The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Gas tank wont fill up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darthvadar tsi

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 9, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
When I fill up at gas stations it only takes 20 cents at a time. I have been reading that the gas tank isnt venting properly and is clogged. Is there any diagrams I can look at to see how to take it off and What would I be looking for clogs etc?

Mine did this for awhile. I have a 1g so it's probably different. In my system was this little blue check valve. It has a diaphram on the inside of it that was stuck closed and was not venting. I removed it, filled it with wd-40 and used a small tool to prod the diaphram until it was loose. Then I dumped wd-40, refilled, reworked. over and over until I was satisfied.

I then reinstalled and haven't had the problem since.

Where is the blue check valve is it by the tank im sure the 1g and 2g arent too much different in that department. Thanks for the post.

The blue check valve on the 1G is on top of the tank, near the sending unit. This is on the AWD. I think the 2G unit is beneath an access panel that is under the rear seat but I dont remember if thats AWD or FWD on the 2G.

Do I half to drain the gas tank out in order to take off the valve? I still havent found it I see a line by the neck coming toward the gas tank but im not totally sure. I wish there was a picture or diagram of some sort to look at to find it.

I didn't. The blue valve is for releasing pressure out but not letting anything bad come back in.

I have no clue where it is on the 2g. Just follow the line from the fuel tank that has no fuel in it and see where it goes. If you can't find that line, see if you still have the carb canister up in your engine bay and follow the line that says "fuel tank" back and that one will bring you straight to it.

This is assuming the 2g even has that canister.

This "canister vent valve" should open when you shut the car off, and let the air escape from the tank so you can fill the tank. Check inside your front bumper.

I've seen other makes run into the symptom you're having, and it was always this.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back