The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

1995 GSX occasional white smoke from idle to acceleration

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfresh702

10+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2011
Springs, Colorado
I have a 95 GSX. 6 bolt, according to receipts, was rebuilt 5-10k miles ago. Intake, exhaust, FMIC, motor mounts, 15-16 psi boost (im guessing something was done to up the boost, just dont know what) upgraded flywheel, walbro fuel pump, EGR valve removed / blocked. She runs great, all of the time. Occasionally, after idling at a red light, and as soon as i accelerate, a puff of white smoke will shoot out. It only happens during that timeframe. Under full boost, no issues, good to go. I have read many a blog on here, and some say its the valve stem seals, but only if it does it when its cold. And the turbo seals would shoot out smoke under WOT. It doesnt do it when its cold or WOT.. only after idling. I do have a CEL light on for the non-existent EGR valve. Just changed the oil, changed the valve cover gasket, flushed coolant fluids, etc. How exactly do i check for turbo shaft play? and if i upgraded to a 14B, would there have to be any tuning involved? Any suggestions?

I forgot to mention, that i also replaced the PCV valve with a new one.

Valve Stems Leak Oil.
Oil burns Blue.
Coolant Burns White.

There are a plethora of things that could cause this. What you first need to do is a compression and Leakdown test. Do your coolant Levels Drop at all over a certain amount of time? Have you ever ran hot? What does the smoke smell like? Do you smell any odd smells at all?

We're talking pushing fluids into your combustion chambers during acceleration all the way to a cracked housing in your turbo. (Long, detailed event that's nearly unbelievable).

I would say blue smoke, oil. Doesnt run hot at all ever since I had the radiator flushed.. i did notice it ran a bit hot while traveling up longer than normal hills, etc.. but not anymore... compression test = get the tool, take out the spark plugs, and pressurize it right? The smoke smells verrrry bitter like... The previous owner used a synthetic oil blend.. I changed it to full synthetic.. Stupid decision? i noticed after changing to synthetic that the exhaust smelled quite a bit different. Verrrry bitter

Thank you very much for your insight into this issue. Much appreciated.

once those 2 tests are complete, i will post the results.

LOL ok. Im gonna stop trying to be MR MECHANIC guy, and take the car to a shop. Even though they charge 100 freaking dollars for a compression test, its probably cheaper than me blowing up my engine doing this simple task. Because if the guage said 60 PSI all the way across, either my engine is gone, which i highly highly doubt, or i didnt do it right. results tomorrow. :(

I don't think I did it correctly.. It runs extremely smooth and strong. Could my compression be that jacked and it still runs amazing?

Not likely your car needs the right amount of compression to get the right amount of performance out of the fuel.

I've also read smoke from exhaust sometimes means oil in the intercooler. If so, I'm willing to try to clean it. Soap and water? Nething special?

Yah. Pray for me LOL. Taking it to a professional tomorrow. I'll post results tomorrow

I had the same white smoke issue at one point, turned out it was the valve stem seals. If you do them, make sure you buy some good ones, if not the problem is likely to come back in the near future. I have heard from people that warming the car up before driving off can help maintain strong valve stem seals, but like almost everything I can hear two sides to the story.

I would redo the compression test, look up on the site as to exactly what to do to perform this test, its really simple if you have any mechanical skills whats so ever. Good luck buddy.:hellyeah:

Thanks for your insight.. Hopefully the guys I'm taking it to know their stuff n don't try to BS me. Thanks again man.

Thanks for your insight.. Hopefully the guys I'm taking it to know their stuff n don't try to BS me. Thanks again man.

A compression test is pretty simple. Why not do it yourself? Did you have trouble performing it?

I tried myself a couple of times buy became frustrated when it read 60 psi exactly for every cylinder. I even recorded the session pointing my camera at the gauge each time to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. I also thought it could have been a faulty gauge? The MFI circuit thing is located in the cluster of fuses under the hood right? Also, the coil plug thing is very close to the injectors right?

I tried myself a couple of times buy became frustrated when it read 60 psi exactly for every cylinder. I even recorded the session pointing my camera at the gauge each time to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. I also thought it could have been a faulty gauge? The MFI circuit thing is located in the cluster of fuses under the hood right? Also, the coil plug thing is very close to the injectors right? I watched a vid on YouTube and the guy took his injectors out. Necessary?

2G's don't have the same fuses as a 1G. Here's what you can do - After you have your plugs out and the compression tester secure in one of the cylinders...

1 : Unplug the clip from each injector
2 : Unplug the coil pack - This is what your spark plug wires are connected to
3 : Get in the car and push the gas pedal to the floor
4 : Crank over 3-5 times
5 : Get out and record readings for that cylinder.

Ok will do. Question.. will not unplugging the injectors / not unplugging the coil have any effect on the compression test?

Yes. It will cause your injectors to spray fuel into your cylinder. :p Do you want to wash your cylinder walls?

Compression test results:

130-135 across the board

Leak down test results:
Good across the board

Turbo checked for leaks, none found

White smoke remains.. Scheduling appointment to remove the head and replace anything that looks jacked up. Thanks for all the advice! Hopefully no more plumes of smoke LOL.

My car has a small oil leak and burns oil periodically (very little, not enough to fix) and on the bottom of the oil cap there will sometimes be white...stuff... where the oxygen leaked in or something. Also, after driving, burnt oil has a very distinct smell.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back