The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Cam differences cam identification cam ID cams camshafts camshaft degreeing timing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Interesting ? Turbo cams need their own qualities. HKS seems to be the cams to have. has anyone done any testing? What about other suppliers? mark

1990-1991 Valve timing

Intake valve
Opens (BTDC) 26” (Non-Turbo)
21’ (Turbo)

Closes (ATDC) 46” (Non-Turbo)
51’ (Turbo)

Exhaust valve
Opens (BTDC) 55"
Closes (ATDC) 9"

INTAKE
<Non-Turbo,Turbo-M/T>35.493 (1.3974) limit 34.993 (1.3777)
<Turbo-A/T> 35.200 (1.3858) limit 34.700 (1.3661)

Exhaust
<Non-Turbo, Turbo-A/T> 35.200 (1.3858) limit 34.700 (1.3661)
<Turbo-MTT> 35.493 (1.3974) limit 34.993 (1.3777)

Valve timing 1995-1999
Intake valve
Opens 21"BTDC
Closes 51”ATDC

Exhaust valve
Opens 57”BTDC
Closes 15”ATDC

Height 1995-1999
34.91 (1.3744) for both intake and exhaust

At the end of the cam is a stamped letter (usually)

valve timing - all in Degrees
cam ID mark (A)(B.C)(D.C)(EA)
Intake
Open BTDC 26” 21” 21” 16”
Close ABDC 46” 43” 51” 48”
Exhaust valve
Open BBDC 55” 57” 57” 55”
Close ATDC 3” 15” 15” 9”

Intake Lift mm(in) Service limit
Id mark: A,D 35.49 (1.3972) 34.99 (1.3776)
Id mark: B,C,E,F 35.20 (1.3858) 34.70 (1.3661)

Exhaust
Id mark: A 35.20 (1.3858) 34.70 (1.3661)
Id mark: C 35.49 (1.3972) 34.99 (1.3776)
Id mark E,F 35.91 (1.3744) 34.41 (1.3547)

92-94 should be readily available as well.

Something does not make sense and it's probably me! The way i read the '90/'91 figures the cam has the intake open 72 degrees and the exhaust 64 degrees. Please help me understand. Is it possible some of the openings and/or closings should be at BOTTOM dead center? Mark
If the closings were after BOTTOM dead center i get 252 degrees for the intake and 244 degrees for the exhaust.

Hey, I bought a set of cams said to be out of a 94 awd and I want to make shure they are the high lift cams. Mine are labled D exhaust and G intake. I did not see those on the list. Does any body know what cams these are and what lift and duration?

Well according to Haynes again, if they are indeed a set of 1994 cams then they should measure as follows.

The following applies to 1993 and later 2.0L engines

Intake
non-turbo and turbo with manual trans
standard 1.3974
service limit 1.3777

turbo with auto trans
standard 1.3858
service limit 1.3661

Exhaust
non-turbo and turbo with auto trans
standard 1.3858
service limit 1.3661

turbo with manual trans
standard 1.3974
service limit 1.3777

Just use a set of dial calipars and measure the lobes on your cams from nose (point of lobe) to tail ( base circle opposite nose)

Ok, thanks for the reply and I plan on doing that. Also from my understanding the 2g cams have less lift and duration than 1g cams period right? I just want to make shure these are not 2g cams. thanks!

I measured tthe cams and I came out with 1.378 intake and 1.375 exhaust so it does not look like they are the high lift cams afterall.:barf: :notgood: I however do have a 1.3974 lift intake cam and 1.3858 exhaust cam to put in it.

I recently bought a car that was supposed to have Comp Cams, I recieved a reciept for the cams, however, I would like to check to make sure. Is there any kind of stamp or raise markings on the cams I will be able to identify once the valve cover is off?:confused:

Thanks for the help in advance:thumb:

gsxrtalon said:
I recently bought a car that was supposed to have Comp Cams, I recieved a reciept for the cams, however, I would like to check to make sure. Is there any kind of stamp or raise markings on the cams I will be able to identify once the valve cover is off?:confused:

Thanks for the help in advance:thumb:
Comp marks them with a 101-200. That's how mine were marked at least. There are more marks and numbers on them but that's probably the easiest.

thanks.......I figured there would be markings of some sort on them. Would them be near the cam gear side or would it matter?

man, I love this forum.............people helping people, its beautiful. Thanks for the pic Im sure it will make it alot easier to identify them.

The Comp's are engraved with the serial number and model number on them, and the cams are stamped "CWC" on them too. I have a nice shiney pic of this, but I'm on my laptop right now, and the pic is on my desktop pc.

Thanks project, if you can get that pic up I would greatly appreciate it.

Ok here's some pics of my Comp 101200 cams in my shiney head! You can see the cam is stamped "CWC", and the engraved serial/part numbers. Click the pics for larger images.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Winter Project 064.JPG
    Winter Project 064.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 2,054
  • Winter Project 066.JPG
    Winter Project 066.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,848
  • Winter Project 067.JPG
    Winter Project 067.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,854
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 1,870
Man, I don't remember that CWC at all. I guess I didn't look hard enough. :p

And my head is waaay cleaner then yours. :thumb: ROFL

BaddAssGst said:
And my head is waaay cleaner then yours. :thumb: ROFL
Doesn't look like your engine has ever been started!! I just pulled out my engine and snapped these quick pics. Mine will be super clean before the built engine goes back in.:thumb:

project_tsi said:
Ok here's some pics of my Comp 101200 cams in my shiney head! You can see the cam is stamped "CWC", and the engraved serial/part numbers. Click the pics for larger images.

Hope this helps.

Go with a little better spring and a titanium retainer and you will find the engine pulls harder in higher rpm's and revs much smoother.:thumb:

92awddsm said:
Go with a little better spring and a titanium retainer and you will find the engine pulls harder in higher rpm's and revs much smoother.:thumb:
Yes, I agree. The car ran good w/ stock valve train, but the built head will come later down the road, after I save up again. (Currently building bottom end).

It was supposed to be a set of HKS 264's. Fortunately the intake cam is indeed a 264, unfortunately the exhaust cam is not. Anyone know what it is?
Markings on it are 05 over 8 and 02 over R3... I compared it to my 90's and the set of 94's I have and the markings are different as well as this little part
The first cam is the cam he sent me
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is the 94 I have
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

See the difference??? Not sure if its a big deal or not, from my simple measuring it appears to be the same as the 94 cam in lobe size (the 264 is slightly larger). I guess it won't hurt to run it this way but would've been nice to get exactly what I had paid for.

To my knowledge, if it is a HKS camshaft it should say HKS on the cam. Not sure if this will help but, the numbers on my 272 intake is M005 and AD3. The exhaust cam says M over 006 and 304. Hope that helps some.

I have 264/264's sitting on my desk. the real HKS cam will have an imprint of "HKS" and also an imprint of "264" on the other. If it does not, then it is not a genuine HKS product.

any aftermarket carrier will have their name or production company's name imprinted on the cam..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back