The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1995 GSX Project "RedSun" Restore then Gymkhana

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is a major yet premature journal update.

I have just traded my Red 95 GSX for a Black 98 GSX:thumb:
I have no abondoned or changed my Project Redsun goals or ambitions except for body restoration. I will no longer need to do a partial or full 2GB conversion with highrise spoiler. I will not be doing a hardtop conversion. Instead I will be getting paint repair and rust prevention.

Basically heres what went down.

Last night I met up with a fellow DSMer whom I was waiting to purchase this 98 GSX from. He babied this car, which is all stock, he recently had all the interior redone. This car is very well taken car of. He sold it to a sailor on pearl harbor who didnt really have a full graspe of what kind of care these DSMs need. So I sought out this new DSMer in hopes they would trade me. His and my opposites were in tuned. He wanted a beast machine capable of high horse power he would only drive on weekends. I wanted a stock fully restored DSM I could slightly dip my toes into the world of Gymkhana with. I traded my faults for his faults.

My leaks for his leaks. My bodywork needs for his rough idle. My bigger turbo for his stock turbo. This was a straight trade involving no money. We even became friends and I aggreed to do work on the car if he needed help because lets face it. Shops dont know crap about these cars!

But enough of me yammering on! The project name hasnt changed, which in a few months you will see why it is called Project Redsun. The goals are the same. Just alot of the work is done for me which is fine.

Attachments

• IMAG0593.jpg
    IMAG0593.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMAG0591.jpg
    IMAG0591.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMAG0592.jpg
    IMAG0592.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMAG0594.jpg
    IMAG0594.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 153
d036058f-5e26-dcb2.jpg

Keeping your dsm clean and tidy is not only our obsession but it is also apart of our general maintenance. No only does it keep our girls sexy and sleek, but it helps prevent paint damage, fading and our biggest enemy... Rust.

A good maintenance schedule is nothing without frequent cleaning, and detailing of our disappearing beauties. Remember to wash, wax and clearcoat protectant as often as you so can, and as much as you fight it. Don't. Yeah I may seem a bit obsessive washing my DSM every 3 to 4 days but. The end result... Well... See for yourself

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1329880834225.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329880834225.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 146
  • uploadfromtaptalk1329880858652.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329880858652.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 140
  • uploadfromtaptalk1329880888036.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329880888036.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 141
  • uploadfromtaptalk1329880944292.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329880944292.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 146
  • uploadfromtaptalk1329880968094.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329880968094.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 141
d036058f-5fb7-ba5e.jpg

Grab a tissue. Updates of pure sexy Redsun are not only an important part of my journal, but I like to call them... "DSM Seduction"

Enjoy.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1329881072137.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329881072137.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 130
  • uploadfromtaptalk1329881105543.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329881105543.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 148
Okay tuners it is time for another update on project “RedSun”. A lot has happened in the last 2 weeks and I’m long overdue for this update to my first journal with you all at DSMtuners. My project has shifted a bit since my car for car trade with a not so proud owner of my current black 98 GSX but after a very exciting trade with him he is now a very proud and happy owner of a 95 GSX 6 bolt and me a 98 GSX 7 bolt. Enough with the recap it’s all in the history books. Now it’s time to restate my goals and all the changes to them.

Goals :
100% COMPLETE *Full 2Ga to 2Gb Conversion w/ Hardtop conversion w/High Rise Spoiler

*Full restoration of the exterior Paint Touchup’s and Window Tint

*Interior remodel (Racing seats, Sound system, )

*Return 100% of mechanical functionality (In-completed and unaccomplished services , Sensors, Troubleshoot and remove check engine codes, etc..)

*Stage 1 Upgrade Path (To include T28 Turbo, AEM Wideband, Boost gauge, Voltmeter gauge, OBD2 Readout gauge)

*Suspension (Hotbits DT1 Suspension System)

50% Complete *Full engine bay cleanup and dress

Here are the upgrade parts and what I’ve done so far:

NGR Greddy Style BOV ( Will I ever get my NGR Performance BOV? )

Installed - Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator,
Installed - Mishimoto Fan shroud kit,
Installed - Mishimoto Silicone Radiator Hoses Received -Mishimoto Street Style intercooler (Black)
Installed - MIT OEM Sparkplug cover
Installed - MIT OEM BOV Recirculation Tube

Received -Mishimoto Street Style intercooler (Black)
Received - Driver Side door cap
Received - Wink Mirror (I love them this time no stickers)
Received - Bonehead Performance Oil Feed Line Kit

Rebuilt on 14B - OEM 14B/16G/20G Waste gate Actuator
Rebuilt on 14B - 14B Turbine Shaft/wheel
Rebuilt on 14B - 14B TD05H Rebuild kit

