The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

95 TSi Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickedz

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 12, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Just having issues running, so i drove her down to the garage and tore it apart. I know stupid right? Just glad I did with so much fail with everything

Ok heres more information:
I moved from Orlando Florida to Michigan. My car had been running fantastic and never really left me on the side of the road. Well moving to MI has destroyed my car. My tune just was not working well with the change. Well I made a good friend here who I met off dsmtuners to be honest. he did the best he could with a tune, but eveytime we tryed to richen it up, the car would pull more and more fuel. The minute you took even 1% fuel away from its running condition, the car would cut ALL fuel out completely. Well i drove the car with it running lean because this is my only transportation. Well on cold start ups i would have to sit there with my foot on the gas for about 2 minutes then it would idle. Well everyday the car would become worse and worse on running conditions.

I'm running a COP setup that is home made. Well my oil cap looked to be leaking a little bit of oil, so it was running down into my valve cover Well the oil was running across the COP under side and getting into all the wiring. I thought this was causing the car to misfire, but yet i wasn't pulling any codes or CEL. I was having issues with the wideband UEGO, reading maxed out AFRs and my car was running like crap to where I had no throttle or anything. I would have to run the car like this until the AFR's started to richen up. Once the car began to richen up, it would throw you in the seat and clear up and run fantastic.

Well with the bogging issue, the massive tuning issues, and everything else, I was getting frustrated. I was throwing $40 in gas in this thing every 3 days it seems and went no where. Well I desided to throw on another tune I had previously from florida where I was running well. Well that didn't seem to work too well. My car started smoking worse, you could see the RICH smoke marks in the snow, and smoking under my hood. Well the fricken head was pouring oil out of the head to where i had a broken exhaust manifold stud.

I drove the car down to the barn to check further, thats when we made no progress on the issue, and said to tare it down. Well the head bolts were all tight, except the one in the corner of the head, where the oil was pouring out. This could have been ALL my issues, but we still said pull it apart. Needless to say, everything in this motor was RTV and no gaskets, and just fail on every end. Im not even joking when I said fail.

The car I bought and had a trans shop install my transmission and install a new clutch kit. Well they only installed the trans with the front 2 bolts, which left the trans literally barely on. With the trans installed like this, it cause my starter plate to brake in half, you see the broken EAR on the trans from stress, the clutch was slipping bad and its new, and even the ear on my new slave was broken.

206.jpg

200.jpg

tranny002.jpg

217.jpg

291.jpg

293.jpg

309.jpg

3012.jpg

tranny004.jpg

pistons002.jpg

tranny008.jpg

motor001.jpg

motorin001.jpg

motorin002.jpg

motorin003.jpg

Head 6 bolt

*New Viton valve Seals
*Stock intake valves with 4 angle cut.
*Evo sodium filled exhaust valves with 4 angle cut.
*NGK brp6es Spark Plugs
*cleaned up springs
*cleaned up Cams
*Black Top CAS
*Cleaned up 1g intake

Block 7 bolt
*Permatorque Headgasket
*New RIngs
*New 2g Pistons
*Cleaned up Rods
*Balance Shaft delete
*Polished Crank .005 endplay
*New ACL Aluaglide bearings
*All new OEM seals on oil pump

Audio
*(2) 12 inch Memphis 1000w Subs
*(1) 1000w Memphis amp
*Sony headunit
*Stock front speakers
*Pioneer 6x9's

Other Stuff
*Battary Trunk Relocate
*Fuse box relocate
*Engine Bay painted
*ABS Deleted
*AC Deleted
*Power Steering deleted
*Emissions Deleted
*Coil On Plug (Chrysler 300 Coils)
*Evo 560cc Injectors
*V3 Full ECMlink
*Greddy Style FMIC
*HKS SSQV Bov
*Injen intake with cone filter
*Triple gauge Pod
*Boost/oil pressure/AEM UEGO gauges
*14b turbo upgrade from stock 2g
*Oil SS line
*4 Bar Omni Map
*ECMlink Speed Density
*Rear motor mount Red Poly mount
*Ebay Manual Boost Controller

Exterior
*Blitz body kit molded
*Custom Red paint with metallic flake
*Talon 2gb Front
*Falken 17x7.5 Rims
*215 45 17 tires Z rated
*Smoked out Talon lights
*2.5 inch full exhaust 4 in tip

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, less wires is a nice look, my battery is in the location that you put the fuse box. But I didn't want to move the battery to the back. Good job man looks nice.
I noticed you didn't take off parts from the firewall, the fenders or windshield cowl to paint the engine bay. Just trying to paint it quick?

