The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1990 TSi, Roll-over ready.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oh and here's my "front motor mount".

I'll assume the PO did this;
CJNpa.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What the hell?

Oh your the rally car guy. looking at the 3rd pic down from the top of the thread, that looks like thats why he did it cause it must have broke something being the front subframe and core support looks really tweaked in that photo.

What the hell?
I know right? Lmao. ROFL

Oh your the rally car guy. looking at the 3rd pic down from the top of the thread, that looks like thats why he did it cause it must have broke something being the front subframe and core support looks really tweaked in that photo.

Seems about right.

Oh well. It'll do until it fails completely.

Looks like quite a fun project! Ever thought about going Water to air intercooled? Don't know what you're rules are you need to follow, but the W/A will allow you to keep a free radiator and not have to worry about ruining a FMIC, quicker spool and more efficient cooling as well.

Like Kreez said, if you ever want any help let me know. I'm not too far away and this is the kind of racing I'd love to get into!

Looks like quite a fun project! Ever thought about going Water to air intercooled? Don't know what you're rules are you need to follow, but the W/A will allow you to keep a free radiator and not have to worry about ruining a FMIC, quicker spool and more efficient cooling as well.

Like Kreez said, if you ever want any help let me know. I'm not too far away and this is the kind of racing I'd love to get into!

Well, as most privateer rally cars I'm trying to stay with a "Keep It Simple, Stupid" approach, so for now a chargecooler is not in the plans.

I hope to have anti-lag programmed EVENTUALLY, so spool-time will cease to be an issue at that point... Of-course I'll need to shed heat better at that point.

If you're interested in the scene, and want to get involved I'd implore you to visit the ColoradoRallyRacing.com forum. It's still pretty new, but there are some knowledgeable guys on there. (Working on setting up a NASA Rally Sprint in Steamboat, CO)
They also have information on the Colorado hill-climbs, some not too far from you.

On that note though, I will be heading to New Jersey permanently around the beginning of March, along with the car.

awesome thread, love the car man, what kind of coilovers are those? i recently got a 95 tsi and am really really looking forward into rallying it, first thing i want to do is suspension. could we get some pics of the rear skid plating also?

awesome thread, love the car man, what kind of coilovers are those? i recently got a 95 tsi and am really really looking forward into rallying it, first thing i want to do is suspension. could we get some pics of the rear skid plating also?

Hey Concow,

The suspension is HotBits DT2 with Gravel valving and softish springs with helpers, 2-way adj and exterior expansion canisters.
I'm currently not entirely sure of the stiffness on the springs(lb wise), but I'll look into it.

Suspension should definitely be the first thing you do on a rally car (after safety items, ofcourse!), since you can run upgraded suspension in production class. Although I think the reason you see more 1g's on the dirt is because they have more travel available in the front.

I'll post up some pictures of the mid/rear-ish skidplating (which is actually just a few urethane sheets from the doors back)
The fuel-tank has a steel tank fitted around it, which will work well for when I decide to get a fuel cell as well.

Edit: Meant to say that I'll post pictures when the car arrives in New Jersey... Being shipped across the country atm.

What about this? Better spool, and never have to worry about the fins clogging.

IMG_2485.jpg

Yeah the owner is Mike, AKA JAXWHITE1G. He is a master when it comes to metal/mechanics. He fabricated the whole thing himself, IMO that's how they should have been from the factory.

I've only ridden in that car once, but I was impressed by how well everything was done. He was running a 20g at the time and it spooled like a mofo. I think he added a draw fan under it, but I can't recall. I know he's running it with the GM-MAF on the intake like my car, but I don't know if he recirc'd it. I could be wrong, but I think he just picked up a small core off of eBay and make it work.

Unique, functional, effective, and best of all better performing.

Yeah the owner is Mike, AKA JAXWHITE1G. He is a master when it comes to metal/mechanics. He fabricated the whole thing himself, IMO that's how they should have been from the factory.

I've only ridden in that car once, but I was impressed by how well everything was done. He was running a 20g at the time and it spooled like a mofo. I think he added a draw fan under it, but I can't recall. I know he's running it with the GM-MAF on the intake like my car, but I don't know if he recirc'd it. I could be wrong, but I think he just picked up a small core off of eBay and make it work.

So he's running his GM MAF pre-turbo?

I'm not terribly worried about spool-time, as the car won't be still much and shouldn't be low on revs often... When the eventual anti-lag is programmed all I'll have to worry about it cooling and "ease of fixability" ;)

Alright, car is in NJ.

If you're in the Central NJ area come by and I'll get some beers and a pizza and we can talk cars!

Should have a welder soon!

So he's running his GM MAF pre-turbo?

