The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

GMB water pumps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'97boostinGST

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 1, 2010
Oxnard, California
I have a "GMB" water pump that i got with the block, i searched it up and its
"supposed" to be a high performance pump.
Any of you guys have any history with one of these?

I'm running a GMB pump that I got from NAPA to replace with when I got my belt kit from the Mitsu dealer.

No problems here and that was 21k miles ago on install .... good luck-DSM

It's not a "high-performance" pump really. Just an OEM replacement. They work fine, I have used one before.

I run one in my 2g, no problems. But only .5 miles driven on it and 6 hours of idling so far.

Nice..is there a way to know if its for a 6 or 7 bolt?
Dude also gave me a front case but its a 7 bolt and i might think that the pump is a 7 bolt too.
Heres a pic..
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks guys.

OEM Mitsubishi timing tensioners / pulleys are manufactured by GMB. I've used a Topline and GMB water pump and both were good....not much too a water pump, so the cheaper ones will do just fine compared to the expensive Mitsu ones...not sure who manufactures those though.

idk about the topline ones.
topline in general ive heard is garbage.

ive been running a gmb water pump for a good 40k.
but one thing to note is that their water pipe o-rings cannot handle oil and get brittle and crack. other than that i have nothing against them.

Figured I'd bring this back from the dead and add some information. Just got my "gates" waterpump for my 1g. GMB must make gates waterpumps also as it's branded GMB.

Just a little more info for anyone wanting to know.

That is interesting. GMB is both the OEM manufacturer of our water pumps and the manufacturer of Gates, apparently. Water pumps just got cheaper.

Figured it would be useful information. Rockauto had them for pretty cheap, so I jumped on it.

Yea, Mines been on there for over 20k with no issues, and straight water with water wetter.

I work at Advanced Auto and we stock mainly GMB / World Wide / Drive-Rite pumps.

GMB are as close to OEM new quality as you can get pretty much. World-Wides are good too. Drive Rite anything is completely junk.

I have a "GMB" water pump that i got with the block, i searched it up and its
"supposed" to be a high performance pump.
Any of you guys have any history with one of these?
I am planning to do a full timing belt and water pump replacement on my 92 Stealth tt, and since these are a decade old posts, I was wondering about the current experience on using GMB products ?

I am planning to do a full timing belt and water pump replacement on my 92 Stealth tt, and since these are a decade old posts, I was wondering about the current experience on using GMB products ?
Go ahead. GMB is a Japanese company and many people use their product as OEM replacement, because good quality and cheaper than OEM.

Not that the Mitsubishi parts champion of the world needs me to confirm anything for him but I will anyways.

I have both the NTN and Koyo idler and tensioner pulleys in their respective boxes and they are a 100% match to the OEM pulleys in the Mitsu boxes.

Also, the Aisin water pump 'trick' has been known for nearly 20 years. I know for certain in the early 2000s I was using them.

Aisin is one of Toyota group, so mainly supplying engine/drivetrain parts for Toyota and some other car manufacturers including the water pump for Mitsubishi at the DSM era, I am not sure about right now.
Aisin group is way bigger than GMB group but it doesn't mean GMB is bad at least as OME replacement. GMB is kinda specialized in water pumps and bearings and also have a lot of history and experience with it, and supplying for some manufacturers, too. They just don't supply for Mitsubishi. But their price is way lower than Aisin's.

Aisin is one of Toyota group, so mainly supplying engine/drivetrain parts for Toyota and some other car manufacturers including the water pump for Mitsubishi at the DSM era, I am not sure about right now.
Aisin group is way bigger than GMB group but it doesn't mean GMB is bad at least as OME replacement. GMB is kinda specialized in water pumps and bearings and also have a lot of history and experience with it, and supplying for some manufacturers, too. They just don't supply for Mitsubishi. But their price is way lower than Aisin's.
GMB does do a lot of OEM, but definitely *not* DSM water pumps, which have been Aisin pumps since the 1990s through current time. They (GMB) were the ones who supplied Gates with their pumps back when Gates had two versions floating around under the same part number. Some were marked "Made in Japan" (these were GMB, and not bad) and others were marked "Made in China" (these are of unknown manufacturer) which now are the only pumps that Gates sells.