Thanks man, it will be cleaner when I get trans in, then We can actually start the cleanup process

Yea, less wires is a nice look, my battery is in the location that you put the fuse box. But I didn't want to move the battery to the back. Good job man looks nice.
I noticed you didn't take off parts from the firewall, the fenders or windshield cowl to paint the engine bay. Just trying to paint it quick?

Everything was removed from firewall to paint, and wiper crowl was taped off.

the most undescriptive and short build thread ever! your leaving alot out Paul! :p

I know man I hear ya, I was in a hurry. Updating to the top now

All the bearings were getting ready to fail pretty much.
2 of the rod bearings tangs where starting to go flat, thrust bearing was out of spec and nearing CW probably.
2 cam journals were only riding on half the bearing surface (no clue what was going on there).
It was pushing crap tons of oil on #4 cyl (enough to make a mess all over everything arround the exhaust leak he had).
1 head bolt was near backed out.
Turbo journal bearing was coaked up and frozen on the turbines shaft.
Manny seals were bad, and someone told him to cut the rear seals sealing spring because it was near wrapped arround the crank.
The flywheel was so badly slipping it was a perfect mirror reflection.
One trans Dowel pin was missing. One trans mounting ear is busted off.
Oil pickup tube was near plugged from a dented in oil pan.

That's the most of it really. Iv been helping as much as I can and throwing spare parts, time, tools and new seals in to get this finished because of a tight budget. She's fitted with my old ARP's now, new aluaglide acl bearings, new oem seals, my custom home made felpro gaskets, permatorque Headgasket, my old but basically brand new 6-bolt head I bought from mitsubishi, my home made BSE kit (modded oil pump support shaft nub), new 2g turbo pistons and rings, polished crank, soon the be CAS converted, abs delete, mild wire tuck, and batt relocation.

This project will be finished the next time I go to his garage and finish some wiring, and trans install, and finish up a few loose ends. It would of been finished already if it were warm out LOL. To cold when it reaches -1*F outside and the fuel oil runs out in the heater.

Just a UPDATE

Not much more has been done really. I got pretty much everything installed under the hood and all my piping and front mount. I'm still waiting for my friend to show up, because we need to do a few things before installing the tranny. Such a clean car, then I install my UPIC and its ugly long route. I can't wait for a job, so I can redo all my piping and FMIC

Update.

Well I must say im so ####ing frustrated right now. Now my FMIC piping isnt fitting, and I have a few oher issues with doing the 7 bolt head swap to a 6 bolt head. Now I must walk away and take a deep breath

Ah #### it, here is how she sits for the night. Im done for the day
problem001.jpg

problem002.jpg

problem004.jpg

problem003.jpg

problem005.jpg

Got the Fuel hooked up, the throttle is hooked up, some plugs are done now, got the rest of my piping installed, few other odds and ends are done for now.

025-4.jpg

027-3.jpg

026-5.jpg

And got some nice injector clips that wont break.
022-6.jpg

Update,

Well today, she got her bumper on her. Also Im trying to figure out the wiring on the COP, so that will be done. Slowly getting there

Thanks buddy, yeah I started all this just after christmas. So yeah between my friends and I, we have completely done to this in a months time, what others accomplish in a years time or more of project down time.

car is running fantastic. will try to get video after few new parts arrive

great re-build!!! im about to start mine in april. got a 95 tsi awd! love it! i was going to give my opinion why it was running so bad, thought it may have been the power transistor or coil pack. any way awesome build! any advise you can give??

Doing alot of major upgrade changes :). Here is some today just clean up detial work

new3.jpg

new2.jpg

From THIS
3-3.jpg

To THIS
new.jpg

It says built 4g63 :). I got it from a friend of our car group in Orlando

Here is some more update on the talon

Sitting in her spot, getting all done up with new upgades
car.jpg

New Manifold came in today
mani.jpg

mani2.jpg

Will install it this weekend. I'm expecting my 4 layer copper gasket Saturday, and my new studs and nuts came today also.

That is all for now. Waiting for more parts to arrive like always :)

nice2.jpg

nice.jpg

i was waiting for you to put up a pic of some shiny new IM. build looks great, sub'd.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back