The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A Bypass Neutral Safety Switch-pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2low2drive

Probationary Member
Sep 27, 2005
Monongahela, Pennsylvania
I have the pic of where some one showed how to bypass the neutral safety switch (Clutch Safety Switch) but i think it is of a turbo car.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here is a pic of the plug i have that looks closest to the one above.

Can some one tell me what wires need to be soldered together.

Oh forgot to mention i need to know this for the 5 speed tranny spaw

thanks
Shusta

Last edited by a moderator:
bojanglesracing said:
just unplug the switch at the pedal that should do it it work on mine

He's trying to disable the nuetral safety switch on an automatic for a manual transmission swap. Your talking about the clutch switch, so you can start you car without pushing the clutch down.

ndilo21 said:
He's trying to disable the nuetral safety switch on an automatic for a manual transmission swap. Your talking about the clutch switch, so you can start you car without pushing the clutch down.
Boy, I feel like a jackass. I was thinking he ment the clutch saftey too, I guess we'll have to look at the pics next time... :toobad:

From the '99 Mitsu Eclipse NT A/T diagrams: Connect the black/yellow wire on pin 5 to ground. Try hard to connect to a real ground. If you absolutely can't find one (absolutely last resort and not recommended), connect it to the gray/blue wire on pin 3 (this goes to ground inside the EATX-ECM for the two A/T speed sensors ground which is not the best choice due to: the higher starter relay current through the extra wire traveled and because it's through a separate unit instead of directly to ground).

ok so i went and looked at the plug and there is no yellow black wire or grey wire.

Here is thow the plug wires are arranged if your looking at it from the front.

blue/white|green/black|yellow with brown dots|yellow white|yellow|
Red|blue

I don't see any plug like that in my diagrams. If you have the A/T NT harness, you can instead just ground the black/yellow wire (pin 1) of the plug on the starter relay. Don't cut it as it goes to other things that need the ground. Just splice into it and connect to ground.

Will just grounding that wire on the starter put any stress on any other components?

ok so heres a pic of the back side of the plug if it helps anyone

Also can someone tell me if i just plug those radiator hoses since they are not needed on the manual tranny

2low2drive said:
Will just grounding that wire on the starter put any stress on any other components?
It will tell the PCM that you are in park or neutral assuming you have the A/T harness and the A/T PCM.

I think things are getting complicated here and I need clarity. What EXACTLY are you trying to do? Are you replacing the A/T with a M/T? If so, are you replacing the wiring harness for a M/T also? I think you may have to since the M/T ECU is different than the A/T PCM. Also the starter relay for a M/T is wired differently than the one for an A/T even though they are the same relay. Are you also trying to add a turbo? PM me with these answers and tell me everything you're trying to do from what to what.

Just to straighten everything out. In order to bypass the nuetral safety swith on a 420a engine when doing the auto to manual swap, you must ground the small black/yellow wire that comes off the starter relay behind the radio dins.

That plug that i have in an earlier post was actually to send spark to the spark plugs(wow do i feel dumb).

So i now have everything buttoned up and am now adjusting the shift linkages. 5 speeds are so much more fun than autos!

btw: Why do you want to disconnect it? What is the purpose of starting the car w/out the clutch?
If it's in gear you will just fly forward...
If it is in neutral then you don't need the clutch to start it anyway? At least in my last 1g it was like that?

Explain

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back