So I traded my lightly modified 95 GSX for a completely stock 98 GSX, which has a nearly flawless body along with the 2GB body style I’ve long awaited. Leaving the older 95 2Ga GSX was one of the better decisions I’ve made in my time with DSM’s. It was argued in the forums that 2Ga’s should be left 2Ga’s. I’m not too much of a fan of the 2Ga body style, but I have enough respect for DSM’s to leave it alone and no “butcher” a perfectly fine looking car. Anyway aside from that I’ve decided that within my exterior portion of the restoration Achieving the 2Gb body I want was very successful, and I’ve also decided to NOT do a hardtop conversion. One of the main reasons I wanted a hardtop 2Gb is because rust always likes to form on the sunroof assembly. In this cars case, there is no rust or signs of rust on the sunroof assembly, and as long as I continue to take care of that general area after heavy rain or washing I should be fine. Sunroofs add a nice accent to the car I must say. The only thing left for me to do with the exterior part of my restoration is to fix the sun damage on the roof and the high rise spoiler. This shouldn’t cost too much or be too hard.

The interior of this car is spectacular. Not only is it very clean and well kept, there’s no sun or heat damage inside the car, all the body panels are present and undamaged. There is is new black carpet all the way to the truck space, and new black suede headliner which adds a nice touch to the GSX. Along with the inside the car features the OEM stereo/CD player. Of course it is in lockdown mode and I haven’t had any luck with contacting Mitsubishi on getting the code for it. This weekend when I open up the interior panels and check my ECU and electronic equipment I’ll see about getting the unlock code. I’ll be leaving most of the interior alone since it is in such good condition but I will be replacing the sets with black leather racing seats and adding my listed AEM gauges and other electronic mediums inside (Future updates)

The engine bay is well stock. Except for some upper hard piping and a Authentic Greddy Type S BOV, which the adjusting bolt stripped when I was adjusting. But that’s okay hopefully my NGR Type S will be here soon ( Will I ever get my NGR Performance BOV? ). I plan on upgrading the turbo with a true bolt on with performance in mind T28 Turbocharger. I also plan on either using my Mishimoto FMIC or another SMIC for the 98 GSX. My current SMIC has a hole in it I’ve repaired with Aluminum Epoxy. It was a quick fix at a gas station but seems to be holding well, and was the source of my boost leak. I could possibly still be leaking boost which might be the reason my boost isn’t “knock you in your seat powerful” or it could be the very stock T25 turbo I currently have on there. My DSM isn’t the fabled 98 GSX I’ve read about on the forums so I am a tad disappointed but then again. Power wasn’t meant o be purchased outright, you have to work towards it. I am at ease as my engine bay is free of tangled unorganized wires leading to nothing, and missing components here and there. I have NO LEAKS. This is a first for me in any used car ESPECIALLY a DSM. Unlike the other GSX I’ve found nothing wrong with the vacuum lines except the ones leading to the WG. Thanks to John over on Big Island I was able to do the BCS mod. Although my car isn’t running right now because of a fuel pressure solenoid (Did Seafoam kill my car? )

My Exhaust system is stock as well. I have no idea really what kind of system I will be putting on this beautiful machine, but I know I’m not going to make the same mistake as to getting a 3in straight pipe system with Apexi turbo back muffler ( Rally Exhaust? ) I’m more so considering a 3 in downpipe, 2.5 in Piping with a resonator and HKS turbo Muffler or Apexi. I feel like with this setup I won’t hear the annoying sounds I hear from Hondas. But all of this costs money which I am no unfortunately short of. Hell my car doesn’t start because of a fuel pressure solenoid and I cant really afford to fix that because of the lawyer fees I’m now paying from a Racing on highway charge and speeding above 81 MPH ( Need a Jailhouse Lawyer ). But I’ve been getting a lot of help from my friend John over on Big island and without him I would be up a creek without a paddle. After all of my legal troubles are solved I’ll continue full speed with Project “RedSun”. You all are probably wondering why I’m still calling it “RedSun”. You’ll understand in either the next project update or a very near future update from me.

Before I hit you with all my photo updates for Project “RedSun” I would like to give thanks to the following.

Dsmkauai – John – You da man!
Jonathan Hopkins – Awesome advice
4Lurker4 – Thanks you so much for support
JusMX141 – King of Turbos
DSMtuners – Unrivaled IT support
O’riely Auto – After closing parts lookup and sales.
Mike – For helping me track down the new owner of this rare gem
Amazon.com – Every aftermarket, replacement and maintenance need all in one place
Bonehead Performance
Mishimoto - Below is a video of thier product.
Mishimoto Radiator and Fan Shroud installed

Attachments

• IMAG0653-1.jpg
    IMAG0653-1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMAG0654-1.jpg
    IMAG0654-1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMAG0658-1.jpg
    IMAG0658-1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMAG0714.jpg
    IMAG0714.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMAG0710.jpg
    IMAG0710.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMAG0708.jpg
    IMAG0708.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMAG0709.jpg
    IMAG0709.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMAG0712.jpg
    IMAG0712.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMAG0711.jpg
    IMAG0711.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMAG0677-1.jpg
    IMAG0677-1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMAG0676.jpg
    IMAG0676.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG0681.jpg
    IMAG0681.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMAG0648-1.jpg
    IMAG0648-1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Goodluck on your build bro, but I don't think your FPS is the cause of your no start problem as you mentioned.

