The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Stripped bolt hole on transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdabishop

Proven Member
Nov 9, 2012
mesa, Arizona
Cant find anything regarding this so here goes.

Recently installed new transmission into my 2g Talon auto and while screwing in one of the bolts it stripped on the tranny where the piece has to sit in the engine.(Sorry forgot the name )

My question is how do I go about fixing this? Helicoil is the only thing close that ive found that looks promising.

Thanks for the help

Which bolt is it exactly. Helicoils work real well. There is a version that autozone carries that is the same thing, but less than half the price. Around 25 bucks for the kit.

The piece on the tranny that needs to rest on the motor I forgot the name of it.

but that bolt and I was told its a 14x1.25

Yes you have to drill it. The kits come with the right size drill bit, the tap, and the helicoils with install tool. I don't know the size of the drill bit and tap for a 14x1.25 off the top of my head. As long as you are correct about the size and pitch of the bolt that needs to go in the hole and purchase the right thread repair kit it should have the proper bit and tap.

The piece on the tranny that needs to rest on the motor I forgot the name of it.

but that bolt and I was told its a 14x1.25

A 14x1.25 on the trans? The trans mount uses a 12x1.25, but there is nothing i can think of on the trans that uses a 14mm bolt. You need to be more specific. It is impossible to tell what you are talking about.

A 14x1.25 on the trans? The trans mount uses a 12x1.25, but there is nothing i can think of on the trans that uses a 14mm bolt. You need to be more specific. It is impossible to tell what you are talking about.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That bolt right there

That is a 10x1.25. You will need to remove the transmission in order to install the helicoil if you go that route.

Well is there another option? It was a pain getting in there also the metal piece isnt sitting in and I cant seem to push it in or anything but this is my first dsm so tips and tricks would be appreciated

Since you want options, You could finish stripping out the threads and use a longer bolt that will pass the block and use a nut with washer. you would still clamp it together like that but dont comeback complaining that it was a ghetto idea.

Since you want options, You could finish stripping out the threads and use a longer bolt that will pass the block and use a nut with washer. you would still clamp it together like that but dont comeback complaining that it was a ghetto idea.

ghetto but it works ROFL

yep same here i have a 1992 FWD Laser 4G63 and i had a problem with the bolt going through the transmission mount and connecting the mount to the transmission housing. i ended up drilling all of the way through the casing (not anywhere near the actual gear housing) and just running an 18mm bolt all of the way through to the bottom and a washer and bolt on reallllly tight did the trick for me.

If the trans is not seated up all the way to the engine, you need to loosen all the other bolts and rock the trans till it seats up all the way....
I hope you seated the converter all the way in....That is, spin and push the converter till it meshes on the two gears...It usually takes 2 clicks and its all the way in....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back