The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

637whp and 499wtq on the stock 1g 6 bolt motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeah everything is stock on the bottom end like Armando said. I hope to get a few passes in the next week or so. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Congrats! I love when someone makes the best of the stock engine which goes to show you build engines are not necessary to hold big power on are engines. Keep us posted with the track numbers.

So I guess and its perhaps silly question,building the stock tranny was a must I guess? I see you have a shep stg three,I don't know why I was thinking the tranny was stock as well.

So I guess and its perhaps silly question,building the stock tranny was a must I guess? I see you have a shep stg three,I don't know why I was thinking the tranny was stock as well.

To my experience the tranny and a good clutch are the best mods to start out with. It will save you some headaches. Sure you can get by with the stock one and some are lucky enough to make them last but for most of us that is not the case. So to answer your question yes that is a shep stage 3 and it has worked exceptionally well in my case. :thumb:

Some engine bay pics would be great. You don't really have any pics listed on your profile.

So I have a few questions myself. Stock head gasket and head bolts or have those been swapped out? Has the motor been pulled apart and freshened up at all? I know it's stock but wondering if it's been apart at all. Compression numbers?

I currently have the motor pulled out of my car and debating on swapping to a 1g head with intake manifold and throttle body, stock head gasket, and some arp's. Can get all the parts for like $180 from a salvage yard.

I hear there's a lot of fast cars down in Orlando. I guess I need to move down there.

Some engine bay pics would be great. You don't really have any pics listed on your profile.

So I have a few questions myself. Stock head gasket and head bolts or have those been swapped out? Has the motor been pulled apart and freshened up at all? I know it's stock but wondering if it's been apart at all. Compression numbers?

I currently have the motor pulled out of my car and debating on swapping to a 1g head with intake manifold and throttle body, stock head gasket, and some arp's. Can get all the parts for like $180 from a salvage yard.

I hear there's a lot of fast cars down in Orlando. I guess I need to move down there.

Here are the latest pics as she sits right now.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The motor was opened up and refreshed about 2 years ago. It was freshened up with oem rings, oem bearings, an oem composite head gasket and arp head studs. It now has a mitsu oem metal gasket and L19 head studs. But let me make clear that she ran 10.29 with the oem composite headgasket and regular arp studs. The reason I changed it was that I bought FP springs and supertech valves for the head and while I was at it decided to get the gasket and L19's. As far as compression, the last time i checked it was at 145 across the board.

WOW incredible car! so its lasted at over 600HP for how long? is this a DD?

Is this a JDM 8.5.1 6bolt bottom end or 7.8.1 bottom end?

You probably missed it but he's using L19's and a Mitsu metal gasket....now anyway.

Isn't this the same car?

Says it has a JDM long block 8.5.1 and a extrude honed intake manifold

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/364956-new-build-91-gsx-shep-trans-qm-twin-disk-20g.html

you are absolutely right. The car was sold to me as having a jdm engine back in early 2010. So it should be 8.5:1 although the compression tests have always been 145 across the board since I bought it. That points more to a 7.8 but It really doesn't matter to me as long as it is a stock block 6 bolt. The goal is to push the stock block to its limits whether it be 7.8 or 8.5 or whatever. As far as the STOCK intake manifold goes, it was extrude honed or at least sold to me as extrude honed. I really don't see your point as it is still a STOCK intake manifold. This project was put together to push the envelope on the stock 4g63 block and the fact that it has a stock intake manifold, stock throttle body is just icing on on the cake.

What kind of plugs are you using, most people in my area on e-85 are on iridiums now.

Says it has a JDM long block 8.5.1 and a extrude honed intake manifold

Can you just list everything (that your 100% sure of) that is done to the car for us all? That way there isn't a pi$$ing match about what is done to the car or motor, etc. It gets annoying to read: I think he has this, or the "JDM" piston is better then the USDM one, that's why his car is faster, blah, blah, blah. (You get the point).

Also if there is something you don't want everyone to know about, please just say that without including the details. (For example, if you have polished the tops of the pistons and don't want to say it, just say they are cleaned up stock pistons, etc.)

Please and thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of plugs are you using, most people in my area on e-85 are on iridiums now.

I use Ngk bkr8eix

Can you just list everything (that your 100% sure of) that is done to the car for us all? That way there isn't a pi$$ing match about what is done to the car or motor, etc. It gets annoying to read: I think he has this, or the "JDM" piston is better then the USDM one, that's why his car is faster, blah, blah, blah. (You get the point).

Also if there is something you don't want everyone to know about, please just say that without including the details. (For example, if you have polished the tops of the pistons and don't want to say it, just say they are cleaned up stock pistons, etc.)

Please and thank you!

I just updated the website with the latest changes that have been made to the car and everything else that it already had. The setup list is here :

Ostar Motorsports Performance parts Precision, JE, CP, Bullseye Power, Eagle and many more

That should answer any questions on the project.

This car in particular HAS a 7.8:1 compression motor and as far as I remember i've never seen a 6 bolt engine that came with 8.5:1 compression and even tho' I could be wrong in the 15 yrs that i've been working with these cars I have never seen it and about the intake manifold extrude honed or not is still the stock intake which is horrible and the gains of the extrude hone are what? 5whp tops? if that, so please give us a break I just don't get why there's so much hate in this community no wonder everybody else talks shit about this website everywhere you go.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back