The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Replacing Front Speakers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

need2speed75

Probationary Member
Oct 28, 2011
papillion, Nebraska
Passenger side front speaker is blown and would like to replace it. I don't have the infinity sys so I believe the size is 5 1/4. Which aftermarket speaker do you all recommend to replace that doesn't require much modification and is a direct fit? Also would I need to get specialized speaker bracket for it? Not looking for anything special, just ones that works.

I was thinking of replacing the front speakers in my GST, the drivers side doesn't work, but the pasenger side is good. It's the infinity system idk if the size is different. They are 6-3/4 I think. Let me know if you want it.

You can easily fit 6 1/2 speakers in the front. I have put 6 1/2's front speakers in all my dsm's. No trimming required just have to drill new mounting holes. Since it is plastic you could just use a drill and screw the screws in were you need them.

Actually you probably don't want mine. I got some new ones today and got a good look at the old ones for the first time. They are really screwed up. Which is funny, because the right side sounded fine. No distortion or anything.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Actually you probably don't want mine. I got some new ones today and got a good look at the old ones for the first time. They are really screwed up. Which is funny, because the right side sounded fine. No distortion or anything.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Those things are pretty toasted. I'm surprised you couldn't hear a difference...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I couldn't really tell that there was no bass because of my bazookas. They do a pretty good job. Now, with the new speakers in, they sound so deep and sexy! I wish I'd replaced the speakers when I got the car. I guess you can't do everything at once!

I used some cheap Blaupunkt 6.5" and they sound ok but the bolt pattern wasn't big enough and I had to make a reducer ring for them to fit the door hole. I would get dimensions of whatever your thinking of buying and compare it to the stock hole.

^ ^ ^ Pioneer is definately good sounding, went with those in my Stealth front and rears

I used some random tiny speakers i had laying around, a little bit to small to fit in the plastic cradle correctly, i used some cardboard and zipties to make it work until i could get some nice speakers. If your in a pinch that is what i recommend.

For easily connecting speakers i just solder some wires to the speaker I'm putting in's terminal, then on the other end crimp some male quick disconnects. That way i can maintain the stock harness and easily switch speakers around.

Yeah, I couldn't really tell that there was no bass because of my bazookas. They do a pretty good job. Now, with the new speakers in, they sound so deep and sexy! I wish I'd replaced the speakers when I got the car. I guess you can't do everything at once!

Meh I prefer larger full range speakers to subs or boom tubes. I really would like to figure out a way to run some 10s in the back preferably in the stock location or once I delete my rear seat I will figure something out, and 8s in the doors. I know the 8s in the doors is doable. Then I will probably replace the factory amp with something that can actually give all 4 juice.

Meh I prefer larger full range speakers to subs or boom tubes. I really would like to figure out a way to run some 10s in the back preferably in the stock location or once I delete my rear seat I will figure something out, and 8s in the doors. I know the 8s in the doors is doable. Then I will probably replace the factory amp with something that can actually give all 4 juice.

There is no such thing as a full range speaker. Going larger will increase the amount of midbass you can achieve, but going larger also decreases accuracy in the higher frequencies. You will never get door speakers to produce the bass a subwoofer produces, even if you go with 8s in the doors. Believe me...been there. The rear enclosure room for the OEM 6x9s isn't even close to what you would need for a 10"...even if it was of the shallow-mount variety.

Achieving useful midbass in the doors of our cars is perfectly do-able. It can be done easily with 6.5" drivers in modified stock enclosures. Search: aperiodic enclosures.

The point isn't to get "awesome bass from the doors"...it's to make the doors hit low enough to make you believe the corresponding bass from the sub(s) is coming from the front. The mids provide the "attack" of the bass hit (the frequency range that is locatable by our ears) and the sub fills-in the lower frequencies that are not locatable. Rear speakers do you a huge disservice in this arena. The locatable/non-locatable point is right around 100Hz. If you can get your doors to play lower than that, it makes it easier to perform the illusion. I have 6.5s in my doors right now (Diamond Hex) that I crossover at 50Hz (but with a really steep 24dB/octave slope) and they sound amazing. Like most things: it's all in the tuning.

Even though I have great midbass in the doors, I still have dedicated drivers for midrange (in kickpanel pods) and dedicated drivers for high frequencies...even ones for super-high frequencies (above 20kHz). No ONE speaker does it all. That's like saying there is ONE turbo to cover the range from 210hp to 1200hp. Use each component in your system for it's inherent advantages. Trying to make things perform outside their intended design parameters is how you blow things up.

Crutchfiled as an excellent place to buy from, deals everyday and they're Newbies friendly too. :D Comes with a master sheet instruction and harness lit for free. Which would save anyone a few bucks.

Pioneer Head with Inifnity speakers is a great combo, budget friendly.

My first car 89 cutlass ciera has this setup my brother who is a system freak. Thought I had 10's in the rear when I told its 6x9s he :ohdamn: and I laughed at him.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back