The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G mpi/mfi relay wiring question / also rad fan

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jooc

Probationary Member
Aug 16, 2008
warren, Ohio
hello to everyone, not really a newbie but to the site i am.. i have done alot of looking around.. but here is what im looking for..

i have a 97 talon.. 97 ecu.. 95 engine harness..

the 95 engine harness for mpi/mfi relay is one plug comes with the same amount of wires and each wire color is different and has its own meaning now the harness does not have a plug on it just the wires.. i have the original 97 relays with the plugs on them and wires off them.. i dont need to know from the ecu pin out.. but from the plugs off the mpi/mfi relay themselves.. what each color wires represents and go to what wire so i can wire the harness together.. 8 wires

95 harness has 8 wires all different colors besides 2 red/black wires

97 harness has 8 wires all different colors besides 2 red/black wires the same
2 black/white wires the same

i believe the red/black wires are a fuse link so they go together

the 95 has a black/blue - black/red - black white
the 97 has 1 black/blue - 2 black/white

others wires are color coded to match each other.. just want to double check that i can wire those wires that color match to each other to each other

also im about to wire some slim fans up.. i read the thread on how to do this.. my question to it since i cant reply to it is..

there are 4 wires that come off each plug, 2 off the slim fans..
positives get tied to positives,
negs get tied to neds,

the oem are 3 step fans

and once the relay kicks on regardless the slim fans will kick on

now the a/c fan.. will this ever kick on since i deleted a/c
can i wire the fans off of the rad fan wiring and not use the a/c wiring so that my the rad fan will turn on both fans and i dont have to turn on the a/c at all for teh a/c fan to kick on? did this make sense?

? no one has a clue.. all i need to know is the two black wires with white strips.. on the 97 harness go to what black and colored stripes on the 95 harness

Okay.. All I need to know is... 97 harness.. Two black wires white stripe... 95 harness.. One black wire white harness.. One black wire red stripe... What goes to which

So on 95 the black with White strip is fuel pump power input.. The black with red stripe is mfi power input.... On the 97 both black with white stripe wires are for fuel pump? So I can just wire them to either wire and it wouldn't make a difference?

In the link I gave for the 95, Steve's labeling may be confusing. When he says input or output he is refering to the relay's input or output. So the black with white strip is fuel pump power input to the FP relay (which is from ignition switch) - not power to the FP. Power to the FP is the black-blue (which he calls Fuel Pump Power output meaning the relay's output).

On the 95 the black with red stripe is mfi power input to the mfi relay. The power to the mfi are the 2 reds (MFI Power output from the relay).

On the 97 both black with white stripe wires are inputs to the FP relay (from ignition switch). The FP power is the black-blue (which is FP relay output).

The wire colors on both years pretty much have the same meaning. The only difference I see is the 95 FP relay has only 1 black-white for relay input power where the 97 has 2 black-whites. And the 95 mfi relay has 2 reds (although my Mitchells diagrams show pin 3 as a black-red instead of red as Steve shows) for relay output power where the 97 only has 1 red.

My 97 harness has to red wires... All colors match up to each besides... What I said... 95 has one black wire red stripe, one black wire white stripe... 97 harness two black wire white stripe... All other wires color match each other...

This wield be an awesome article if this could get figured out.. Which wire from 95 harnes to 97 harness goes together to wrap this up... I've seen alot of people talk about it but no answer.. I had to do this cause previous owner had hacked the shit out of the 97 original harness... Only harness I could get is a 95 harness which this plug is the only difference... Cause the 95 had the one plug relay.. Well this just happen to be one of two plugs missing from this harness which also I already had the original 97 relays that I know work.. So I cut the plugs off the 97 so I could use the original relays.. Now is the problem of figuring out which goes to which

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back