The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

DIY Supercharger 4G63...(warning lots of photos..)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayRome

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 12, 2008
Victoria, Australia
a few people have requested pictures and or plans regarding my old Supercharger set up on my 4g.. (mods if this thread needs to be moved to correct section please do so..)

this may clear some things up, i have lost alot of detailed photos due to a HD getting currpted but i can answer anyones question in regards to the set up...

the supercharger used was an Eaton M45 from a Mercedes C200 Kompressor

any questions just ask... i would suggest building everything on a spare engine, it makes things alot easier..

warning: i wont be held responsible if you blow your s*#t up :p

extractors/headers to cope with the boost: (i just recycled my old tri-y's and turned them tuned length)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

manifold design:

(i wouldnt try and weld alloy with a mig, it sucks balls, but it works... kinda...)

(Using the stock aircon belt tensioner for the supercharger belt)

installation:

i stitch overlap weld to ensure each weld has no leaks...

with stock pully it was happy full boosting 8psi and around 3psi from idle

any questions feel free to ask...

YouTube - Supercharged Galant GSR (better camera)

YouTube - Supercharged 4G63 Dyno'd

Jerome :dsm:

What's that charger?

A friend of mine is doing something similar. Can you tell was it good? Pros and cons?

Thanks!

Pro would be no lag at all, matched with the right cams it feels and pulls like a bigger engine as well as having a wider power band.. also scaring the s*#t out of big block owners when they hear the whine under a mitsu bonnet...

Con would be that sometimes Superchargers are more expensive then a turbo in regards to its parts and replacements, and tuning.. some tuners freak when they see a supercharged on a worked 4cyl....

other wise same as turbo... but without the kick in the back of the head..

where did you get the super charger from?

LOL Ebay US.....

Thanks for the info. I have more questions :)

How about hp loss to spin the charger? What is the brand/model of the supercharger? What cams did you use? Any dyno numbers?

Thanks for the info. I have more questions :)

How about hp loss to spin the charger? What is the brand/model of the supercharger? What cams did you use? Any dyno numbers?

loose around 5-10%ish power to spin the charger (depending on the charger design wise, can be more or less), more torque, the instant boost makes up alot of the lost power.. add a sandwich plate cooler between the supercharger and the manifold and you can make alot more of that lost power back.....

its in the first post... Eaton M45 from a Merc C200/180 Kompressor

and no i didnt get enough time to dyno and tune properly before the supercharger died racing someone in the mountains..... (it was a 2nd hand unit couldnt expect much)

Last edited by a moderator:
All right. Thank you for the info. I appreciate it. One last thing. What boost and charger RPM@engine RPM was the charger running?

that i dont remember, the pully was 1/3rd smaller then the stock VR4 4G63 pully...

from memory it was around 3psi ish from idle 1krpm and 8psi constant after 2.2krpm that...

plan on getting a new supercharger??

What are you plans for it now?
Keep us updated!

yes i have been looking for a replacement supercharger, but at the moment can not seem to find one...

currently running an EVO8 turbo which replaces the supercharger, i do miss the S/C whine though, it did turn alot of heads...

Very cool first time i've seen that. This should be moved to custom fabrication. How much power are you making at 8psi?

i'd say it was making an easy 150kw at the front wheels before the S/C died..

when it did hit the dyno i got 57kw at 38% before my fuel system said no more (n/a ECU and injectors).... slapped on the VR4 ecu and injectors and she was back to more power but pinged slightly due to the maps being off....

cheers for the comments guys....

i would love more people to give the Supercharged way a go, they sound awesome and can still keep up with the turbos and you dont normally hear a supercharger whine on a ### car...

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a very interesting build and perhaps we(well 1g owners) could use the exhaust from a non turbo 4g that would eliminate the exhaust fab. As far as the intake that is another story.

How was it getting the belt for the s/c as well as making those belt tensioner mounts?

Would not believe it if I didn't see it. Insane build.

My thoughts exactly. I definitely won't be going this route, but it's still cool to see that someone gave it a try. A guy I lived with at college last year is doing a supercharger set-up on his Subaru 2.5RS though. I don't remember for sure, but that may even be the same supercharger he has. Either way it's a pretty cool build. If you ever swap back to a SC make a comparison to the turbo you're currently running. I'm sure a comparable turbo will put up much better numbers, but it would still be interesting to see the difference.

I was stoked when i saw your car in the widebody thread you posted, I never saw one in the u.s., Then i realized that you were in australia, Bummer.

Either way, Cool car and props to you for thinking out of the DSM Box. It gave me a new approach to things. Much like Paul Volk (99Gstracer) did with his compound set up. I love seeing custom work. Later.
-Dave

It is a very interesting build and perhaps we(well 1g owners) could use the exhaust from a non turbo 4g that would eliminate the exhaust fab. As far as the intake that is another story.

How was it getting the belt for the s/c as well as making those belt tensioner mounts?

yer some of the non turbo 4g64 stock manifold are already tri-y design so its easy if you know what your doing..

as for the belt, its actually not hard, just used string to see how long it had to be, then went to my local parts shop and requested a belt this big with 4 ribs in it... you really have to play around with the pully's to get it exat but if your mechanicaly minded it should be easy....

its a fun project if anyone attempts it..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back