The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Whats Wrong with my car? VIDEO

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMnOOb00

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2006
FRESNO, California
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XoPkL-aohEk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XoPkL-aohEk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

first it has a tough time getting started and gives out a LOUD squeek before it fires up, and if i rev too high it dies...

help! :confused:

Sounds like a belt to me. The tensoner rod in eagles and eclipses is really bad. My talon does it with the alt belt. I'd do a boost leak test first. have you checked the spark plugs? The tick sounds terrible, could be a messed up head, or crank walk. Question is 6 bolt or 7 bolt? Why wasnt in running, more info please!

Thanks!

its a 7bolt, it wasnt making the sound a few weeks ago.. I havent drivin the car in a LONG time, I just start it up everyonce in a while to keep everything warm.
that squeek just started...

Does it have soft pipes? Do you have any gauges?(moniter these), i have so many in my car there isnt any room for error. soft pipes like to dry rot. If i'd have someone start it and listen on the crank side,and for the belts. Do a boost leak test and tell me how it goes. Could be your timing belt slipping also Check that as soon as possible! avoid reving to high just incase it is.

Last edited:
noises are a bastard sometimes,i only hear the noise when it starts. it could be a belt or the starter. get some belt dressing or just wet the belts a little then start it see if the noise changes ,if it does then there you go. have some one help you listen on startup and also check to see if there are cracks in the belts.(check the starter to). that tick souns like a single tick like a bad lifter!!!!!.
as for the car stalling when it comes back to idle speeds, check for air leaks!!!/vac leaks. turn the ac on and see if it still does it!!!

first it has a tough time getting started and gives out a LOUD squeek before it fires up, and if i rev too high it dies...

help! :confused:[/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like you should change your oil and service all the belts, tensioners and rollers on the side of the engine. The car just sounds like its had its ass kicked. I don't know what that tick is because I can't really hear the depth of it from the mic on the camera. From here it sounds like valve tick but as that dude was so quick to jump to; it could be worse. Don't go toss yourself into a panic over anything, just service your car properly, and don't run idiotic boost for your set up and you should be okay, well maybe...

:talon:

Actually, this dude was trying to help i was saying the tick from what i can hear sounds bad. and might want to be checked. Usually every car has a lifter tick,(aluminum head) But typically since any 1g or 2g has a cast iron head there isnt a big problem with lifters or ticks. I was asuming that the car hasnt been started in a while and it could just be oil pressure:D i forgot to post that. Check the timing and the crank for any "give" if it moves back in forth.

I just changed the oil in the car and it just came back from the shop for turbo/o2 housing port n polish
car hasnt been on the road for about 2years... ever since I had the engine rebuilt it has giveing me nothing but problems ( BUT GOD I LOVE HER! )

I havent had time to try anything yet but any and all advice is much appreciated

I did find a hole in my exhaust muffler, would that hurt anything that far down in the exhaust?

Any comments on whether or not the having a hole in the muffler would make the engine click?

Also I have a question about fouled up spark plugs, I know that having a really bad boost leak might cause fouled up sparks but what else would?

dude, check your spark wires
IF ITS IN THE CORRECT POSISTION TOO.

I hope im right :D

Good luck !

You have a serpentine belt that is a bit loose or worn that is where the squeak comes from, there are only two I'm sure you can find it. Don't be worried about the tick, its called lifter tick to get this to go away you need to buy the revised 3g lifters, they are about $100 (search the forums for this.). When you rev high the idle doesn't seem to catch, this is because of a boost leak, I would recommend just tightening the clamps on all of your intercooler piping and see if it helps otherwise just make a home depot boost leak tester (search the forums for this also). These are all problems that are very easy to fix all you need to do is search the things I just pointed out and your car will be running perfect in no time.

Soulds like the good old crank walk to me. The loud squeak is probably from the bad rod bearing. once it gets some oil its fine well except for the fact that it knocks. I would change oil maybe try a heavier wait oil see if the knock goes away but to me it sounds like more tan just lifter tick. It sounds like rod knock from a bad rod bearing.

You have a serpentine belt that is a bit loose or worn that is where the squeak comes from]
(psst! .. Motor's same as yours - one belt to run the alt and WP and the small one to run the PS. No, 'serps' here.)

Squeaking is coming from the starter. Starters don't like being fired up all the time and the bronze sleeve bearing on the spindle expand due to getting hot and the shaft gets a bit of play.

That ticking is real sad like that lifter is shot.

Im telling you buddy go through exactly what I told you and your car will be perfect.

interesting. Your oil gauge doesnt move when you rev the engine. Is your oil pump going bad?

your engine sounds realy bad. Check the oil level etc. You'r oil presure doesnt rise a bit when revving,i think the head isn't getting enough oil and thats way you'r lifters are making noise My advise dont run that engine before you know whats wrong.

sounds like your belt also i would upgrade to 3g lifters... if thats whats causing that ticking noise... unless its the exhaust manifols having a leak

Im telling you buddy go through exactly what I told you and your car will be perfect.

+1, especially check the recirc tubing for the BOV. IF it is leaking there, you will have the same issue. Mine did that when I was running a non-recirc BOV (it came with the car that way, I found a 1G BOV at a pull-a-part for 2 bucks to fix the issue).

Agree on the lifters and belt issue too. If this has been sitting for a while, the belts are an easy $20 fix for the squeak.

There are no sepentines in these motors. Its a bronze starter sleve bushing, or another worn belt that makes the noise. As i brought up the problem of the "ticking" it sounds like the good rod knock on a 7 bolt, as i said before check the crank for "play", oil levels, filters ect. Worse comes to worse if you dont know what your doing(not in a rude way) just have a trusted mechanic look it at so they dont get you putting parts in your car that you dont need. Also, to those who think its a lifter tick, ill send you a video of a lifter and a rod knock or a bearing . This most definitely sounds a little bit louder then a lifter or even a exaust leak wouldnt make that loud of a clicking that far in the back..

Dsmnoob- The exaust leak in your car could be making your car dieing. My old car has a hole in the headers and would die if rev'd to high, on a turbo car that runs off of exaust fumes might be more dependant on a closed exaust.
1. Boost leak check.
50-100-$http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...-boost-leak-test-how-boostpro-net-tester.html
5-10 at home depo-http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html
2. Check all belts for cracks, tears, or the looseness of the belts(except the timing which is dependant on where the motor sits)
http://home.comcast.net/~tnunley/plenum_gasket/cracked belt.jpg
3.Replace the muffler(Get done for cheap at a shop)
4.Maintenance (Oil filter, fuel filter, oil, belts if needed, plugs, and wires)
5.Get your motor, compression tested(for free) and as i said before a good mechanic to check for crank walk and the ticking noise so people on here can get some peice of mind.

Hope that helps! Best of luck
Dan

Your not going to hear crankwalk. If you hear anything while you have crank walk then its either rods knocking or the main bearings spinning. Not crankwalk. Now you could have crankwalk at the same time as a spun main or rod knock. They however are not the same thing. People need to stop throwing crankwalk out there as the first thing thats wrong. Very few of the issues diagnosed as "crankwalk" on this forum actually are.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back