Gates typically doesn't make anything in their timing kits other than the belts. For example, the older 1G kits actually had the OEM manufacturer Koyo idler pulleys in them, and then used SKF and GMB bearings in them. Now, the 1G kits are comprised of GMB tensioner pulley, GMB balance shaft tensioner pulley, and a no-name China manufactured idler pulley. The idler pulley in their kit has changed at least three times since 2004. They started with the Koyo (same as OEM), then went to GMB, then went to the current no-name unit out of China.

I won't argue about GMB overall as a company. But I will say that I've seen a higher failure rate on them (the pumps) being used on DSMs over the years. That being said--I've seen Toyota groups talking about a higher failure rate on with using Aisin pumps on their cars (5th Gen Camrys for example). Conversly, Jeep and Cummins guys swear by the GMBs.

The pattern I'm trying to show is that "one company doesn't build the best parts for all makes/models". I know that the Aisin/OEM mitsu pumps have been overall, very reliable on the 1G and 2G cars over the 25 or so years I've been working with them, so that's what I'll continue to use/suggest. If it's for another brand/model, I'm open to GMB/etc. as I simply don't have the same kind of experience with those cars.

GMB does do a lot of OEM, but definitely *not* DSM water pumps, which have been Aisin pumps since the 1990s through current time. They (GMB) were the ones who supplied Gates with their pumps back when Gates had two versions floating around under the same part number. Some were marked "Made in Japan" (these were GMB, and not bad) and others were marked "Made in China" (these are of unknown manufacturer) which now are the only pumps that Gates sells.

Gates typically doesn't make anything in their timing kits other than the belts. For example, the older 1G kits actually had the OEM manufacturer Koyo idler pulleys in them, and then used SKF and GMB bearings in them. Now, the 1G kits are comprised of GMB tensioner pulley, GMB balance shaft tensioner pulley, and a no-name China manufactured idler pulley. The idler pulley in their kit has changed at least three times since 2004. They started with the Koyo (same as OEM), then went to GMB, then went to the current no-name unit out of China.

I won't argue about GMB overall as a company. But I will say that I've seen a higher failure rate on them (the pumps) being used on DSMs over the years. That being said--I've seen Toyota groups talking about a higher failure rate on with using Aisin pumps on their cars (5th Gen Camrys for example). Conversly, Jeep and Cummins guys swear by the GMBs.

The pattern I'm trying to show is that "one company doesn't build the best parts for all makes/models". I know that the Aisin/OEM mitsu pumps have been overall, very reliable on the 1G and 2G cars over the 25 or so years I've been working with them, so that's what I'll continue to use/suggest. If it's for another brand/model, I'm open to GMB/etc. as I simply don't have the same kind of experience with those cars.
I am aware what the difference between those. Maybe you don't get my point or you are getting me wrong. What I am saying is basically the same as what you are saying.

I worked on Toyotas from 1980 -now, MDT, all the certifications, NOT trying to to my horn but, my 2-cents.

The last GMB I used on Toyota personal Toyota Corolla 4A-LC (2V head)bearing went out in <10k miles.
This H2O pump is not :cry: easy to change.
That cured me of using GMB :nono:.
Seen more issues from GMB when used on multiple Toyota models.
Aisin is my Preferred non-dealer part. I ass-u-me aftermarket replacements are OEM quality.

I have had LCE (22R engine nuts) seem to suggest otherwise about Aisin also....
They sold us their "Preferred pump" for a 3VZ (2V head), it wouldn't even bolt to the block properly (casting dowel holes too small)....their response..."We never seen that problem" and "Well :hmm: we don't work on many 3VZ engines".
My gut told me to use Aisin (OEM PART) and I should have followed it.

Not that the Mitsubishi parts champion of the world needs me to confirm anything for him but I will anyways.

I have both the NTN and Koyo idler and tensioner pulleys in their respective boxes and they are a 100% match to the OEM pulleys in the Mitsu boxes.

Also, the Aisin water pump 'trick' has been known for nearly 20 years. I know for certain in the early 2000s I was using them.
Care to share this pump trick?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back