The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Buy GSX or keep MR2 turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm_trd

Probationary Member
Nov 30, 2002
Allentown_PA
I currently have a 1991 MR2 turbo, which I am currently going to sell due the expensive and hard to find upgrades and lack of a lift, which is required for even general maintenance work. The car is quick out of the box and shifts like a Miata, but I’m looking for an all wheel turbo machine that can be easily worked on and upgraded. My other options: WRX out of my budget and third generation RX7 too expensive/unreliable. I’ve narrowed it down to the 1997-1999 Eclipse GSX due to the wealth of aftermarket parts and general looks. I’ve have heard many good (aforementioned items) and bad (crank-walk, creaky interior, slush gear box), things about the second generation Eclipse. The EVO will be here soon, but I can’t imagine spending almost 30k on a sedan that has relatively the same engine as the Eclipse. I’ve never driven a GSX before and am wondering if it is a wise choice to sell the MR2 and purchase a GSX. Is the GSX reliable? How does the GSX compare with the GST? I know the GSX is heavier, but does the all-wheel drive compensate with the extra fat?

Any help/opinions would be appreciated.

hey give some info on the 2, like mileage condition, mods, possible price, etc, i actually have a friend who graduated from upenn that now lives in your area that's looking for a 2 or a miata to make a gutted track car.

Karim

it depends on what you like to do... do you like drag racing? then get gsx, but if you just like high way racing, then get the gst. There is a thread about gsx or gst, so search for it and you should be able to find it easily.

This is the deal.

Is the GSX reliable?

Yes, if you leave it stock. But with any with car, when you start making more power, stuff is going to break.

How does the GSX compare with the GST?

I beleive its about a 400lb differrence. IF you want a car that will pull a mean 60 foot, and you need it for snow. Then get a GSX. I have GST and I would definalty trade it for a GSX. I will spin the wheels through 1st and 2nd and I am still on the stock turbo. However, from a roll, I will beat a GSX with similar mods due to weight and drivetrain loss from AWD.

The 3sgte and 4g63 are pretty similar engines both can make alot of power, but its just cheaper to do it on a DSM because MR2 parts are so expensive and very limited.

The crankwalk issue. I would recommend buying either a 1995 or 1999 Eclipse because they have the lowest rate of walking.

MR2 turbos are real nice looking, and they're a lot rarer than Eclipses. From what i understand, the 3S-GTE has a bigger turbo than the 4G63 but stock runs about 7 psi, so its easier to raisse the boost. Good luck with whatever you choose. Later man.

Originally posted by MattR
MR2 turbos are real nice looking, and they're a lot rarer than Eclipses. From what i understand, the 3S-GTE has a bigger turbo than the 4G63 but stock runs about 7 psi, so its easier to raisse the boost. Good luck with whatever you choose. Later man.

yeah the mr2 turbo comes the ct-26 which is about equlivent to 16g. The only thing with mr2 turbos is that you have to get a fuel cut defense system because when you raise the boost over 12 psi you hit fuel cut.

Originally posted by boostineklipz

yeah the mr2 turbo comes the ct-26 which is about equlivent to 16g. The only thing with mr2 turbos is that you have to get a fuel cut defense system because when you raise the boost over 12 psi you hit fuel cut.

god that would suck

Originally posted by boostineklipz

Fuel Cut Defensers are pretty cheap...so it's not a big ordeal. If your looking to go fast for a minimal investment, then a DSM is perfect for you.

LOL

I have my 92 Talon tsi AWD and in 20 ays or so I'm getting my friends fried 86 MR-2. I say you keep both. I find 4AGE engines for $250 and 4AGZE engines for $650. I think they make nice, cheap projects.

id keep the mr2. turn it into a show car. they look nice with the scoops on the back and and nice wide body kit. and um...........their fast.

You shouldn't get rid of an MR2 because you don't have a lift.... no matter what kind of car you have, a lift is going to provide you with the same benefits (dp/exhaust installation, wheels, suspension, etc.)although, having been around lots of Porsches and Ferraris, I do understand your concern with the mid engine setup. If a WRX is out of your budget, I'm assuming that you mean just for the purchase price. If its maintenance you're worried about- fuel cost, mods, etc... you shouldn't be jumping at other turbo cars. You're gonna burn fuel no matter what, and more so with turbos and mods coming along. I'd keep the MR2 if I were you. They're neat cars and becoming increasingly rare. They may be rear drive, but then they're still daily drivable. I can handle my 3rd Gen RX-7 in the rain, but it gets very sideways very easily. Fuel consumption is ridiculous (about $500 since middle of Oct.)and its still running at stock boost levels. GSX is awesome, but if you're going to be losing money over the trade, then just make sure you've done your math for the future costs of the investment. If a car that you don't do mods too is costing you money, just remember that it doesn't solve the problem to buy a car that has cheaper parts, but will be used for lots of modification projects. It really pisses the guys off around here when we see people take out bank loans to spend on an SR20.

