The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

camshafts wont turn

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenuwine4g63

10+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2009
Charlotte, North_Carolina
Ok...in need of some good help. I just replaced the head on my car, so i have it on and i started to do the timing belt job. I have the belt on snug/tight and proper but i cannot get the camshafts to turn. I honestly made another mistake and was turning the crankshaft and "slip" there it went turning without the cams. i have the cams lined up at TDC. Im pulling the head again to make sure i didnt bend any valves:(. All the camshaft clamps are in the right order. I need help what could it possibly be:confused: I've been doing this all day, i mean from 9am to now-6pm. Help please

The problem.....Switched cam caps. Original to original:banghead:

No need to pull the head to check if valves are bent. Just pull the valve cover and try and wiggle each roller rockers and see if any of them are looae. If all of them are nice and tight your good but now if you have any that a farely loose then you have a bent valve.

ok cool. I cant believe something so small could waste my entire da:banghead::banghead:. I used the cam caps off my other head because they are cleaner than the ones that came with my replacement head. Those bad boys are tough. But what about the cam cap that is closest to the cam gear does that one have to be changed out too. Im using the cams that came off my car instead of the ones that cam with the head. Those cam caps on the one closest to the cam gear dosnt come off...I dont believe

You must use the cam caps that came with the head, you have installed on the engine.

Like stated above. You must use the origanl cam caps for the head. Each head and cam caps are mechined to work togethor. If you mix up the cam caps from different heads the head has to get a line bore done by a mechine shop.

Hope this helps.

now you'll need to check the belt to make sure you didn't damage that as well. ie. ripping the teeth off of it. just a thought.

ohh yes i changed the cam caps and the gears turn so much easier thanks guys. The belt is fine it wasnt tight enought to pull any teeth off. i oiled the head while i was turning the engine to check my timing marks so it spins pretty good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back