The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

97' TSI shift issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

962ndgen

Proven Member
Dec 5, 2012
Charlottesville, Virginia
Ok so here it goes, I swapped a manual trans in my talon now it will go in reverse and second but pops out of reverse after a few feet and will rarely go in second, I'm thinking its my linkages because in the neutral position it sits pretty close to my dash sound right?

Check your linkage, remove your center in your car see if everything is hooked up properly and everything. Have a friend get in the front and wiggle the shifter and put it in gear with the car off and see what happens up front.

If all appears to be working right and the gears engage properly, the problem might lie in your trans. Does second engage smoothly when driving? Is there any specific thing that will make either gear pop out?

Thanks for all the feed back first off!
I'm about 97-98% positive theres nothing internal going on it goes in 2nd and reverse "stand still" smooth but once I'm moving and try to put it in 2nd it will engage then pop out sometimes pop out and make a grinding noise afterwards it acts like its not going fully into gear at times.. Do 2G's have trans detents? The part that holds a trans in gear?

yes they have dtents if they are installed incorrectly or missing it will pop out of gear mine did the same not to long ago, i also had syncros bad too

yes they have dtents if they are installed incorrectly or missing it will pop out of gear mine did the same not to long ago, i also had syncros bad too

Ok I might be pulling the trans out again after all LOL thats the risk you take in buying a used parts car I guess..

i now own this talon and still havent figured out whats wrong with it! any other ideas???

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back