The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Is it my transmission? NV-T350

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jericho777

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 21, 2009
Central, Massachusetts
My son now has my car and the transmission is making noise. He says there is a noise only in first and second gear the rest are fine. When I drive the car and start off lightly it is quiet but any harder launches sound like something is chattering? or rocks getting ground up? I've only tested on my street because I don't want to have towed home LOL! The sound is hard to describe but it makes a real racket if you get on it. When idling with the clutch in or in neutral there is no sound. I do not know the age of the clutch. When I rebuilt the engine 3 yrs ago I reused the clutch and throw out bearing because they looked pretty decent. There is evidence the tranny has had work done to it. I did regrease the throw out bearing. There was incorrect trans fluid from the previous owner that I changed. The clutch starts to engage about 2 inches or so off the floor. I jacked the car up all the wheels spin freely the wheel bearinge seem fine. Any ideas ? Thanks in advance.

I have basically the same exact problem. I have a new clutch and TOB tho. I'm pretty sure its the TOB, I just used the one that came with my clutch. I'm dropping my transmission tonight to inspect the TOB. Ill let you know if thats what it is. If its not that...then I have no idea.

My son now has my car and the transmission is making noise. He says there is a noise only in first and second gear the rest are fine. When I drive the car and start off lightly it is quiet but any harder launches sound like something is chattering? or rocks getting ground up? I've only tested on my street because I don't want to have towed home LOL! The sound is hard to describe but it makes a real racket if you get on it. When idling with the clutch in or in neutral there is no sound. I do not know the age of the clutch. When I rebuilt the engine 3 yrs ago I reused the clutch and throw out bearing because they looked pretty decent. There is evidence the tranny has had work done to it. I did regrease the throw out bearing. There was incorrect trans fluid from the previous owner that I changed. The clutch starts to engage about 2 inches or so off the floor. I jacked the car up all the wheels spin freely the wheel bearinge seem fine. Any ideas ? Thanks in advance.
I'm real sure its not your TOB.

All the rest of what you have described is normal (except the noise of course, LOL). From your description, it does sound like you have a problem with the tranny (be it in the differential or the trans itself). Either way, to fix that would require you to pull it out and look at it (I'm also not fond of the incorrect fluid part)

Funny how you start of with "My son now has my car". Does said son enjoy doing "holeshots"? You know where I'm going with that.

I would double check (to be sure) the motor mounts, wheel bearings and axles first (all things that could generate noises that you are refering to. From your description, the clutch is not a choice), but it does seem that you are heading in the direction of tranny.

MB

I'm real sure its not your TOB.

All the rest of what you have described is normal (except the noise of course, LOL). From your description, it does sound like you have a problem with the tranny (be it in the differential or the trans itself). Either way, to fix that would require you to pull it out and look at it (I'm also not fond of the incorrect fluid part)

Funny how you start of with "My son now has my car". Does said son enjoy doing "holeshots"? You know where I'm going with that.

I would double check (to be sure) the motor mounts, wheel bearings and axles first (all things that could generate noises that you are refering to. From your description, the clutch is not a choice), but it does seem that you are heading in the direction of tranny.

MB

As far as the fluid goes that was 3000 miles ago. There were tiny metal flecks when I changed the tranny fluid. It shifts fine through all the gears. The last time I drove the car it was making a sound like there was a flat spot on the tire. I didn't go far and came right back home when I noticed the noise (about 1/4 mile). I can't say if it was related or not.

To be honest I haven't been driving the car much over the past 3 years, my son needs a car. He's only been driving it for a week. That's all I am going to say about that :sneaky:

I jacked the car up and all 4 wheels spin freely no binding at all. The wheel bearings seem fine too. There is no clicking from the outer cv joint. It making noise in a straight line. I had a thought of may be the inner cv joint and the differential that was on my mind too.

I'm way busy with work and family and everything else. I want to make a correct diagnosis to save time. I will drain the tranny to see if there are any metal shavings. How can you tell if it is the diff?

If I pull the tranny URGH! should I rebuild myself or go to the pull apart? AZ has a kit for $499 and I don't think that's everything. Do you know a better place? You don't know what you 're getting from the pull apart either. I really don't have any time and my son needs a car.

Well I don't think it's the trans or a driveline issue. My son took it for state inspection because the 7 days were up and they would cancel the insurance. When they plugged in the scan tool it threw a p0171 code for lean bank 1. I recently replaced the o2 sensor with an ebay splice together unit because the car was idling a little rough and could smell raw gas at the tail pipe. It idles a little better but still smells of gas.

There were several issues going on with the vehicle but all the noise was coming from the rear trans bolts stripping out. The engine was easy to rock back and forth. That was my first clue also all that noise was was only in forward motion not in reverse.

The solution was a 10+ on the PITA scale. I did not have a right angle drill so I had to use my tap handle to hold the drill bit to hand drill the holes so I could use a thread insert....2 hours later it's fixed!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back