The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset Turbos, PART 8

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah... Sweet downpipe made by 92tsiawdguy (Kyle) Great Guy and hell of a fabricator.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

BTW, a 3" aluminum V-band gasket/spacer sealed up the exhaust leak at the v-band we had...

Brave welding in the bay like that LOL.

->PrOjEcTGS<-
What hotside are you running with the H1E?
Looks like a T3 bolted to a T4 manifold that is drilled and tapped for both T3 and T4 foot print.

I've heard those H1E's also come in a twin scroll non-wastegated 16cm^2 T4 housing.
Any word on that?

Not sure what he has for a hotside. My particular h1e came with a twin scroll 22cm t4 hotside. Non wastegated of course

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Brave welding in the bay like that LOL.

Well... I am courageous!

But seriously... It's not like I was migging this thing together. Kyle was there with his tig welder. So its not like we were spraying sparks everywhere... At that particular picture moment he was tacking the Vband in place. We then pulled it off and he welded it all up.

->PrOjEcTGS<-
What hotside are you running with the H1E?
Looks like a T3 bolted to a T4 manifold that is drilled and tapped for both T3 and T4 foot print.

I've heard those H1E's also come in a twin scroll non-wastegated 16cm^2 T4 housing.
Any word on that?

This hotside is a 12cm Twin Scroll t3 flanged. It is wastegated but welded shut.

I'm not sure what all the H1E comes in since I'm running an H1C turbine wheel and housing. I don't know for sure but I think the H1E hotside mimics the HX40 line of turbos whereas the H1C mimics the HX35. I sort of have a hybridized Holset here...

Hi there guys

My buddy would like to have a nice fast spool setup.

what you guys think of a
hx35 56mm 7 blade , 60/70mm turbine wheel + Fp .68 turbine housing
will it be able to perform well in the circuit, and yes it runs on a built 2.0 6bolt.
It should have fast spool. He does wish to hit around 400-450whp.

Hi there guys

My buddy would like to have a nice fast spool setup.

what you guys think of a
hx35 56mm 7 blade , 60/70mm turbine wheel + Fp .68 turbine housing
will it be able to perform well in the circuit, and yes it runs on a built 2.0 6bolt.
It should have fast spool. He does wish to hit around 400-450whp.

If 400-450whp is all that's desired, then the 8-blade HX35 will suit that perfectly.
In a bolt on housing the 8-blades spool up wicked fast.
Do some research and you will see.
There are even videos on you tube showing the ridiculously fast spool of a 8-blade hx35.

I read of someone that has done this hybrid you speak of on the DSMTalk forums.
Come to think of it, it may have been a HX40 in a FP30 Series Housing.

Regardless, if it was a good combination, we would have heard more about it.

About the only thing one gains from doing said operation is the fancy Turbine Housing/Wastegate/V-Band O2 Housing..., that's it, it's not proven, it may not work well at all and if none of the parts are in his possession, then it's at least a $1000+ experiment, if he has a healthy HX35 to run in said housing...

Tell him if he has a $400 FP30 Series housing, (that he's willing to butcher) and $250 FP V-Band O2 Housing and an external gate laying around then try it and report back.

If not, then tell him to save his $1000 to purchase the items and have the housing machined to accept the much larger HX35 turbine wheel.

There is absolutely no reason to run the FP30 series turbine housing on a HX35.
The Bullseye Power .55 A/R DSM Bolt On Housing is proven to 500whp at only 30psi.
Spool is 20+psi by 3500 rpm and that's with 272's in a 1g head with a 1g intake manifold.

If your buddy needs to buy everything to make any set-up happen, then it's all about pricing everything out and seeing which option he's willing to try.

The bolt on housing with a 8-blade is proven to produce the power he wants with ridiculous spool speeds.

The bolt on housing with a 7-blade is proven to produce 500whp at 30psi with 20+psi by 3500 rpm, and that's with 272 sized camshafts, a 1g head and intake manifold.

Then there's the best performing, most expensive and fastest spooling set-up The 7-blade HX35 in the stock 12cm^2 housing.
Weld the internal wastegate flapper shut, build a custom O2 housing, buy a T3 divided collector exhaust manifold provisioned for twin external gates and never look back.

Proven 25psi by 3500 rpm in 3rd gear.
Proven 25psi by 3100 rpm in 5th gear.