Hell my car doesn't start because of a fuel pressure solenoid

The FPS is there mainly to adjust your fuel pressure when your car is already hot. You may want to strart trouble shooting elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the last CEL that was read before my car shutdown was the FPS. But of course I'd have to diagnose it and attempt many different things before I figure out the actual problems. No biggie.

Subscribed! You sir are one hell of a mech. I'll definitely be jotting down some notes for any future builds I get myself into. Cannot wait to see this car be revamped!

After recent events concerning my fuel system. My car sustained damages to the stock fuel lines leading from the tank to the filter and rail. After some simple "DIY" testing I've concluded that a near full fuel system replacement and upgradeis in order. After further discovery I found my OEM fuel rail was being held on by only 1 fuel rail bolt and spacer. This was a scarey discovery, even though it was on there pretty solid. Definatly not the safest thing to find and know in the back of your head so.

I complied a short list of things I'll be needing for this much needed upgrade and replacement:

(4) 450cc Injectors (OEM)
8 - 10 ft of -6AN SS fuel line
Inline Fuel Filter
(2) Fuel Rail Spacers
(2) Fuel Rail mounting bolts
Walbro 190 LPH Fuel Pump (Kit perfered)

Hopefully as long as the finances work out I can requsition most if not all of these items from here:
STM Fuel Tank to Rail Kit
DSM parts Walbro 190 Kit
Spacers
Rail Bolts

I considered going with STM's double pump hanger kit but its insanely expensive and I wont be needing a double fuel pump setup for the low HP numbers I will be going for eventually. And I do not really like purchasing parts from vendors solely based on thier prices and the recent lack of shipping ability by them. The injectos I can get from my local autoparts store of used from a donor car. Although a fuel system upgrade isnt something I wanted to do to this scale its not needed more than ever in light of recent events. Hopefully I can find these specific parts elsewhere, especilly if I can get these parts locally from shops or parts stores on Oahu.

I had the hardest time getting all the lines off of the the stock fuel pump hanger in the RedSun and ended up with the beginnings of a stripping nut on the hardline end of the fuel line to the rail from the tank end. I just called it quits at the moment. If I end up breaking yet another hard line its going to cost me more money. Visegrips and the plathora of tools I have at my disposal did nothing to ease this removal of the old stuck lines on my car. But another day further down the rod might see an easier way. I've considered the possibility of just replacing the whole assembly all together.

Things arent looking up for Project RedSun at the moment. In fact, they are looking far from good, and the fear of abandonment of the whole thing weighs heavily on wether or not fixing my current "No start" issue after replacement of practically the entire fuel system will get this car back on the road.

The next two weeks will decide that.

Attachments

• IMAG0723.jpg
    IMAG0723.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMAG0724.jpg
    IMAG0724.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMAG0722.jpg
    IMAG0722.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 115
So alot of you know the Redsun has been down for a no start and fuel system issues, but hey that doesnt mean the project stops completely. Im not going to post up everything so prematurely but I felt that the subscribers and followers of this journal deserve something so it doesnt go stale on them.

Thanks to the awesome help, contributions and motivational support from DSMkuai, Johnathon Hopkins, Twix and my new friends at STM I've been trickling in small parts here and there to get the Redsun back on the road and back track! I whole heartly appreiciate all of your support, advise and relentless love for DSMs and in helping me guys, thank you.

Thats right everything is pretty much on track, except for a few things that had to be pushed back a month or two or were placed on an extended hold.

Exhaust system: I was planning on doing a 3" Downpipe to a highflow catalytic converter to a 2.5" piping all the way to an Apexi N1 Muffler. I chose this specific setup because I wasnt too much of a fan of the high raspy 3" straight pipe I had on my previous GSX, I'm hoping a combination of the 3-2." in pipeing, and Apexi N1 will acheive the "Rally" sound I'm searching for, while staying close too the performance gains of a full 3" straight pipe system.

FMIC: I wanted to use the Mishimoto FMIC I purchsed but unfortunatly due to the high cost of current repairs, I have decided to stick with the SMIC setup. I'm not getting a Big T28 anytime soon so theres not a reason I can think of for this.

