The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Low Idle and car shuts off

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotmyeclipse

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 26, 2012
Hayward, California
Hi there i have a bit of a problem, i have an A/T dsm and its acting like a M/t, sometimes when i go to a full stop, my car engine will idle really low and then shut off. thing is i have an A/T and i dont think thats suppose to happen, i had to pump gas for the engine to keep going or put in on neutral when im on a stop. Any body has experienced this before?

I had a lot of idle issues with my 1g, when cruising I couldn't keep a constant speed because my idling was messed up. Lost story short, I was having an idle surge which was cause by a boost leak. My 1g would bounce around at a stopped idle going between ~600 to ~1200. I found a major boost leak and fixed some smaller ones and it fixed my idle issues. After that I was idling at a constant 1100 and it fixed my idle surges while driving. Have you ever had any issues with a boost leak? It might be something to look into anyways. hope this helps

As stated, check for vacuum leaks. My gs did something similar.

thanks!

I had a lot of idle issues with my 1g, when cruising I couldn't keep a constant speed because my idling was messed up. Lost story short, I was having an idle surge which was cause by a boost leak. My 1g would bounce around at a stopped idle going between ~600 to ~1200. I found a major boost leak and fixed some smaller ones and it fixed my idle issues. After that I was idling at a constant 1100 and it fixed my idle surges while driving. Have you ever had any issues with a boost leak? It might be something to look into anyways. hope this helps

any idea how much does it cost to get that fixed?

Boost leaks aren't typically expensive, my big leak was from a gash in the pcv tube from the vc to the intake mani. Hoses are pretty cheap, like maybe a dollar per foot, I used fuel lines cause they are thicker and a lot More reliable, and that was like 2 dollars per foot or something like that. Most boost/vacuum leaks are gonna be from small tubing that either got punctured or clamp is going back. Have you ever done a blt? It's easy to find your leaks that way.

Possibly a large air/vacuum leak.... Do you have any CEL's that you know of? If not, then double check. Any work done on the car recently? I would start there. A good way to find (air/vacuum leaks) is (cigarette smoke) or (dark-colored smoke), even if you do not smoke as I do not either.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back