The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Emissions Delete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
About to do the emissions delete processes tomorrow, even though we do have the emissions testing in the current city i live in. I will be moving before my next inspection is due though to a safety only county, so im not worried about it. I am curious though after thinking about it, wouldnt deleting the emissions components, especially the EGR valve, affect gas mileage? By making the motor run rich? Or am i thinking about this wrong?

All a EGR valve does is warm the air using hot exhaust gas to make more of it burn. It is not a after burn system at all. You are not going to run rich as the AF mixture is the same as before. The loss of gas mileage is due to less of the fuel being used. How this system can create better mileage while making you lose horsepower is beyond me. I guess because it is not a noticeable difference. Not sure, anyway you should stay around the same MPG nothing drastic and MAYBE pick up a fraction of a horse.

The EGR doesn't work by warming the incoming air. That's not the point. And warming the air doesn't make more of it. There would still be the same number of molecules of air.

It's designed to recirculate the exhaust gas, thereby decreasing the effective displacement of your engine. The engine injects enough fuel for the fresh air coming in (since that's all the MAF will measure) while the already burnt exhaust will more or less just be inert in the air charge. It is only active during low load conditions, like while cruising. There really isn't much of a reason to remove it. Most end up removing it because they go with an upgraded intake manifold, and they don't have the EGR.

I bet you can't tell when your EGR is working and when it isn't. So the horsepower argument is pointless.

If you car is pretty much stock, just leave it. The EGR hoses and solenoids don't take up much space. And you can move the solenoid down the firewall if it's an eyesore.

It does help lower emissions by reburning some of the exhaust, which gives some of the compounds a second chance to reburn.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back