The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

HKS 264's VS GSC S2's For DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What cost are we talking for the group buy? Id be willing to sign up for some s2 s for my 2g head evo intake and 20g set up, or is there another cam profile you'd recommend?

S2s are pretty much the mainstay cam. We install S1s only when someone is really worried about a stock like idle and they want to focus on midrange power up to 6500 or so. The S2 fits quite a few applications from 16Gs to 3586s. The S3 fits larger motors (2.3s and 2.4s) and larger turbos where the focus is really 600whp and above. We tested the S3 in Cameron's car because #1 he was a willing test subject, and #2 he got screwed on a cam purchase from an EvoM user and we had the S3s there ready to go. It worked out though for sure.

Group buy-

476+shipping has been the normal introductory price for any cam set.

We will do 470 shipped for 5 customers and 450 shipped (anywhere in the lower 48) for 10 customers.

We can mix and match as needed so if big cams arent what someone is really after. The S1s are somewhere between 264s and 272s for idle characteristics, I feel pretty invisible really. S2s idle better than 4Rs and make the same or more power (in most cases). The S3s in the Evo 8 we tested actually idle better than some cars equipped with S2s because of the centerlines.

I have checked these on a degree wheel before but they are on a CNC cam grinder so they havent ever seemed to vary that I have seen.

Aaron

Id be willing if you start a group buy to sign up, hopefully some other people will chime in. I was on gsc s site and was really liking the s2 specs sounds like what Ill want

Goddamn. Full boost it looks like around 42-4300 on a 2.0 with huge cams and a sizable turbo as well. Thats some good tuning there. If im fully spooled before 4k ill be happy

Have they redesigned the S1's as well? That's what I've been running since August 2009 and I love them!!!!!!!!!!!

So for a 2.3l and something like an HTA30R Or FP Green im looking at the GS2 cam it sounds like? Not to get off topic, but how do you guys like the HTA Green. Seems like people are afraid of it in one of the turbo system threads since it isn't using some mitsu parts or some shit. Im thinking my 2.3 with the HTA Green and the GS2 Would be awsome.

Bringing this back from the dead, but I was wondering if there was any input on the previous version of the S2 cams. I picked up a parts car that has these cams, but they were bought in summer 2010, so not this current re-design. Wondering if I would be better off using them rather than the HKS 264I/272E cams?

Lucas's opinion is most solicited, as he's the man with automatic/16G experience.

I purchased a set of s2 s and installed them last weekend car has not be run. My main concern is on #4 cylinder the lobes of the cam (both Intake and exhaust) are vary close to the cam cap is this normal? It seems that 1 and 2 are good but 3 and 4 get progressively closer (does not touch) if its normal Im willing to leave it at that.

I purchased a set of s2 s and installed them last weekend car has not be run. My main concern is on #4 cylinder the lobes of the cam (both Intake and exhaust) are vary close to the cam cap is this normal? It seems that 1 and 2 are good but 3 and 4 get progressively closer (does not touch) if its normal Im willing to leave it at that.

Mine were the exact same way. The #4 intake rocker's roller is actually not even on the cam lobe on the edge...

The cam lobe is not centered on mine but all of the roller is on the lobe on mine. If its normal its normal I'm not gonna complain especially with the performance I should see from them.

I'd def want to see what changed (and more importantly, WHY did it change) over the 1st gen. of the S2 cams.

They redesigned the S2 cam after AMS did cam testings (EvoM) on a whole bunch of different cams. The Version 1 S2 cams that AMS tested made great power but lacked mid-range, this may be the reason why they redesigned it.

They redesigned the S2 cam after AMS did cam testings (EvoM) on a whole bunch of different cams. The Version 1 S2 cams that AMS tested made great power but lacked mid-range, this may be the reason why they redesigned it.

That's exactly what I was afraid off, and why I have to find out more info before deciding to use the GSC S2 cams that I have. I suspect they are the older version as they were bought in summer 2010 and Lucas posted this thread as "first to test the new design" in 2011.

Given the info in this thread from Lucas, it seems the new design S2 cams still give up significant torque from 4000rpm to 5000rpm, which just so happens to be the launch rpm for my automatic/stock converter car to leave and pull through the 60'. There are spots where tq is down 70-80ftlb! Granted, Lucas tested with a 3065 turbo and saw a 400rpm spool difference which accounts for the large majority of the torque deficit. But even from 4500-5000rpm, the S2 cams are still down compared to the hks 264's once both are at the same 20psi of boost.

It's hard to judge how the spool loss will affect an e3 16g compared to the 3065, as my launch rpm of 4200 should still be way above the "full spool" rpm. The loss in spool-up due to the bigger cams might not effect the launch and 30+psi might still be attainable on the converter since the E3 16g comes up to 20+psi about 3500rpm.

On the other hand, if the previous version of the S2 cams are even worse than the current S2 grind for midrange torque, as you eluded to the reason for the re-design, then that's really bad news for an automatic car. :banghead:

The current grind might be a wash where gaining 750rpm of top end breath is negated by the loss in first gear. The previous gring might be a net loss.

I'm sure you got the revised version... I was thinkin' about switching to the revised S2s in my Evo, late 2008.

And the AMS testing was done late 2007/ early 2008, I heard rumors of the redesign before the AMS results were ever posted.

your best bet is to contact Greg at GSC, only he can confirm the dates.

bringing this topic back to live

do u guys think for a 2.2L destroke + HX35 .70 turbine housing will suit a S1 or S2 , bare in mind its a track time attack car n not a drag car :)

bringing this topic back to live

do u guys think for a 2.2L destroke + HX35 .70 turbine housing will suit a S1 or S2 , bare in mind its a track time attack car n not a drag car :)

I think with the additional displacement the S2 would still be a good fit. I just made 444 awhp through an auto at 25psi. HP is pretty flat from 6000-7500rpm. I can't really create any low rpm loads due to the converter though. It really doesn't feel "peaky" but I haven't tried anything else for comparison.

Just noticed some comments in this thread. The DSM S2 is a completely new design and was never revised at any point. They were only ever released with the then garnered knowledge from Evo 8s and engine simulation prior to release.

In an Evo 8 there is no appreciable spool loss on small turbos. I havent seen any issues until we get to an S3 on a 2.0L or smaller than 2.1 and then its the same as what we saw here with the HKS264s vs S2s. Since the 264s are only slightly better than stock cams in my opinion a 400 rpm loss from stock to a real profile isnt that big of a deal.

Also remember a dyno with the load control off is no comparison to the street or load with a boost braked auto.

Aaron

Sharma,

I would run the S2 with that combo and the 2.2L displacement. A 92mm crank or 94mm or the even rarer turned down diesel crank?

Aaron

That you would like me to clarify an intuition:
I've seen graphs of flow bench, I realize that this HKS 272 at the edge of the valve lift and cfm peak.
This suggests to me that cams with more lift than the peak cfm would cause losses on stock head?
For example using kelford 272 in the head stock, it would be worse than using HKS 272. Even kelford a command that comes with more gains .. correct?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back