The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

intercooler setup with no turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tribal_RS_96

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 19, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I've been looking at getting a Front bumper from a turbo gst because i want to replace my Rs bumper. If i do get one, I want to fill the hole in the air vent with a intercooler. to give the impression of a turbo. But I know if i set it up to flow through my engine, there will be no benefits. unless having extra fluids is a pro, what do you think?

Are you thinking stock side mount intercoolers have coolant in it? I think your better off backing away from the car right now and not modifying anything. If you want to look like you have a better car just buy a turbo wing and some gsx decals. You can buy a special edition gt-r badged mustang while your at it.

You can get intake piping and a filter that emulates the look of an intercooler...

But that's pretty lame :)

I dont like to point out ricers who got no clue whatsoever about cars, but boy, you just made me laugh so hard...

Are you thinking stock side mount intercoolers have coolant in it? I think your better off backing away from the car right now and not modifying anything. If you want to look like you have a better car just buy a turbo wing and some gsx decals. You can buy a special edition gt-r badged mustang while your at it.

LOLs, well im building as i go. Im hoping my buddy lets go of his garret turbo...but hes having too much fun with it, i plan on rebuilding a spare 2.0 block to run turbo. I know intercoolers dont hold coolant but just having a coolant can would be a much better idea.

And AWWW DOOOD! the Gt-r badged mustang was taking it toooooo far LOL

Ugh, Why does it have to be a neon? Typically you see these on Honda's, not wanna-be SRT4s...

Apparently Popular Mechanics doesn't exactly know how a turbocharged engine works either.
popular mechanics said:
"When no boost is required, like when a car is coasting, a wastegate opens to allow the exhaust gases to bypass the turbo."

Aren't they describing the senario when the BOV/bypass valve comes into play, not the wastegate? LOL
The wastegate only opens when the system reaches full boost. It's what regulates maximum boost pressure.

Why don't they just say, "The magic snail makes it go faster!" and leave it at that. At least then they wouldn't be getting their facts wrong.

I've been looking at getting a Front bumper from a turbo gst because i want to replace my Rs bumper

RS, GS, GS-T and GSX all have the same bumpers, there are no turbo bumpers. There are different bumpers on different years cars. The 95-96 have different bumpers than the 97-99.

Apparently Popular Mechanics doesn't exactly know how a turbocharged engine works either.

Aren't they describing the senario when the BOV/bypass valve comes into play, not the wastegate? LOL
The wastegate only opens when the system reaches full boost. It's what regulates maximum boost pressure.

Why don't they just say, "The magic snail makes it go faster!" and leave it at that. At least then they wouldn't be getting their facts wrong.

Haha I posted that mainly because of the video in it. I didn't even read the article.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That pic needs to be a sticky since so many non turbo people think adding an intercooler does something

Ok. I learned my lesson. Dont leave the house with a friend over. I hope he isnt serious, but i would like a new bumper and to keep my eclipse n/a

*cough* The good 'ol left my account open trick.

If you really want to do it just call it what it is, an interfooler. Maybe those 18 second hondas will get scared and back off LOL.

The sad part is the people in the hondas wont back off to anything. They honestly think they are fast with a big wing some stickers and a filter.
On the other note to Answer the question, I would leave it alone unless you are running a turbo. It will be more embarrasment than you probly want.

I dont like to point out ricers who got no clue whatsoever about cars, but boy, you just made me laugh so hard...

Amen to that!

I've gotten offers from $300 to $400 on my twin-scroll T4 Holset HX-52 turbo kit by newbs thinking that it is possible to bolt this turbo kit and make 900 AWHP and a stock engine and a stock transmission... probably an AUTOMATIC!!!

BTW - you'd probably be better gaining HP by putting stickers then putting a not needed heavy FMIC... HINT...HINT :aha:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back