The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

car wont go over 35-40 mph!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrinevans253

Probationary Member
Jun 7, 2011
auburn, Washington
How's it goin guys I just bought a 1990 plymouth laser (turbo)... I don't kno too much about turbos still learning about them... so it starts up fine smells like its burnin fuel little bit of black smoke. But when I drive it, it won't go anything over 35 to 45 and sounds like shit and boggs and starts jerking but I can shift through all my gears... I can't figure it out for nothen ### help! Thx guys!

And won't go over 3000 rpms

The transistor (Ignition control module) will kill of cylinders if its bad, I had the same problem with my 2G and it ended up being a bad transistor.

You haven't given us much to go on here....
Is the check engine light on? Here is a short list of possibilities:
Bad MAF
Bad spark plug/ignition wire
Oil leaking into spark plug tube
TPS
Ignitor
CAS
Ignition timing

I could go on for a while, but how bout starting with the basics. Does it seem to run real rough at idle? If so, start by checking your plugs and wires. If it misfires under a load, it could be the wire shorting to the head.
Don't overthink a problem until the simple stuff has been checked. Get back to us with the findings.

i had a parts car that i had to drive home that was sortof like this, the turbo was seized.

check that also, just pop off the intake and see if it spins freely

I had the same problem with my 91 talon awd turbo when i first bought it..
It would not go past 4grand whatsoever shifting normal or when i get on it..
Swapped the ecu with an eprom and everythings cool now ;)
Spooling hard to redline.

well I have a 92 talon that someone started to pull apart, I got the car on trade, put it back together and looks like I missing a few things like iac, and thermol valve, now should I be able to rotate the blow off arm, dose anyone have a iac or thermol valve. also my car runs fine but just will not go over 25 revs fine I need help Kalispell mt if there is someone out there that can help me406-755- 3330 please call It would be better for me thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back