The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need Help On Head Gaskets, Do I Need To Spray Any Sealant On TheM>????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRealist

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 12, 2005
Chula Vista, California
I Bought someCopper spray a gasket HI-TEMP sealant, im just wanding if i have to spray my intake manifold gasket and head gasket? or any other gasket? or do you even have to spray them at al??

Opinions differ on this - Personally I use an RTV type Sealant on the Intake, but no Sealant on the Stock Head or Exhaust Gaskets - DO use Anti Sieze on ALL the Exhaust & Turbo related Fasteners - & DO thoroughly Tap & clean ALL Thread bores - A lot of Brake Cleaner & Shop Towels come in handy.

So can you guys tell me what gaskets need to be sprayed? i'll give you rep for helping thanks. its becuz i had my head rebuilt and i have brand new gaskets

I dont use any sealant on any gaskets but I use"hi-tac"on my intake gasket to hold it in place.I do use rtv on the half-moon gaskets on the valve cover gasket.

It also depends on what type of head gasket you are using. If it's just a stock replacement HG, then I would use copper spray. If you're using a cometic HG, then DO NOT use anything. Your block and cylinder head are made from two totally different metals, The head is made from aluminum which expands to heat and a much different rate that the block does. The cometic HG is made to allow the block and cylinder head to expand at different rates. By using a sealant/spray, you know defeated the purpose of the cometic HG. There are a few other threads that debate this, just search a little bit, should not be hard to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
My head gasket was sprayed with copper spray when put back on, and hi-tac used onthe intake manifold gasket. The only other gasket I put anything on are the throttle body gaskets, and I use gasket sealent for them. It seems to hold up pretty well and I haven't had the random boost leaks popping up from my throttle body like I used to.

intake manifold gasket -use a little rtv to hold it in place

your head gasket -use copper spray on both sides

exhaust manifold gasket-copper spray on both sides and antisieze on the studs torqued to 14lbs

valve cover-dab rtv, torque bolts to 10lbs

Its pretty basic stuff, just pay attention to the head gasket stuff

Copper coat is for paper and metal gaskets only. This material should not be used on a stock head gasket.

TMCRacing said:
Copper coat is for paper and metal gaskets only. This material should not be used on a stock head gasket.

This is funnyLOL . Copper spray has been controvercial for use on metal, not composite.

I've popped so many OEM composite headgaskets. . . On various cars. Notibly the 4G63. I've sprayed all replacement gaskets w/ copper spray. And none have failed since. I'm not advocating the use of copper spray for higher durability. But it will not negate the potential strenth of an OEM material gasket.

I've run 30 psi w/ an 18G and FP2Xs, high timing and a lean tune (very, very high cylinder pressures) on the oem copper sprayed HG w/ nothing but arp headstuds.

Conversly. All of my felpro gaskets have failed even when ARP studs have been used. My old '85 T-bird TC could not keep a gasket over 20 psi no matter what I tried. . . until I went back to OEM.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back