Theres a couple of other things but they arent important now. The important thing now is to focus on all my maintence, address many future and current issues, correct any and there are quite a few past mistakes from the previous owner. Function and realiability > Performance and Flash is now the main focus. (But I'll still have alittle fun with flash)

Stay tuned, the next BIG update is coming soon!

love the wheels. have the same set on my car in 17's. ADR makes some nice ones.

I actually had no clue what the name of these wheels were. Thank you! I wasnt planning on keeping them, I'm smiten for the wheels Gofer has on his DSM

Well they look good on our cars IMO. I was considering a different set along with my current one something exactly the same as what I had on my GS but havent found them.

Hello subcribers and readers! I'm posting to you this evenin from my cellphone because my daughter spilled her tea all over my computer.

Made a huge discovery today. The redsun may have had a slight fuel issue but it would start because of the simplest thing. The timing was off by a tooth. I ask myself how could I have checked the timing after following the how to diagnose a no start guide and reading it over and over again? Simply I did read it correctly but for some reason while reading the how to article I continued to perform the action of checking my timing incorrectly. I know there is a term for it, almost like when you know you locker combination but continuously input it backwards LOL.

Well thanks once again to the best DSMer around DSMkaui. He quickly pointed out where I was essentially f*ckin up. Now I know what needs to be done. A full timing job. And it doesn't stop there. Since I'm gonna have it all apart I'm going to finish the completion of my cooling system upgrade with a new water pump. If I can find the money todo so ill problably consider an oil pump as well but there goes an old saying. If it ain't broke... don't fix it.

I have options that I must alone deeply consider.

1 Take the redsun to the mitsubishi dealer and have an OEM full timing job done and over with. Warranty and peace of mind.

2 Have a more experiance DSMer do the timing job for me. Peace of mind and a chance to watch a veteran of the 4g63 motor up close and personal.

3 Complete a full timing job myself. Learning experiance, possibly a downtime that would double the amount of a more experianced professional would have. Not as much peace of mind but a sense of accomplishment.

All three options are good ones. Its a real eye opener that something so basic and key I myself didn't do correctly. Although it has me questioning my mechanical ability to complete the redsun without harming her anymore than she already is, I have enough faith in myself to push forward through this as quickly, safely and logically possible to get this dsm back on the road and back to the prestigous condition it deserves to be in!

For now my goals still stand, the upgrades of course will wait. The PMs will continue to come first and foremost above anything else. And when it is done. You will know. Tomorrow I get some qoutes and make a descision that will lead to the next update.

I wanted to add something. An apology to all the dsmers out there who strongly suggested timing. It shoulve have dawned on me that I was checking the timing incorrectly sooner and it didn't even after all of the tell tale signs of timing were there. I owe you guys something and the best thing I can do to make up for it is to get the redsun running like its new and continue this restoration rightly.

Do the belts yourself.

Why did you make the post sound like the most dramatic thing in the world?

ROFL

Must be some good green in Hawaii.

Edit: If you follow the vfaq you should not have any problem at all, I just finished one up this weekend.

I dunno lofty. I think I should take my time and really think this through. Especially if I'm gonna do it myself. A combination of the vfaq, how to articles on this and other dsm sites, the videos from graveyard other videos, ill need to study and deeply understand before I feel comfortable doing it. At least this time money isn't the issue :)

Being off by one tooth sucks but its not the worst thing that could happen. Now, not getting the tension right and the belt snapping or being so loose it comes off and looses time, now that would suck.

I recommended you have a DSM veteran over for some beers or soda and if you mess something up, they can let you know you suck and fix it LOL. But really it will be the best of both worlds. You get the feeling of satisfaction and learn something new, plus you know it's done right. Good luck man. ;)

I took the time to go over your build. Looks good. Your goals are rather well planned and I have goals of Gymkhana as well. I know I can do the driving but my car won't take the stresses or have the power in the dry, LOL. So I have been building up my power levels and drivetrain strength as well. Keep up the good work dude.

For some reason i feel bad for all of your cars LOL...
Everytime i read one of your posts it reminds me of that stickerbomb 420a you had...LOL

Instead of spending money in "upgrades" Finish the maintenance..

I have a question why"redsun"

Purchased a Craftsmen Electric Impact Gun (Wrench) I tested it on the lugs to sorta break it in, and man what power! I then moved onto the infamous crankshaft pulley bolt on the D16 engine block I still had and BAM took it off in a matter of seconds. Best purchased tool so far! Now I have damn near everything I need to complete the timing job!

The question of why its called the Redsun will be answered much later. Subscribe or follow and you'll start to find out.

You sir are a warrior and must have a lot of patience! Subscribed and love the DSM License Plate!

Looking forward to seeing future updates/Cars

I will say that I am very jealous of your fuel pump cover....mine is rusted to kingdom come and back.

Love the restore you are doing, please keep us updated!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back