The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Will removing my Catalytic Converter mess up performance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your reasoning for removing it? Do you have state mandated safety or emission inspections?

What is your reasoning for removing it? Do you have state mandated safety or emission inspections?

Better flow/sound. We have no emissions tests here. Almost everyone has no cat has it hollowed

Removing the emission will not hurt the car at all but the environment. Yeah.., i said it. But, you could gain in performance a little from freeing up the back pressure. You could buy an high flow cat and be done with it. If you are still running a stock turbo i would not worry too much with removing the cat or replacing it with the high flow one.

Better flow/sound. We have no emissions tests here. Almost everyone has no cat has it hollowed

If you have a safety inspection than they will still look for a cat on the car. With your non turbo 2.4 you will not notice any gain removing it, perhaps even a slight loss of torque. I would just leave it alone.

The ECU would be fine but like the others stated above, it might help or hurt the cars performance.

Get a high flow metallic catalytic converter which flows just as much as not have a cat according to the test at importtuner.com. I run a magnaflow spun metallic cat and still pass emissions plus gain the extra flow.

Would it hurt anything? No, unless you consider a CEL a problem. And even that can be easily solved. Will it give you any performance gains? Again, no. When it comes to the 4g64, the biggest restriction when it comes to horsepower is the SOHC head. But swapping to a DOHC head would do nothing but kill low end torque (which is where the 4g64 shines) for a very minimal gain in top end power.

So in a nut-shell, it would be just for sound. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be a very minimal gain compared to a full exhaust system.

I would just switch to a high flow cat and call it a day.

keep in mind its federal law to have a cat. If you get pulled over and the cop wants to be a PITA he can write you for it...

State patrol do not have federal jurisdiction. They are sworn to uphold STATE laws. i don't know how many feds pull you over:confused:

All states are required by feaderal law to have state regulation regarding emisions, it varies state to state but one thing is for certain if the car came with a cat converter from the factory it must always have a cat converter on it..

Would it hurt anything? No, unless you consider a CEL a problem. And even that can be easily solved. Will it give you any performance gains? Again, no. When it comes to the 4g64, the biggest restriction when it comes to horsepower is the SOHC head. But swapping to a DOHC head would do nothing but kill low end torque (which is where the 4g64 shines) for a very minimal gain in top end power.

So in a nut-shell, it would be just for sound. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be a very minimal gain compared to a full exhaust system.

my 64 doesnt have shit for torque, it lags a lot, i suspect dirty injectors, just seafoamed it yesterday

keep in mind its federal law to have a cat. If you get pulled over and the cop wants to be a PITA he can write you for it...

i dont care. i can hollow out the cat and theyd never noticed the difference. up here the cops dont check anything. i mean watch this video and you'll know how lenient they are:

Lazy cop caught on camera - YouTube

All states are required by feaderal law to have state regulation regarding emisions, it varies state to state but one thing is for certain if the car came with a cat converter from the factory it must always have a cat converter on it..

the cops dont care and we dont have inspections/checks or anything so i dont really care.

If you really want to go cat less put on a high flow metallic cat and put a electric cutout on the downpipe before the cat if you ever want to open it you can with the push of a button . This is what i'm doing and it works well. I had this on my 2g n/t a few years back. Now on my 1ga talon tsi.

Feel free to post a link to either the federal law that forces states to have a cat rule (but don't let the Tea Party see the link, please) or to the Iowa regulation requiring a cat.

I'll wait.

Police take an oath to uphold the Constitution. I don't see anything in there establishing an EPA and giving it any jurisdiction to create laws and prosecute people as criminals. States have the right to have their own DEPs, and those laws are actually enforceable.

Lol yeah. There is no way that is a state law. The police have no way of giving you a ticket for that. However they will give you a ticket for your exhaust being too loud even if it isn't. If they notice it is catless that is what they CAN and will do unless it is a nicer officer.

You can get it thrown out in court though if they don't have a decibel reading... which they won't LOL.

It only needs to be there if your state requires it to be and you aren't exempt from emissions. It usually never falls under the scope of a safety inspection. A muffler does, though.

It only needs to be there if your state requires it to be and you aren't exempt from emissions. It usually never falls under the scope of a safety inspection. A muffler does, though.

It sure does fall under a safety inspection here in Missouri. I am sure that there are other states that are the same.

So what was lazy about the Officer in that video? He is sitting at what appears to be a school zone probably because there have been reports of high speeds. Station an Officer to show presence and the violations reduce (hopefully).

Granted the sedan is going the wrong way. Perhaps the Officer was doing paperwork at the time or realized it was an honest mistake made by the motorist. Spirit of the Law and Letter of the Law, and it's also possible it's a small town with little to no traffic at that time in that area to help establish that it was an honest mistake.

Until you put yourself in the shoes of an Officer and have taken the Oath and wear the badge, don't criticize an Officer.

So what was lazy about the Officer in that video? He is sitting at what appears to be a school zone probably because there have been reports of high speeds. Station an Officer to show presence and the violations reduce (hopefully).

If there were stop signs on the intersection for the cross-road which were out of view then that's a different story. From what I saw, he is doing nothing wrong.

He is parked at a stop sign, and laws at least here state you cant park 30 feet infront of a stop sign. :thumb:

He also didn't pull over the person going the opposite way in a one way street.

It's funny that everyone in the world is supposed to buy a Prius but cops have historically been given giant boats of cars that are gas guzzlers, and they're allowed to sit there with the thing running with A/C all day.

he is parked at a stop sign, and laws at least here state you cant park 30 feet infront of a stop sign :thumb:

he also didnt pull over the person going the opposite way in a one way street.

I am sure you are more aware of what laws that police are supposed to follow than the police officer in the video. They are able to do things that the rest of us aren't in order to do their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back