The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

To pull of not to pull? that is a desicion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hesh724

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 7, 2009
Hopewell, Pennsylvania
I am pulling my trans in a few days once my new one arrives but i want to do the balance shafts as well and maybe baffle the sump but i am wondering since im pulling the trans how much harder is it to just take the engine out with the trans still attached. and re-install that way as well. may make the whole job easier huh?

Thank you,

With it harder if you ask me but everyone has there own idea so it will fall on you, trans more weight, no trans less weight less work. Pull trans off and pull the block off i never pulled mine with trans on and ive pulled them too many times LOL.

I don't mind doing it that way, in all honesty if you're doing all of that then I'd highly suggest pulling the engine with the tranny. If you were just doing a tranny then I'd say leave it in though.

Pull it all, you will thank yourself later... .

+1 If you just pull the trans, then you have to get it back in and lined up which can be a huge pain. Then you still have to eliminate the balance shafts which is also a huge pain with the motor in the car. It may be more work to pul it all, but it'll be worth it in the end.

This ^

In this case the little bit of more work will actually save you a lot more trouble trying to do a lot of things.

With the trans and motor siting in front of you on the ground if you have an issues with say your clutch fork not being centered it will only take a min to pull it back off and address any issues... .

Also, as said above pulling your front case with the motor in. Your going to have all sorts of clearance issues... .

Definitely pull it all! i've pulled just the transmission before on a 4cylinder and it is a bi*** to get it back up into place, lined up, slid in, etc etc. That also helped me with getting a scar just under my eye, didn't have a transmission jack so i just chested it up into place, slid under and was lining it up, ended up falling loose and coming right down on my face.

It goes so much easier if you just pull it all, I did a motor swap keeping my trans off the old motor, from pulling into the garage, pulling the motor, replacing and being able to drive out it took me less then 8 hours. I think it was nearer to 6, i was the only one throwin a wrench and took a couple quick breaks for food and whatnot.

I get a hand with the install of my trans takes a bit but it works, i dont like banging up my body when it goes back in. But im in no rush the job takes a while for me while i get it all lined up and to my specs anyway. So get to pulling.

Only time I pull or install both engine and trans together is an auto. 1g's and 2g's I just hang over the fender and lift the trans up and on. If you decide to pull them together you'll want to have a load leveler so you can pull it up on an angle and not hit the body.

ok so im pulling it all as i am redoin the timing and doing the bshaft delete finaly! plus i just want to do an overall cleaning and inspection and stuff. I am also doing a minor wire tuck. the clutch and cable and all should be here tomorow along with the trans its self. I bouht a brand new oem oil pump that has the Stuffby shaft installed alerady. so ijust need to swap and spin those bearings. I have seen a really good youtube video of the whole job and it did look easy with the load leverer. harbor freight has one for around 50 ill be picking that up today. Thanks for all the responses!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back