The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

How to fill ball joints with no grease fitting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

they make a fitting that you can put on a grease gun that will slip in the top or bottom of the rubber boot and insert grease on the ball joint you might have to take the nut off. This is after the ball joint is installed.

Those needles for grease guns are for tiny tiny grease fittings, such as those you find on small heim joints, not injecting grease into a boot. If the joint doesn't have a fitting, you are never going to get grease to go into it. Joints that are meant to be greased have clearance for the grease and channels in the socket to allow grease to flow around it. I'm afraid you are SOL.

I've always drilled, tapped, and installed my own fittings in the non-greaseable tie rod ends on DSMs; never been faced with changing a ball joint on my own yet (dealer replaced the last ones under recall), but they would get drilled and tapped as well.

Ok I like the drill and tap idea but how do you know you get all the shavings out?
I have done that with different bearing housings before but the bearings were removable. No chance of contamination. maybe run a vacuum right at the point of drilling and taping but I still don't know.

thats what i was about to say LOL it dont matter just drill a hole in it and screw in a zerk fitting!

I say drive the thing until the ball joint becomes loose, then replace these whole assembly.. will come pre-lubed and ready to install from the factory. Good to go for another 100K

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back