The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Oil Leaking into my Spark Plug Well

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I didn't see in the other posts but might have missed it but did you replace your spark plug tube seals? If not that is the first thing you do. If so then you can send the valve cover to a machine shop to have them check it for cracks.

Maybe bad spark plug gaskets...I think i read some where VC gasket if tightened in the wrong sequence could do this aswell, but dont hold me to it.

Last edited:
Id just buy a valve cover gasket set off ebay and itll come with the 4 plug gaskets and valve cover gasket.Replace those, and like Mazda-man said...look the VC over for hairline cracks.

Do you mean where the spark plugs thread into the head or just under the spark plug cover? If the former, look into replacing your valve cover gaskets as mazda-man suggested. If the latter, the only way to tell is by looking at it carefully and that involves removing it to check the underside as well.

I just found this reply on all experts.com.The guy had the same problem as you, assuming your talking about oil in the plug well.The reply was as follows......

Oil in the spark plug chamber can mean worn out and stiff valve cover gasket seals. If you replaced the valve cover gasket seals and torqued all the bolts to spec, but it still leaks, your problem may be a warped or even cracked head gasket. Oil can also leak into your spark plug area if your valve seals and/or valve guides are worn out. Replacing any of these items would require rebuilding the entire head.

Check for other signs of oil leaks around your engine compartment. If you see oil leaks around your alternator (front, driver side), your leak may be from the oil pump or crank seal. Try replacing the PCV valve. That valve relieves pressure under the valve cover. If that valve gets clogged, pressure will be unable to vent out appropriately, and that can force oil into your spark plug chambers, and out of any weak seals. It's the cheapest and quickest solution that you should first try.
Good luck!

I just found this reply on all experts.com.The guy had the same problem as you, assuming your talking about oil in the plug well.The reply was as follows......

Oil in the spark plug chamber can mean worn out and stiff valve cover gasket seals. If you replaced the valve cover gasket seals and torqued all the bolts to spec, but it still leaks, your problem may be a warped or even cracked head gasket. Oil can also leak into your spark plug area if your valve seals and/or valve guides are worn out. Replacing any of these items would require rebuilding the entire head.

Check for other signs of oil leaks around your engine compartment. If you see oil leaks around your alternator (front, driver side), your leak may be from the oil pump or crank seal. Try replacing the PCV valve. That valve relieves pressure under the valve cover. If that valve gets clogged, pressure will be unable to vent out appropriately, and that can force oil into your spark plug chambers, and out of any weak seals. It's the cheapest and quickest solution that you should first try.
Good luck!

Not all of this is applicable to DSMs or the 4G63 engine. Take that advice with a grain of salt.

i just checked the spark plug well bolts under the plastic cover, and they were very loose, does anyone know the amount that im supposed to torque down the bolts?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Hardly hand tight, 3 ft.-lbs. (that is 36 IN.-lbs.). Be aware that over-tightening will increase chances that you crack the valve cover.

Nevermind again! Under one of the bolts there is a huge crack -_- The previous owner obvious ally didnt torque it correctly -_-

Pretty common for people to torque the hell out of them when installing.

Thanks for reminding me my 3g still needs new spark plug tube seals. The oil fills the cylinder so much that it pops the plug wires out. ROFL

Glad you found the problem.

Hmm...only reason i posted up all that other info. was because the guy asking the question on why hes getting oil in the plug well had a 97 GST.My apologies if anything on there didnt pertain to the 4g63t.

Nevermind again! Under one of the bolts there is a huge crack -_- The previous owner obvious ally didnt torque it correctly -_-

Hey, don't feel bad.
I had your exact same problem about 1 month ago.
The only difference is that it was me who barely put too much torque, if any, and cracked the valve cover. :banghead:
And yes, I had to tight them because they were loose too.

There's always a few for sale on the classifieds.

striped bolts holes can cause it too i have he same problem right now. the previous owner overtorqued the bolts and striped the bolt holes on the head. You can clearly look and see oil coming out of the bolts.

I feel like I've seen this before... what, less than 10 posts previous in this same thread?

Oil in the spark plug chamber can mean worn out and stiff valve cover gasket seals. If you replaced the valve cover gasket seals and torqued all the bolts to spec, but it still leaks, your problem may be a warped or even cracked head gasket. Oil can also leak into your spark plug area if your valve seals and/or valve guides are worn out. Replacing any of these items would require rebuilding the entire head....

As I said before, not all of this is applicable to DSMs or the 4G63 engine. A bad head gasket, bad valve stem seals, or worn out valve guides will not cause oil to leak into the spark plug wells or onto the spark plug valley on the valve cover in the 4G63. These items will cause leaks into the combustion chamber, an area very different from the one discussed here. On the other hand, valve cover gaskets will not cause an oil leak into the combustion chamber.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back