The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Valve to piston contact?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talyn

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Long story short, I am rebuilding my engine(it was rebuilt before by a PO) reusing the .20 over ross pistons in a fresh block, but when cleaning them discovered that all 4 of them have valve contact marks. The indents are pretty minor and shallow, and I don't think the pistons will be unusable, but I am wondering what might have caused this? I haven't had a jumped timing belt or anything, and don't believe my valves are bent(will have to recheck after finding this, but the last time I had my head off they were good), also this is a 2g head with factory cams, springs, and afaik the valves too, on a 6 bolt block, I am wondering if there might be any kind of clearance issue using a 2g head on a 6 bolt block, or if that might explain why the contact marks are not inboard of where the reliefs are?

The PO may have had the timing belt jump/break causing the contact marks on the pistons.

The 2g head on a 6 bolt block is common enough.

Factory stock valves will have 6T cast into the head.

If the damage is light on the pistons I wouldn't hesitate to run them at all. I had some valves that made contact, rebuilt the head and ran the pistons. Made 421hp.

The PO may have had the timing belt jump/break causing the contact marks on the pistons.

The 2g head on a 6 bolt block is common enough.

Factory stock valves will have 6T cast into the head.

It's common for valves to kiss pistons in a 6 bolt block 2g head combo? Shit i didn't know...
Now i got another thing to have in the back of my mind.

7 bolt head/6 bolt block is the common thing.

Valves should not be making contact with the pistons at all.

Its possible that the head was shaved, bringing them closer to the pistons. Too much shave, without a thicker head gasket will cause them to slap. But Im pretty sure if they make marks in the piston, it would bend the valve.

Do you remember how much it was shaved? And the head gasket that was ran?

Also, are you sure that they pistons arent indented, like the stock ones?

You would have to be waaaay past min head thickness with stock cams for the valves to hit with the timing belt set proper.

Delta, as HKS 272 profile, all measurements taken with zero valve lash, installed with AEM TRUE TIMES ZEROED OUT. My block was decked .010", and the head .005".

They are .394" peak lift on intake, and .385" lift on exhaust.

Also, I am running JE pistons pn 208478, at zero deck height, with a felpro gasket.

Piston to valve clearance:

Gears fully retarded: (-12*)
Intake: .220"
Exhaust: .070"

Gears zeroed out:
Intake: .150"
Exhaust: .170"

Gears Full Advanced: (12*)
Intake: .050"
Exhaust .250"
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/464400-delta-hks272-regrind-info.html
Post 1

As most stock cams I have measured come in about .330 lift.

So looking at the "Cams Zeroed" measurements then add another .060 clearance,for the smaller lift stock cams, the head will have to be milled .200 appox.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back