The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Good Rain Tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artago

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2006
North Vancouver, BC_Canada
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good set of rain tires for my mom's 04 Eclipse. Vancouver is very wet and I'd like to get something a little better than all season's because from October - May it's pretty much wet driving everyday.

Any suggesting for a good bang for the buck rain tire?

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:
I've never destroyed rain and snow with summer tires like I have with my Continental DW's. I'm looking to buy them again.
The Continental DWS is the best all-season tire I've ever used [on a mazda 3]. Very competent in wet weather but I never got to try them on a sheet of ice or anything.
Vancity doesn't see a lot of snow or ice (comparatively) so I would probably get myself the DW's but the DWS's for my mom.

Unfortunately, neither are very "bang for buck" but both will displace water as if they were parting the red sea.

I've never destroyed rain and snow with summer tires like I have with my Continental DW's. I'm looking to buy them again.
The Continental DWS is the best all-season tire I've ever used [on a mazda 3]. Very competent in wet weather but I never got to try them on a sheet of ice or anything.
Vancity doesn't see a lot of snow or ice (comparatively) so I would probably get myself the DW's but the DWS's for my mom.

Unfortunately, neither are very "bang for buck" but both will displace water as if they were parting the red sea.

Sweet, I'll check them out. Thanks for the suggestion.

I can get either the DW or DWS for about $155 CDN installed.
http://www.soratwheels.ca/tires-conti.htm

I have no experience with them but what about checking into one of the newer "all weather" tires (not all seasons). These are a mix between all season & winter tires, so they have the winter weather approval (all seasons do not) but can be used year round (longer tread life then winters). Winter tires have a softer compound that work well when the temps drop. I would imagine the all weather tires would be similar & offer better grip in the cooler wet conditions, I would think she'll experience in winter months.

If the temps stay above 10C, probably could just go with a reg all season, that are good in the wet. Tire rack is a good place to check out tire ratings from users.

I have no experience with them but what about checking into one of the newer "all weather" tires (not all seasons). These are a mix between all season & winter tires, so they have the winter weather approval (all seasons do not) but can be used year round (longer tread life then winters). Winter tires have a softer compound that work well when the temps drop. I would imagine the all weather tires would be similar & offer better grip in the cooler wet conditions, I would think she'll experience in winter months.

If the temps stay above 10C, probably could just go with a reg all season, that are good in the wet. Tire rack is a good place to check out tire ratings from users.

Temps do drop below 10C but not by much. We get about 3 days of snow per year and it's usually gone within hours. Rain is the predominant driving condition here.

Do you have any specific suggestions?

Temps do drop below 10C but not by much. We get about 3 days of snow per year and it's usually gone within hours. Rain is the predominant driving condition here.

Do you have any specific suggestions?

You could probably get away with a good all season then. I'd maybe look at something that has a tread pattern similar to a winter tire.

Personally I'm not much help for specific tires as my tires are either extreme summer tires only for the eclipse or winter specific tires for my other vehicles. I do know the winter tires I run & the set I got for the GF work very well in the wet. I can say the all seasons that came on my winter car & the GF cars are junk in the wet (one was Hankook, think other was Nexan, but I know Hankook does make some nice models as well)

So most of you are suggesting Conti DW / DWS, but which ones? DWS looks like it's better for snow where as DW is better for rain.

At least that's how it looks to me based on the tread pattern. Agreed?

I'm leaning towards the DW at this point unless someone can dissuade me.

Thanks again for all the info,

Tom

DWSs are great in rain (and better than DWs), but if you can afford Pole Positions, they are even better. When I lived in False Creek for a while, I was on Kumho MXs and they were OK, but Kumho's more recent tires haven't been as good in the rain, so take this as a vote against them.

My Hankook Ventus Evo V12 K110's haven't been too bad in the rain. I haven't driven them in the cold yet, so I don't know if they'll get slick in the cold. But so far so good. And they're pretty cheap. I always run winter tires from mid-November until mid-March.

Yokohama YK580s, they are sold at Discount tire/America's tire. I've never actually owned a set, but working at Discount Tire I've heard nothing but good things about these tires.

I would look into a set of hankooks Ventus v12. I'm on my second set an they are outstanding in the rain, which we get a ton of here. Also you can score them on amazon and get free shipping. :) My friend also just grabbed a set for his evo8 and called me and said you are right bro these tires are sick and his car runs mid 11's.

Last edited:
So far Conti DWS seems like the best bang for the buck deal. I can get them at $155 (Canadian) per tire. Installed and balanced.

I just took off a set of Hankook V12 Evo's because it was getting cold, and they run like poop when its cold. They become very bumpy and non responsive. They are strictly a warmer weather/summer tire. My winter tires are Kumho 4X's. They're an all season and they handle great in all conditions. They almost handle as great in summer as the V12's do. They're reasonably priced too, only around $120 a piece from Discount Tire Direct.

I ended up getting the Conti DWS just in time for the rain. My mom says they stop like it's dry. Thanks all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back