz

i dont know what the problem could be in this case, i would just say go get a whole new head unit...... the stock head unit looks to plane

Attachments

• 300-170-zexdressed-002.jpg
    300-170-zexdressed-002.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 2,080
its not the ground!! its not the power if its got power to it and showing the clock! try this take the ground wire off of the batery and wait about 3 or 4 mins the conect it! that should work and if it don't looks like its the radio! really i have delt with this in the past and it turns out more time than most its the radio has locked its self, from like power serges so just do that and see!! if not the just upgrade it!! good luck

tony
tdoshi9 <~~ on AIM

yeh...I also think there is a radio fuse inside the car in the fuse box...its down by the pedals on the left side you'll see it. But if it is getting power I don't see how it would be a fuse. And it also wouldn't be a ground...I have question though. does it show that the CD is playing but you just can't hear it? First thing I would do is take off the negetive battery cable while the ignition is on but engine isn't running and leave it out for about 1min then plug it back on and see if it works...if it doesn't then try taking out the radio and making sure all of the wires are plugged in cause there are some other wierd ones that I don't know what they do...but they're there and they do something. If you don't know how to take that stuff apart just post the question in this thread or pm me I'll tell you all the screws and stuff. Don't worry I've done it a million times and nothing will break if you are careful

I'm almost sure that its just locked now that i think about it... but- I don't have the anti-theft code... Would I be able to get this from a mitsubishi dealership with my VIN number? Or am i just screwed? thanks.

Originally posted by metasonic
I'm almost sure that its just locked now that i think about it... but- I don't have the anti-theft code... Would I be able to get this from a mitsubishi dealership with my VIN number? Or am i just screwed? thanks.
provide proof that it's your car and they will give it to you

sometimes their on the unit. It was on mine, but it rubbed off before i realized it. Mitsu will give it to you, I took in the radio and they gave it to me for 10 bucks

I think it may be broken- It won't show anything but the clock.. even when i disconnect/reconnect the battery.. Has anyone seen this before ? The dealership gave me the code for free when i gave them the serial, but it won't even ask for the code... hmm.

just buy a new headunit...you can get some nice really cheap ones from www.etronics.com I got mine about a year ago and it only cost like 160 for a headunit that is 280 in best buy.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back