I'd keep the MR2 and be glad it drives nice and shifts like a Miata. There are lots of things you can do to them....turn it into a Ferrari kit car if you want.... Are you on a forum for the car? Should be lots of things to find out there for it. Its a trick car and its always good to be unique. Stay with it, it'll save you money and you'll learn to love it. If you find answers to your problems.
Good luck.

take into considerations the pros and cons on making the switch...compare what you like about both, and what you dont like about both...whichever one wins out get..but i have a feeling u made up the choice in ur mind and just looking for confirmation..go with what you feel u want..a good thing to kno tho is that if u need help, u can always turn to ur local DSM club....a big plus of owning a DSM is the commeraderie(sp?) and the fellowship...latez

Originally posted by Makodhardie
You shouldn't get rid of an MR2 because you don't have a lift.... no matter what kind of car you have, a lift is going to provide you with the same benefits (dp/exhaust installation, wheels, suspension, etc.)although, having been around lots of Porsches and Ferraris, I do understand your concern with the mid engine setup. If a WRX is out of your budget, I'm assuming that you mean just for the purchase price. If its maintenance you're worried about- fuel cost, mods, etc... you shouldn't be jumping at other turbo cars. You're gonna burn fuel no matter what, and more so with turbos and mods coming along. I'd keep the MR2 if I were you. They're neat cars and becoming increasingly rare. They may be rear drive, but then they're still daily drivable. I can handle my 3rd Gen RX-7 in the rain, but it gets very sideways very easily. Fuel consumption is ridiculous (about $500 since middle of Oct.)and its still running at stock boost levels. GSX is awesome, but if you're going to be losing money over the trade, then just make sure you've done your math for the future costs of the investment. If a car that you don't do mods too is costing you money, just remember that it doesn't solve the problem to buy a car that has cheaper parts, but will be used for lots of modification projects. It really pisses the guys off around here when we see people take out bank loans to spend on an SR20.

I'd keep the MR2 and be glad it drives nice and shifts like a Miata. There are lots of things you can do to them....turn it into a Ferrari kit car if you want.... Are you on a forum for the car? Should be lots of things to find out there for it. Its a trick car and its always good to be unique. Stay with it, it'll save you money and you'll learn to love it. If you find answers to your problems.
Good luck.

you have any pictures of your 7? i like them alot. hopefully ill get a tt soon when i get money.

I think you should keep your MR2. Why go through all the hassle. My cousin has an MR2 NA. However he is going to swap in a 3g MR2 engine in there. Should come out really nice. The 3g came with a small BB turbo I believe.

They are really fun cars. What goals are you making for yourself? MR2s are very good auto-x cars. There was a WRX vs MR2 auto-x and the top 3 were MR2 NAs. Like 20 WRXs and <10 MR2s.

Yeah, I've got a few pictures of the 7 around somewhere. I don't wanna post them in the wrong place though.There's nothing fancy done to it. No body work or anything.

The MR2s have touchy steering. A friend I know has wreck 2 of them.

The MR2s have touchy steering. A friend I know has wreck 2 of them.

They do. But it's more of the different layout people are adjusting to (at least teh AW11 in my experience) All the weight is in the back....complete different from a FF setup. Until 93 all MR-2s experience that snap understeer problem; that is what hurts them the most in Autocross.

The MR2 is a well-balanced machine. Stock to stock it out performs DSMs on EVERY category. And fact is that DSM's are everywhere and MR2's are very rare, especially the turbo models. Also I consider the MR2 a true sports car (mid engine RWD 2 seater) and the DSM is a sports coupe. Honestly I would keep the MR2 and save my pennies for a nice DSM to play with.

Keep the MR2... its worth it. Unless you get a GSX. Stock to stock an MR2 has many advantages except AWD can do a lot in cornering a RWD cannot. A DSM is naturally easier to work on because it's engine is in the front. Power to Weight ratio it beats the GSX. But at the same time you put in some nice money into the GSX it will regain the edge. A new turbo and around 10 k of mods you will decimate all. But same can be said with the MR2 the only disadvantage is that you will need to fine tune the suspension for the RWD to perform under the same power to weight ratio. But i like the MR2 and I wanted one before I got the DSM but its all good.

You have a fine car, but its up to you. AWD is nice but RWD is FUN!

With the right settup and mid engine RWD car will out-corner an AWD car anyday, especially a small and nimble car like the MR2. About the precious 60 foot. AWD will own there, but the MR2 has most of it's weight on it's rear axle and that means great traction for a RWD car. I would buy me a turbo MR2 if they where easier to find in good condition.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back