The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

thumping in front end while driving

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

and1chewy

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 25, 2009
Honeybrook, Pennsylvania
so today a thump started in my front end for no apparent reason. it sounds to me like its coming specifically from the front left tire. im thinking it may be a front wheel bearing as ive though that they may have been going for a while now but i went from a slight noise to a defenitally noticable noise on ecceleration. at low speeds there is a slight whooping sound that gets faster as i accelerate. i dont think its my half shafts as i just had it inspected with no sign of wear. i didnt notice any great motor shift when i surge the throttle for the engine bay. ive read on here in two different posts that the lug nuts maybe loose which is a possibility that i will look into when and if it ever decides to stop raining. Just trying to get the expert opinions as im not great at diagnosis. i think that this is quite a coincidence but i ran through i pretty big puddle today as it was pouring pretty well on my way to work and vision was limited. but i drove ###### 20-25 miles before i heard any noise. also the thumping stops when i hit the breaks. like something is putting hold down pressure to hold whatever is thumping in place. and it is definatly a thump not a click as you would be used to hearing from a half shaft. thanks in advance guys/gals (i know your out there)

so today a thump started in my front end for no apparent reason. it sounds to me like its coming specifically from the front left tire. im thinking it may be a front wheel bearing as ive though that they may have been going for a while now but i went from a slight noise to a defenitally noticable noise on ecceleration. at low speeds there is a slight whooping sound that gets faster as i accelerate. i dont think its my half shafts as i just had it inspected with no sign of wear. i didnt notice any great motor shift when i surge the throttle for the engine bay. ive read on here in two different posts that the lug nuts maybe loose which is a possibility that i will look into when and if it ever decides to stop raining. Just trying to get the expert opinions as im not great at diagnosis. i think that this is quite a coincidence but i ran through i pretty big puddle today as it was pouring pretty well on my way to work and vision was limited. but i drove ###### 20-25 miles before i heard any noise. also the thumping stops when i hit the breaks. like something is putting hold down pressure to hold whatever is thumping in place. and it is definatly a thump not a click as you would be used to hearing from a half shaft. thanks in advance guys/gals (i know your out there)

Did you check your Wheels weights to see if they're still there?

I would start with checking the lugnuts like you mentioned. I had a similar problem with my Accord about 20 miles before the tire fell off at 40 mph.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Check the lug nuts, what kind of shape are the tires in, check for a bulge in the sidewall. Does the steering wheel shake? Check your caliper bolts. Jack the car up and try and shake the wheel top to bottom and side to side. If there's movement, could be ball joint(top to bottom), tie rod end (side to side), or wheel bearings.

there arent any wheel weights on the outside i did get a look at that not sure if there was one there to begin with. i will check the lug nuts and the tire as soon a it stops raining and i can get out there. tires arent in great shape. the ball joints are in good shape as i said i just checked/had it inspected about 3 weeks ago and havent put more than 100 miles on it since. thanks guys you confirmed what i was thinking.

Pads are at like 7-8/32 rotors are in good shape. Wouldn't warped rotors cause a shimmy when I'm braking as opposed to when I'm not? Gonna try and check the lugs when I get done work unfortunately I have a 96 jeep cherokee I'm working on for my mom and moms come first sometimes.

I heard a similar noise and it turned out that 3 of my lug nuts fell off my left front tire. Didn't scare me until I realized that I had been on the highway without 3 lug nuts doing well over highway speeds. :/

finally got out there today and had a chance to look at it. 4 lugs on the left front tire almost off. busted out the torque wrench torqued them down no more noise.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back