The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

holset hx35 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpmxrider489

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 4, 2010
pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I've been searching turbos and what not but I see in the dyno challenge the hx40 put down over 600. From what I was told the hx35 wont. My goal is 600. I know that's a big jump. But from what I read, the hx35 will put down 600 with a twin scroll. I know extreme psi sells the BEP hot side for the hx40 for mhi flange and t3. Can the mhi put down 600. I have a fp manifold and want to keep it. I know i can get the adapter they make. Any reccomendations would be great. I have all the supporting mods. I'm building my motor over the winter im just trying to figure this turbo stuff out. Heres what I read. Can the hx35 put 600?

HX35:

The 8blade hx35 has a 56mm compressor inducer. This is found on 1995-1998 cummins manual pickups. The compressor flows 52 lb/min according to the compressor map. The bolton BEP housing (0.55 a/r) is enough to push the limit of the compressor. There's several 500whp 8blade hx35 cars out there with the bolt on housing. It reaches 20+psi by 3500rpms in 3rd with 272 cams. Smaller cams would equal a faster spool speed in most cases.

The 7blade hx35 has a 56mm compressor inducer. This is found on the 1999-2002 cummins manual pickups. The compressor flows 60lb/min according to the compressor map and logged results from a member here. The bolton BEP housing with the hx35 turbine wheel do not SEAM to have enough flow to really reach the potential of 60lb/min. But many have logged over 50lb/min so far and seen 500whp. The stock hx35 12cm^2 twinscroll turbine housing is a t3 flange housing. This mated to a NON-divided runner manifold has produced a 132mph trap speed with a full weight 1g AWD. This is about 600whp. So the flow is there with the stock housing if you use a non-divided manifold. The spool speed of the 7blade hx35 is similar to the 8blade hx35 with 20+ psi by 3500rpms in the bolton housing and by 4000rpms with the stock housing with a non-divided manifold.

With a twin scroll hx35 you will love the spool characteristic. Just look at Mrpeepers, he run 10 sec on 1/4 mile. And not to mention his turbo spools by 3,500rpm.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drag-strip/417110-10-5-129-hx35-auto.html

Edit:

And its all in the supporting mods too. better intake manifold, cams, little port work (like clearing up the runners), better fuels and good tuning will get you there. 600hp to the crank or to the wheels depended upon how wild you wanna go.

An hx35 in the stock turbine housing has trapped 132mph in a full weight 1g, which puts it about 600. Check the Holset complete installed systems thread. I believe Nick Fox (AWD swapped spyder) also did 603whp with an hx35, but he changes sets up so fast I can't verify that is was an hx35 and not the hx40.

600hp is obtainable yes, but definitely not easily or reliably with the "bolt on" housing. The cars I spoke of used the stock Holset 12cm housing. Sorry for the confusion.

So would you recommend to sell this and buy the hx40?

If you are dead set on keeping the FP manifold and o2 housing, that would be about the only reasonable choice. I'm not saying it's going to be easy to make 600 with the hx40 and the bolt on housing, but it will definitely be easier then doing it with the hx35! And the turbo will live a happier life (hx40 vs the hx35).

The first one should get you 600whp, and the second one would probably be a struggle to get 600. But I must say, you got a long long long way to go before you need to be buying a hx40. Why not start with somthing like a bolt on hx35 to get your feet wet.

Why don't you have the dyno operator change the compensation factor until you get 600hp on the turbo you have? Have them display it in crank hp instead of wheel hp, and then pretend you're at a very high altitude. You'll save a lot of money, and have a pretty graph.

The HX40 is going to make 600hp much more easily than the HX35. I believe the HX35 makes 600hp the same way a 16g makes 450-500hp, only with a TON of tuning.

I spent some time tuning a twin scroll HX35. I wouldn't reccomend using anything but a twin scroll housing with a big turbo. Really wouldn't use a MHI housing if you were after 600hp. I'm sure it can do it, but the twin scroll is just fantastic.

Check out the info on the HX5_ series. People seem to like those, and they will easily make 600.

You won't make 600whp on a hx35 no matter what housing its in. Its a 54/56mm turbo, 600whp is asking a bit much.

Hopefully people with an hx35 see this post and use it as motivation to crack 600whp. (I'm not being an asshat towards you, I'm just point out that if a ~50mm turbo (EVO III 16g that Curt Brown used) made 499whp, there is hope that a 56mm 7 blade hx35 *could* do 600whp, I use the term could very loosely because sighting Curt Brown as an example is playing with fire!

hx40's with the bolt on housing have PROVEN to make OVER 600WHP on more then 1 occasion, so an hx40 with the Mitsu/BEP bolt on housing is 100% doable, not easy, but doable!

they are assuming it needs rebuilt because they get them in bulk and dont know the condition. i got an hx40 pro from them 7 blade billet wheel 10 blade turbine wheel for 200 and its in absolutely mint condition. no shaft play and not a drop of oil anywhere spins freely and is now bolted to my car!!!

OP, in your first post, where did you get the info about someone running a divided housing with a non divided manifold? The reason I ask is because I've got a T3 manifold and I've been looking for an HX35 but I can only find the divided housings locally.

Knife edge the divided housing and will work great!! Honestly if your going with an hx40 get a 60mm. Be patient you will find what you want at a cheap price. You can use a variety of t3 flanged hotsides I believe there is a factory hx35 open t3.

You should factor in spool time and get a divided manifold.
With 1 runner longer then the first because it creates a negative
Pressure area and exhaust gases passing through a divided manifold
Through a hx35 twin scroll has been clocked at over 132 mph
That pr is a good manifold but it's still a basic log style manifold
And as we all know once you start putting down some serious
Numbers log style starts being a restriction you need to get a mini ram or a full ram horn and I know
From reading some of your posts that you want a clean engine bay consider
A top mount it will give your bay a sweet ass look. You only paid
200 For your pr manifold if your Wanting to put down some big
Numbers you goto pay to play you can get a good forged stainless steel
Manifold for 400. How much did you pay for intakemanifold 700 I think
Put out the cash And get a good exhaust manifold.

With several people making over 500whp on a 52-58lb/min turbo, I think a cheap log manifold isn't that much of a restriction. There's plenty of other places the extra money a "ram horn" manifold cost could be spent.

In other words, a manifold upgrade over a basic t3 header has a very poor bang for the buck ratio.

I spent some time tuning a twin scroll HX35. I wouldn't reccomend using anything but a twin scroll housing with a big turbo.

What sort of spool characteristics did you see with that when you were tuning it. I never ever saw even close to what people claim.

I saw 30psi at like 4500, much better than the open setup at (5200), but I lost power going from an open t3 to a t/s.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back