The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2003 EVO turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twizdt

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 19, 2008
Madison, Ohio
I did some searching and I just want to verify. Is a 16g from a 2003 evo considered an evo 3 16g? Also is that the better 16g? I just got one with manifold and wastegate and o2 bung. Is all I need now a 2g install kit to make this work? Also the Turbo looks backwards like the intake is on drivers side. Do i just flip the Turbo around as I heard the evo 3 manifold will work on a 2g. Thanks for any replies

I also bought a Wally 190 I have a maft installed and safc2 will 550cc injectors and the Wally 190 with safc2 be sufficient for this?

An evo 3 turbo came off an evo3..Not a 16g out of an evo 8..

That's an evo 8 16g..Can work with a lot of modification..But you could probably pick up an evo3 for less than you would have into making the evo8 turbo work..

An actual evo 3 will work on a 2g dsm..But evo 8 will not*- note the astirisk

A evo III 16g is not from a 03 evo VIII. The turbos are completely different. And you pointed out one of the big flaws of the turbo being backwards and facing the wrong way. The evo 8 turbos wont work without some fabbing and changing of a lot of things. A evo III 16g is off of a actual evo 3, not the year. Not sure on the years but i believe mid to late 90's to early 2000 evo's. Youd have to wiki that exactly. And yes the actual evo III 16g is the better of the 16g's you can get for a dsm. They flow the most air. If you do a little google search on 16g, there will be tons of info on them. If you have a real evo III 16g, then all you really need is a different oil feedline, modified oil return line and bend your water pipes and a j pipe and itd save you the 200 from a install kit. Or spend the money and buy one. But from what it sounds like is you have a evo 8 turbo which will not work without time and some money invested. In fact i dont think it will even work and wouldnt even be worth a shot to try. Just sell it and buy a real 16g. Theyre fairly cheap now.

As for injectors and fuel pump, that should be what you would want on a safc. I think they can only tune to those injector size. So youre fine there. And the wally 190 is a good fuel pump to run for your setup. Unless you have further plans, then a 255 would be better. Or even a evo 9 fuel pump. But you would then need a afpr if you went with those. But not for a wally 190. Hope some of this helps. And good luck!

Edit: dang everyone beat me. Haha. Oh well some more info i guess. Ha.

I just got it for 100 bucks which is why I asked.

Couldn't I just pop the Turbo off flip it around and drill 2 new holes and tap them so I wouldn't have to buy the flange on eBay that flips the Turbo around? Or would that make it spin backwards

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got it for 100 bucks which is why I asked.
That's generally what they go for because they fit nothing outside of the Evo VIII / IX platform.
Couldn't I just pop the Turbo off flip it around and drill 2 new holes and tap them so I wouldn't have to buy the flange on eBay that flips the Turbo around? Or would that make it spin backwards
Do what now?

You shouldn't mate a twin-scroll housing to a single-scroll manifold regardless.

You can't mount this turbo in the direction it was installed on an Evo or the o2 outlet will face the motor mount and the compressor inlet will be on the wrong side.

You can't flip the turbo because the shape of the turbine housing will force you to run without a rad.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It would be great if one of these aftermarket companies would make us a twin scroll mani for the evo 8 16g. Twin scroll 16g sounds sexy haha. Plus $100 turbo's would be nice.

Shep should honestly, he'd have alot more transmissions to fix if he did :D Sounds like a win win for him.

It would be great if one of these aftermarket companies would make us a twin scroll mani for the evo 8 16g. Twin scroll 16g sounds sexy haha. Plus $100 turbo's would be nice.
Study what I wrote above along with the photos and you'll see why that would be nearly impossible while keeping the install user-friendly.

Now the Evo X turbo, on the other hand.... :D

I sold it for 200 I'll just work on getting a big 16g

Any reason why you couldn't just pop an evox chra, and compressor housing into a 7cm dsm housing?

You totally can since they are both td05 turbos. I don't think you will benefit from the compressor housing though, its oddly shaped for out cars.

There is not benefit though, the evo x turbo is very similar to the 16g, the gain comes from the twinscroll hotside used with the 20g wheel. Spool of at 16g with the flow of a 20g.

Also its been done before:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/403841-evo-x-152g6-compressor-wheel-14b-cover.html

Any reason why you couldn't just pop an evox chra, and compressor housing into a 7cm dsm housing?
The Evo X CHRA is slightly different than a DSM 16G where it fits into the turbine housing, and the Evo X oil drain flange is at a strange angle as well. I don't believe the CHRA's themselves will interchange, but you can use all the parts from an Evo X 152G6 in a DSM TD05H Big 16G cartridge if you get a 14B or Small 16G cover machined.

The 152G6 compressor has a smaller inducer than a Big 16G but the same size exducer. The blades are also thinner and the hub area of the wheel is smaller like an Evo III 16G wheel. It should basically fall right in between the Small 16G and Evo III 16G as far as airflow potential and efficiency.

The fins on the compressor and turbine wheels face the opposite way so the turbo spins backwards from what a normal tdo5 turbo would. Even if you could get the evo 8 cartridge to bolt to the tdo5 turbine housing it wouldn't work right.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back