The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Car wants to die? Idling problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbas Garage

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 25, 2012
Watertown, South_Dakota
I got a 1991 Eagle talon turbo, fully built. Just got the car and i just had a guy send me a tune for it (e85). The tune is set up to run at 1000 rpm. But sometimes it will run at 1500 and stay there. And i got it up to operating temperature and it threw it in park and almost sounds like it had a vacuum leak where it would rev up and down constantly. But then i took it for a drive and parked it again and it was back to normal? Also, while the car is in park (idleing) and i try and give it a quick rev it cuts out and wants to die, (sound like its running lean off idle?) But it runs and drives great while im driving. Im new to dsm's so i really dont know where to start. Any help would be great. Thanks
Jordan

you could have a vacuum leak somewhere. check all hoses and connectors make sure everything is where it is supposed to be.

Thanks, ill get to it! Is there some sort of vacuum hose diagram or something that would help?

spray starting fluid around all the vacuum lines, intake manifold, and throttle body. if it revs up you have a vacuum leak

I agree check for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner or starter fluid. Also boost leak check!
Another possible issue is your base ignition timing. Get a timing light, ground out the diagnostic pin. Hook the timing light up to plug wire #1 and make sure your crank pulley is syncronized with 5deg timing mark on front cover. If not loosen CAS and turn it slowly till it lines up correctly.
Hope this helps.

Also, make sure that your idle position switch is making proper contact with the throttle plate when it closes.

Do you have a logger? A buddy of mine posted how to set it using the logger (it will also tell you if its functioning correctly because you will get a signal from it.
follow the details given in the 2nd post.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, gonna be out back working on the car today anyway so ill try and look for a vacuum leak and ignition timing if i can figure that out haha. And kruger, you mean like a data logger? Yes, i have DSMLINK 2.5. Thanks

Ok well Im going to kind of restart this question and maybe ask it in a little different way.. Like said above the car is fully built. ( if you need to know whats "Built" about it please ask)

Car runs on e85

So the car Starts fine runs ok at idle.
Drives down the road great ( only driven it a couple times due to no insurance yet, and i live in the country so i drove it on a raod noone drives on) But from what i can tell it drives with no problems

Iding scares me for some reason, it idles about 1000 rpm, then if i give it quick throttle it almost kills itself then goes back to 1000 rpm. ( sometimes if i slowly give it throttle and rev up, it will come down to 1500 rpm and stay there a while?

A/F ratio ( on dsmlink 2.5 ) is estimated at 16/17 at idle. But my Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 sensor read 21 at the gauge unless i rev it, it goes down. ( whats wrong with my gauge?

There are no vacuum leaks ( tested with carb cleaner)

I read somwhere that on my log ( at idle ) Throttle Position should read at 10%? Is that correct? I made a datalog and it was at 0, even when i held the throttle at about 1500-2000 rpm the throttle position did not go up on the log.

What are all the things that could be wrong? And where should i start. Please explain how to do a test on the things i need. I am completly new to dsm's, but i need to learn somehow!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Any questions please ask.

Also, if a log of it running would help, please let me know and i can add one ( if so tell me what you want the log to be made of idling, rev, both, etc.. )

Last edited by a moderator:
Post a log of idle, quick throttle blip with it chocking out as you describe. Then with the slow on the throttle with high idle at 1500. Also put a full mod list in your profile.

Last edited:
here is the log you asked for. let the car warm up for 5-10 min, so its not at operating temperature but its definatly not cold... i let it idle, did a quick throttle, idle quick throttle, idle slow throttle let it idle, was idling high, then it actually idled back to 1000 after a little bit.

Attachments

• idlerev3.elg
    6.1 KB · Views: 70
Well check that your TPS is set correctly.

Im curious if your Idle speed controller is acting up. Sometimes the plunger inside breaks of or develops a leak. It will then leak air past the throttle body and make setting the idle damn near impossible. Your car will idle higher than its supposed to. Its atleast worth having a look at.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back