The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Gut Out Muffler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcman804

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 5, 2005
Cumberland, Virginia
I have the Greddy Evo II exhaust w/ a test pipe and the other day when i looked in my muffler i seen these little wire strings coming up so i started pulling them out. I guess its some kinda sound deadener. Im trying to make my exhaust flow a little better so im wondering if anyone ever hollowed out a muffler? I dont have a cat so im guessing this will improve exhaust flow a little bit more. Is this possible?:confused:

You would be removing the muffler basically because a hollowed out muffler is just a big straight pipe. THe sound would increase dramatically, and would echo off the muffler walls so I dont know if thats what you are aiming for.

If you are talking about removing the packing, don't do it. It will get louder but flow will actually decrease, because the airflow will be going in & out of all those little holes, creating turbulance and killing velocity. Maybe just run a straight pipe, hard to outflow that.

If you are looking for more exhaust flow, pick yourself up a downpipe/midpipe setup to compliment your catback and testpipe. If you wanted to gut out a muffler, why didnt you buy a cheap-o ebay unit and hack it to bits? The EVO exhaust sounds nice and I would hate to compromise its sound for such limited gains.

SRT4 utilizes resonators and no mufflers to achieve its sound. Also, the exhaust is about a foot and half shorter since their engine is mounted intake side towards the front. I am going to try to make my own exhaust this summer and try to get as close to the SRT4 exhaust as possible and I will write a guide about it.

My plans so far are 3" downpipe, 3" flex, 3" cat, then split to 2 1.75" runners down both sides of the vehicle, and put a resonator or 2 on each side. Of course, this probably wont clear the ground, or have some other kind of problems, but its just in testing right now.

If you like the sound of the SRT4,just pull the entire exhaust off one and weld it up to your car.I utilized a used exhaust system off a F350 for the mandrel 3.5" bends for my down pipe and rear underaxle bend.Don't be guttin no mufflers!:cool:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back