The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

ARP Headstuds??? Should I invest?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amballer82822

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 4, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I just installed T28 Turbo with 750cc injectors planning on running around 19PSI? I heard the stock bolts are perfectly fine at 19 or 20 PSI, Just making sure and if you guys think I need to install them doesn anyone have a link to VFAQ's installing of them cause I cant seem to find it:D thanks!!

If you have a 6bolt and don't need to pull the head, don't.

If that's the stock 7bolt, ARPs are better than stock.

Wow, he did it without the head off too defintly getting them, do you have any reccomendations of where or what ones I should get for like 19PSI?? I'm gonna try and do it just like that 1st link. Thanks though quick response, I want to order these now:)

Just the standard 7-bolt ARP headstuds. I believe the part number is ARP 207-4203. ARP 7 bolt DSM Head Stud Kit : JNZ Tuning, ARP 207-4203 ARP Head Studs They also make an undercut head stud but from what I have read the standard set works best for our application.

I just talked to one of the tech guys today at ARP and he recommended just sticking with the non undercut studs. Reason being is that he said the undercut studs were initially made for the Ford, Chevy, etc... all aluminum block and heads. They are needed for keeping the head gaskets sealed during expansion and contraction. He said the undercut studs will work but they will not be as strong as the regular ones for my application. He also recommended not to torque the studs no more than 75 ft pds. with the supplied moly lube. I told him that I was planning on boosting up to 32 psi. He said if I was just boosting no more than 25psi than the undercut studs would be the way to go. Well anyways, I thought I let you guys know what I found out.

Gil :thumb:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/159666-arp-head-studs-buy.html

*EDIT - The link you posted from STM is good, just make sure you specify the DSM 7-bolt head studs.

Still looking into these. Im gna run about 19-20 psi on my 99 stock 7 bolt. Wondering if it will be a issue or if it can wait till i build up some more cash? If it cant I will tune at a lower boost level.

PSI is irrelevant without mention the turbo. You said "stock 7 bolt"...T25? If so, stock studs will be fine, and you should lower the boost as it's just blowing hot air at that level.

Well i figured since since the original thread was for a T28,I would just use this one instead of making a new one. So yes its a Big T28.

In that case, the question is already answered in this thread...

Would the stock one even hang in there for lil while? What would would be the max boost you would run on stock bolts.

i would highly recommend changing over to arp head studs.
my first dsm was a 93 tsi 7 bolt with a stock 14b, and i stretched the stock head studs while driving on the highway, lifted the head slightly apart from the block, and blew all the oil and coolant out into the engine bay before the motor seized up.
chances are it was because i was running 18-19 psi on the stock sidemount and injectors (was my first dsm 10 years ago when i was 17 before i had any experience), but my point is it can happen, and its better to be safe then sorry when talking abut a low cost upgrade like arp studs.

I contacted Road Race engineering and they told me something completely opposite of whats being said on here.

Not Needed. Just getting some feedback on here. General Consensus Kinda thing.

I contacted Road Race engineering and they told me something completely opposite of whats being said on here.

Not Needed. Just getting some feedback on here. General Consensus Kinda thing.

I am also curious to hear what an experience DSM vendor and support has to say about ARP headstuds, especially if it contradicts what we have been saying. I would argue it is "needed", thats how you learn, sharing ideas and debating.

I think he means that RRE said that the studs aren't needed for those power levels. For $50 for a set of used studs, I would buy them rather than risking replacing a HG or worse.

Well so far I have talked to them and a local guy who does most of the Dsm's in dallas. They both say to leave them alone. Im curious as to whether its more of a tuning issue.

I think he means that RRE said that the studs aren't needed for those power levels. For $50 for a set of used studs, I would buy them rather than risking replacing a HG or worse.
I feel the sameway. Yet, if not needed then no reason you knw.

i would highly recommend changing over to arp head studs.
my first dsm was a 93 tsi 7 bolt with a stock 14b, and i stretched the stock head studs while driving on the highway, lifted the head slightly apart from the block, and blew all the oil and coolant out into the engine bay before the motor seized up.
chances are it was because i was running 18-19 psi on the stock sidemount and injectors (was my first dsm 10 years ago when i was 17 before i had any experience), but my point is it can happen, and its better to be safe then sorry when talking abut a low cost upgrade like arp studs.
Sounds like your issues stemmed from a poor tune. Definitely not the head bolts fault.

re-rx7 - You don't nessacerily need ARP head studs. I ran stock 7-bolt head bolts up to 400 WHP and pushing 47 lbs/min, and I never pushed a drop of coolant. BUT, I would consider them if you think you may be flowing more airflow in the near future. By design, studs are better than bolts; just something else to consider.

Sounds like your issues stemmed from a poor tune. Definitely not the head bolts fault.

re-rx7 - You don't nessacerily need ARP head studs. I ran stock 7-bolt head bolts up to 400 WHP and pushing 47 lbs/min, and I never pushed a drop of coolant. BUT, I would consider them if you think you may be flowing more airflow in the near future. By design, studs are better than bolts; just something else to consider.
Honestly, this car will never see a bigger turbo than a T28. Good post I never really thought of it that way. I figure with a good tune on 19 psi(560cc Evo,190lph) i can get about 280 Whp since i have access to 93 in Texas.

I certainly don't "need" them on a T25, but since I had the head off ANYWAYS, why not?

I would say get them. It's cheap insurance, and will allow for growth down the road if you change your mind on upgrading from the T28 in the future. I would also say they are not absolutely necessary for your power levels.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back