The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Lights dim at idle, bad alternator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelgrave

Probationary Member
Jan 5, 2003
burnsville, Burnsville_MN
I have a 98 GST and the original Battery finally bit the dust a couple months ago (after a few jumpstarts). Replaced it with a nice new one, and now I've noticed that when idling, the lights seem to dim a bit. I'm guessing the alternator is about to die. Anybody know how much a new one costs compared to a rebuilt and if a rebuilt is even worth it? How about an aftermarket?

Any help would be great...

Steelgrave

Originally posted by steelgrave
I have a 98 GST and the original Battery finally bit the dust a couple months ago (after a few jumpstarts). Replaced it with a nice new one, and now I've noticed that when idling, the lights seem to dim a bit. I'm guessing the alternator is about to die. Anybody know how much a new one costs compared to a rebuilt and if a rebuilt is even worth it? How about an aftermarket?

Any help would be great...

Steelgrave

Go get it checked at like autozone etc. and they will let you know, it does sound like the voltage regulator is bad. So get it checked:thumb:

But also I would check just incase, because when your volateg regulator is bad on the alternator it does the same thing, but then after a little bit it starts to over charge your battery and then your battery just takes a sh$t. my optima battyer pretty much exploded. Well not exploded but yeah. I would just check, for mine sake.:thumb:

I had the EXACT same problem. It turned out one of the battery cables came loose on the terminal. It was still connected but for some reason it wasn't a "complete" connection or something. Trying tightening the cables on your terminals and for anyone w/ an older battery its a good idea to clean the terminals while you're at it. I know it sounds like i'm full of crap but at least give it a try. it worked for me and saved me having to buy another battery.

I had a similar problem, but it was after I replaced my alternator (rebuilt). My ground wire to the alternator wasn't tight so I wasn't properly grounding. You should check that also just in case.

hold on a sec, how can u people sit here and say its the alternator, the alternator is what charges the battery, if your just idling then the alternator hasnt kicked in yet, and then the battery would be just running on its own, the alternator dosnt kick in till about 2000rpm. i would say that if ur lights are diming when idling then u bought a bad battery, u must have a waranty on that battery so take it back and get it replaced.

Originally posted by m_eclipse_96
hold on a sec, how can u people sit here and say its the alternator, the alternator is what charges the battery, if your just idling then the alternator hasnt kicked in yet, and then the battery would be just running on its own, the alternator dosnt kick in till about 2000rpm. i would say that if ur lights are diming when idling then u bought a bad battery, u must have a waranty on that battery so take it back and get it replaced.
but if the alternator is bad then it isnt charging the battery so when the lights just run off of the battery it gets less juice than it should.

im guessing alternator. You can try tightening you cables and see how that helps. Clean the corrosion of first if you have any (baking soda and water work wonders)

im guessing alternator. You can try tightening you cables and see how that helps. Clean the corrosion of first if you have any (baking soda and water work wonders) [/B][/QUOTE]

the lights only dim when its idling, so when he gets going and hits about 2000rpm the alternator will kick in and then it wont be just running off the battery, geezz

forget it if u wanna think its the alternator go ahead i told u what i thought.............. peace

Normal alternators (on "newer" vehicle that has at least EFI) like on a toyota, have a voltage regulator, and as soon as the voltage drops the alternator will kick in, and has nothing to do with the RPM's. On a older vehicle the alternator will just run all the time.

Normal alternators (on "newer" vehicle that has at least EFI) like on a toyota, have a voltage regulator, and as soon as the voltage drops the alternator will kick in, and has nothing to do with the RPM's. On a older vehicle the alternator will just run all the time.
Halloween or not, you dug me up for that?

Attachments

• chachapoya_mummy.jpg
    chachapoya_mummy.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 6,556
Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back