I'm not terribly worried about spool-time, as the car won't be still much and shouldn't be low on revs often... When the eventual anti-lag is programmed all I'll have to worry about it cooling and "ease of fixability" ;)

Yeah, pre-turbo. It'd be awesome to see another top mount setup.

Very nice would sure like to get more info and photos.

I have been wondering what happened to this car for some years now. I took these pictures at the Main Forest Rally in 2002. This car has got a lot of stage miles on it. How come I didn't see you at Rally New York this past weekend?

This was my first rally that I ever attended and also my first pictures. I've shot 20-30 rallies since then.
3205711021_679e42d343_z.jpg

img015 by Drew84(PASCARPHOTO), on Flickr

3206553068_95b9b72fa1_z.jpg

img026 by Drew84(PASCARPHOTO), on Flickr

I have been wondering what happened to this car for some years now. I took these pictures at the Main Forest Rally in 2002. This car has got a lot of stage miles on it.

I was codriving that rally. Bruce Perry owned the car and I had some close championship competition against him and his usual codriver Phil Barnes. They would run on both sides of US/Canada border.

How come I didn't see you at Rally New York this past weekend?

Rally NY would be last on my list to go to. Did a couple times too many.

We'll I meant the OP, but Rally New York was all new this year. You know who I am right ?

What was the story with your side of the car in those pictures ?

Nope, Andrew Pascarella, Drew84 on other forums. DirtyImpreza etc.

I do not have pictures of that car :( The only black Suby is #925

Whoops! Went absent for a bit as my wifes mother had a stroke, so now her parents are living with us.

Sure makes for early (3-4am) mornings!

I should be able to start working on the Talon again shortly!

I've got a few updates, and I'll try to get pictures in the morning.

1. Exhaust leaks... at least 3 of them. I could tell by ear that I had one, but until I had the mid-skidplate and fiberglass wrap off I didn't know of the extent.

The terrible engine mount condition likely caused all of them, the down-pipe directly off the turbo had a bit of a kink to it, which had apparently caused a hairline crack to run about 1" lengthwise, while a 1mm hole in the center of it.

The wire interior of the flexpipe had broken loose, and the pipe barrier was torn about 1/2 way around, while the outside wire was relatively intact.

The downpipe to "catback" connection had a large leak, large enough to severely soot and burn off the underbody coating, I knew of this leak from the molten hot steel 2" from my foot after racing for a while, and was the only exhaust leak I was truly aware of.

So now I need to get myself a new downpipe, I guess my only option is to go by an exhaust shop with the old torn up piece and hope they can match it, since I've yet to acquire a permanent trailer.

2. Was scouring Lowes for bits to build a boost leak tester and my total was coming to around ~$30 in parts for something shitful looking, so I ordered one from TURBO BOOST LEAK TESTERS - Kits For All Turbo Charged Vehicles, for ~$40 shipped. Would rather support the automotive community than Lowes!

3. Had a slow leak on my LF, so put my last remaining spare on... The rest of my wheels and tires are still in Colorado, along with my extra heads/turbos/subframes/diffs etc.... I hope to have 2 full sets of Medium 195-65-15 DMack gravel tires before my first race, but a single set and my used for spares would help keep costs down.

4. I still need a reasonable tuning option, but with the recent addition to the family, the budget has been tightened. I figure I'll try and pick up some bigger injectors, 560 or 650, a Walbro fuelpump, and try and tune as best as I can with the MAF-T.

5. Rear subframe woes, I suppose I'll try and get a picture of this, but I think I need some new parts, ha.

Will try and have pictures up asap... I really need to make friends with a mechanic, I want to drive. As much as I wish I knew how to weld, rebuild engines, etc I just don't have the experience yet. D'oh.

I have been wondering what happened to this car for some years now. I took these pictures at the Main Forest Rally in 2002. This car has got a lot of stage miles on it. How come I didn't see you at Rally New York this past weekend?

This was my first rally that I ever attended and also my first pictures. I've shot 20-30 rallies since then.

Very awesome, and thank you for the pictures.

I've e-mailed some of the previous owners, got a few fun stories out of it.

Here is my FMIC w/ skidplate.

You wouldn't happen to have pictures of how the skidplate is mounted, would you?

Last edited:
You wouldn't happen to have pictures of how the skidplate is mounted, would you?

Here it is.

8035564015_large.jpg

Closer up.

8035564014_large.jpg

Bolts go thru upper/front holes and spacer w/ rubber into nuts welded into lower radiator support.

Bolts for bottom/back go thru spacer and replace a bolt that normally holds something (control arm) in the front suspension.

Its a good idea to stick your bolts thru your skidplate and configure any spacer and rubber insulator and then weld a large washer to the bolt to hold everything together as one part. Less stuff to misplace and quicker to reassemble during rushed service.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back