There's even a HX35 in the 10's already.
Not sure what housing it's running, but it's flying!

I'm pretty sure the best bang for the buck is the bolt on housing for the HX35, period.

If 400-450whp is all that's desired, then the 8-blade HX35 will suit that perfectly.
In a bolt on housing the 8-blades spool up wicked fast.
Do some research and you will see.
There are even videos on you tube showing the ridiculously fast spool of a 8-blade hx35.

I read of someone that has done this hybrid you speak of on the DSMTalk forums.
Come to think of it, it may have been a HX40 in a FP30 Series Housing.

Regardless, if it was a good combination, we would have heard more about it.

About the only thing one gains from doing said operation is the fancy Turbine Housing/Wastegate/V-Band O2 Housing..., that's it, it's not proven, it may not work well at all and if none of the parts are in his possession, then it's at least a $1000+ experiment, if he has a healthy HX35 to run in said housing...

Tell him if he has a $400 FP30 Series housing, (that he's willing to butcher) and $250 FP V-Band O2 Housing and an external gate laying around then try it and report back.

If not, then tell him to save his $1000 to purchase the items and have the housing machined to accept the much larger HX35 turbine wheel.

There is absolutely no reason to run the FP30 series turbine housing on a HX35.
The Bullseye Power .55 A/R DSM Bolt On Housing is proven to 500whp at only 30psi.
Spool is 20+psi by 3500 rpm and that's with 272's in a 1g head with a 1g intake manifold.

If your buddy needs to buy everything to make any set-up happen, then it's all about pricing everything out and seeing which option he's willing to try.

The bolt on housing with a 8-blade is proven to produce the power he wants with ridiculous spool speeds.

The bolt on housing with a 7-blade is proven to produce 500whp at 30psi with 20+psi by 3500 rpm, and that's with 272 sized camshafts, a 1g head and intake manifold.

Then there's the best performing, most expensive and fastest spooling set-up The 7-blade HX35 in the stock 12cm^2 housing.
Weld the internal wastegate flapper shut, build a custom O2 housing, buy a T3 divided collector exhaust manifold provisioned for twin external gates and never look back.

Proven 25psi by 3500 rpm in 3rd gear.
Proven 25psi by 3100 rpm in 5th gear.

There's even a HX35 in the 10's already.
Not sure what housing it's running, but it's flying!

I'm pretty sure the best bang for the buck is the bolt on housing for the HX35, period.

i actually do have a hx40 56mm 6blade billet turbo which happens to be damaged on the shaft. So i am letting it go to my buddy , he already has a FP30 housing and a 44mm wastegate. So wht he is going to do is get a hx35 core , swap the billet wheel into it and then mate it with the FP30 housing.
The main reason why most dsm'ers do not buy the FP30 housing is because most of them do not knw the FP30 thats used on the FP3065 and 3052 will not fit because the GT catridge has a diffrent heatshield dimensionn n etc

but actually FP has a catridge tht fits the Holsets, its the FP30 T31 n its much much more cheaper n its even cheaper than BEP's , bt of cos u need to machine it to fit the turbine wheel , tht can be handled by my side easily
of cos the o2 housing has to be fabricated as well

we will see hw it goes on a 2.0l , hopefully it will spool up fine

i actually do have a hx40 56mm 6blade billet turbo which happens to be damaged on the shaft. So i am letting it go to my buddy , he already has a FP30 housing and a 44mm wastegate. So wht he is going to do is get a hx35 core , swap the billet wheel into it and then mate it with the FP30 housing.
The main reason why most dsm'ers do not buy the FP30 housing is because most of them do not knw the FP30 thats used on the FP3065 and 3052 will not fit because the GT catridge has a diffrent heatshield dimensionn n etc

but actually FP has a catridge tht fits the Holsets, its the FP30 T31 n its much much more cheaper n its even cheaper than BEP's , bt of cos u need to machine it to fit the turbine wheel , tht can be handled by my side easily
of cos the o2 housing has to be fabricated as well

we will see hw it goes on a 2.0l , hopefully it will spool up fine
So you're going to do a hybrid HX35/HX40 in a FP30 Series Housing for the T31 turbine wheel machined to fit the HX35 turbine wheel?

What manifold does he plan on running?

Good luck with that and be sure to let us know how it turned out.

My H1C (baby) with an H1C (BIG) compressor cover and wheel with a 16^2cm TS T3 Non-wastegated Turbine housing.

