The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

'99 Eclipse rs Trans or clutch problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearkinz

Probationary Member
Aug 27, 2011
Gratis, Ohio
Hello Guys,

First post here as I am finally in a position monetarily to get into this hobby I have wanted to be in for years now. I bought a '99 eclipse rs. My plans are to swap out the 420 with a 4g63. But my immediate goals are to get this thing in running shape. My knowledge of automotive repair is extremely newbie with the exception of older carbureted engines. I will do my best to learn/educate myself which is the point of this project. Please bare with me as I attempt to tell you what is wrong.

Here is what I know about it. It had a new stage2 clutch installed by an amateur. Something happened along the lines of driving it and then the car would not go into gear. Now, I have it and it has been sitting for months up on jack stands. The rotors are probably rusted beyond reconciliation BUT that is not my question.

As I said the car is on jacks and when I start it up and put it into a forward gear (1-5) the front tires shift forward just a bit as if it is engaging into gear. Upon doing that and slowly (or quickly) releasing the clutch the tires do not spin or move at all. The same exact thing happens with reverse, the tires twitch backwards a bit and then when I release the clutch they dont move.

Another note is that occasionally when it is in gear like that with the tires not moving I hear a rattling sound that appears to be coming from inside a housing involving the clutch/transmission (off to the right of the engine.)

Any advice/tips/whatever you can do to help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I thank you all in advance.

Last edited:
Hey welcome to DSMtuners! As far as your car goes, definitely sounds like a clutch problem to me, I know because this has happened to my first dsm. The noise you might be hearing is known as a bad throwout bearing. Does this noise go away when the clutch is pressed in? As far as not being able to get into gear, it might be this
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If your putting it in gear, depressing the clutch pedal and the tires dont start to spin then 99.9% chance your clutch is toast! pick up a new clutch kit and OEM throwout bearing and you should be all good to go!:hellyeah:

I will get right on that! Thanks so much guys. What seems like an impossible puzzle to me I was sure would be nothing to a trained eye haha. I appreciate it and I will order my new clutch/bearing! Ill update as I go.

Make sure you get the right clutch for your engine and not to cheap out and get an ebay one, if you want it to work properly and last that is.

Make sure you get the right clutch for your engine and not to cheap out and get an ebay one, if you want it to work properly and last that is.

I am gonna go to jegs or something of the sort and check out stage2 clutches. As long as I buy a 7bolt 4g63 I can keep the same transmission correct?

The transmission is the F5MC1 correct? Came with the 420A? Then sadly you will not be able to use it on a 4G63. The swap will not bolt up because the trans would be backwards. Look under the hood of a 4g63 and a 420a car, you will see that the cams, intake and transmission are opposite of ours.

You could do a complete swap with subframe, engine, trans and appropriate modifications but be prepared for a hefty project. There is a thread on the site somewhere where a fellow member did the swap. You should try to find that thread and see what all has to be done.

If it were possible to bolt up, I do not believe I would use the F5MC1 trans on a 4G63. It was not built for turbo or the extra forces exerted on the synchros or gears. It is also weaker because we have paper packed synchros. It would probably shred upon a 2nd gear pull...just saying.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back