Not sure if you guys can make out the 16 on the turbine housing or not but it is there.

Last edited:
So you're going to do a hybrid HX35/HX40 in a FP30 Series Housing for the T31 turbine wheel machined to fit the HX35 turbine wheel?

What manifold does he plan on running?

Good luck with that and be sure to let us know how it turned out.

yeaps, it would be a hx30/40 hybrid but then again, this billet wheel isnt as big as the normal hx40's, its 56mm inducer , 85mm exducer , n it would be running in a FP30 housing

he is already running a FP manifold

here are some pics that projectTSI sent to me by PM
thanks for the pics kyle

Also doing the holset\fp hybrid thing, using an H1E 60mm 8 blade billet.

Also doing the holset\fp hybrid thing, using an H1E 60mm 8 blade billet.

hi there :)
whts the turbine wheel size that you are using

60/70mm , 65/76mm , or 68/76mm :)
would like to know whts the max tht can be machined in the housing
so far as i know, FP has fitted GT35 wheels in it which is 62/68mm

yeaps, it would be a hx30/40 hybrid but then again, this billet wheel isnt as big as the normal hx40's, its 56mm inducer , 85mm exducer , n it would be running in a FP30 housing

he is already running a FP manifold

here are some pics that projectTSI sent to me by PM
thanks for the pics kyle

What size oil feed is that ? I got the feed adapter from extremepsi but it did not work and i have been searching but no clear answer

hi there :)
whts the turbine wheel size that you are using

60/70mm , 65/76mm , or 68/76mm :)
would like to know whts the max tht can be machined in the housing
so far as i know, FP has fitted GT35 wheels in it which is 62/68mm

i actually had this done for him at a local turbo shop... im not sure of the turbine wheel size but i can tell you its pretty much bored to the max.

Is anyone interested in my 6 blade HX40? 0 miles since factory rebuild. 18cm ceramic coated hot side and center section. Polished compressor housing with anodized purple velocity stack. Lots more just pm me if your interested.:rocks:

I just ditched my hx35 in favor for an He351 because it pretty much comes with a free bep T3 housing. I had the stock 4" v-band flange turned down and going to tap a few holes into the housing. From there I will slap a plate on which will cover the waste gate hole and weld the down pipe on.
Hoes does the He351 spool compare to the Hx35?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoes does the He351 spool compare to the Hx35?
Bigger compressor wheel, smaller turbine wheel, smaller non-divided turbine housing on the HE351. Not exactly sure how that would compare in terms of spool- you should be the first to let us know!

Hey guys i'm looking for an HX-40 hot side. I'd like to find a 17cm T4 housing or even a 12cm,14cm, or 16cm T3 HX35 housing I could turn on a lathe to fit the HX40. If anyone has anything please let me know.

I have an 18cm now but i'm afraid the spool will be bad on the street even with the twin scroll mani.

I have a new custom 14cm hsing that came with my HX40 if u r interested. I wanna go 16cm or 18cm with a TS mani when I have the loot. I have a new 16cm and a used 18cm sitting here but they have to be laithed to fit my HX40.

Chris, did you decide to do the EFR turbo after all? Full-Race manifold and everything?
Negatve, that's a $3500+ purchase when coupled with a JMF TS T4 manifold, 3" V-Band DP, twin TiAL 38mm MV-S Gates.

I got a smoking deal on this.

4" Anti-Surge Comp Cover w/Map Width Enhancement Groove.
1.22 A/R TS T4 inlet <--- (gasket matched not shown yet), Turbine Housing w/3" V-band Outlet, <--- (not yet modified).
30psi by 3800rpm on a stock Evo with a 1.15 A/R TS T4 housing.
~59lbs/min

And best of it all, I sold my HX35 and the Ultimate Twin Scroll Kit to fund this purchase.

Now I can actually justify spending $900 on a JMF Divided Exhaust Manifold vs. a Divided T3 Manifold that limited my upgrade choices, if warranted, in the future.

And another great thing is, if I ever decide to float the scratch for a larger EFR turbo in the future, it would bolt right in.

No other modifications necessary, other than oil feed and return.

I sold my HX35 to my buddy with a 1g that has a FFWD Long Block.
He drives the laptop, and I drive his 1g while tuning. :rocks:

I hope I made a wise decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back